ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proposed new system spec - comments

Dirty E91
tyring to make my mind up about whether to purchase a system or build one, had a look at OC UK and cam eup with this...

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS4 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Akasa AK-ZEN-01-BK Zen Black Case
Hiper HPU-4M580 Type R 580W ATX2.2 PSU

Comments and advice welcome.

172 Cup
Looks fine from here mate. The Gigabyte is meant to be the best Core 2 Duo mobo out at the moment and that G.Skill is nice stuff.

Dirty E91
if it all comes from OC UK comes to just under £800.

Are the new 1900 XT cards from ATI better than the Nvidia 7900's?

well looking at the spec on their website it was hard to tell on the comparison page anyway websites soo bloody slow tho i got bored waiting for it to load

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
You know that SATA2 won't run any faster for you unless you have several drives? All it increases is the total bandwidth for all drives on the controller so I wouldn't look at it as any advantage in a normal system. Looks like a pretty nice set up but I personally wouldn't bother with dual core until you need it. There's nothing that really uses it yet so I'm waiting til it'll be worthwhile having - by that time they'll probably be twice the speed for a similar price. Saying that I know plenty of people who have paid out anyway. Either way that list should run pretty sweet :)

martynh said:
if it all comes from OC UK comes to just under £800.

Are the new 1900 XT cards from ATI better than the Nvidia 7900's?

I would say a definite on that, I only buy ATI now, the Catalyst control centre that comes with it is good and my ati card plays games like Doom3 without an issue, the reports i have read on the 7900's arent great, even nvidia themselves lol

"EVGA hears our customer’s concerns loud and clear about the issues on EVGA 7900 series products. We definitely need to improve our quality control and tighten the testing procedure on the EVGA CO, KO and SuperClocked™ product line. There is no excuse for not providing the best quality products to gamers, that’s EVGA’s spirit. We don’t fear the problems or escape from the problems, we are confident the problem will be resolved shortly. Thank you for everyone’s patients and encouragement."

Loads of problems here - http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Dirty E91
Thanks guys, the only reason I'm going dual core is that I'm not likely to be changing this for a while, I can always change the CPU when the more powerful ones come down a bit in price.

Revels Mum & Sister
No reason to go Dual Core except for the fact they wipe the floor with the AMD's

Also the 6400 will easily clock to 3.2-3.4Ghz on Air stable with the DS4 Giga. The other model Gigabyte isnt meant to be to great for overclocking.

MY stuff comes tomorrow. Very sim to yours. Except I went for the Conroe E6600.

Would have got it all cheaper but our supplier at work supplies OCUK and they basically bought EVERY X1900 and Core Duo chip they had at the time. Will probs build mine tomorrow.

There's little doubt that the Conroes are doing maximum Jean Claud Van Damage just now. But it's all a balance against pricing. Part of me wishes I had gone Intel but the other half knows I am getting serious pwnage in games, especially with my 7950GX2.

I largely agree with Rasclart though. The Conros are pwning very hard. If I didnt own a GX2 I'd personally be bothered, but I do so I'm not :D

But this isnt about me lol, and I reckon that rig will be a gaming monster so go for it :approve: