ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Prospective Clio Owner

Chevrolet Corvette
Hi folks,

Martin from Glasgow here. I was an avid poster on here back around 2007 when I owned my 197 but my account seemed to disappear some years later.
Fast forward to now, and I'm in the market for another Renaultsport, and the 182 is what I have my eye on this time round (although the idea of a 172 isn't something I've completely written off).

My current fun car, believe it or not, is a C5 Corvette, but I want back into a hot hatch and I think the 182 might just be the answer. I bought a Corsa VXR back in 2011 and whilst I am very tempted to go in this direction, I fancy the 172/182 because I've never owned one and, like most of us, I recognise that this type of car will be even more of a distant memory than it 's becoming already!

I'm OCD when it comes to cars, so I'm looking for a very well cared for example which has low miles ( ideally less than 40-50k). I'm keeping my eye out on here and on the other usual sites. If anyone knows of anyone or if you yourself have something that might fit the bill, please get in touch (I'm also on Instagram: @mr_glasgow84).

Hopefully, I'll end up back in an RS in the near future and I can become a member on here and contribute something to the forum!

Cheers,

Martin

Chevrolet Corvette
Just to add to this, I searched for my 197's VRM and found my old account (MTM). I think it must be attached to an old AOL e-mail account I no longer have access to. Is there anyway I can have the account transferred?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome back. @Nik might be able to sort your old account out.

Sub 50k cars are rare these days, or sat idle for years while folk hope they appreciate. If it's been sat it will still need a few bob spending on all the dried out bushes etc. I wouldn't be too set on an ultra low mileage one.

Chevrolet Corvette
Welcome back. @Nik might be able to sort your old account out.

Sub 50k cars are rare these days, or sat idle for years while folk hope they appreciate. If it's been sat it will still need a few bob spending on all the dried out bushes etc. I wouldn't be too set on an ultra low mileage one.
Thanks for this. Yes, need to consider all possibilities but leaning towards lower mileage at the moment.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for this. Yes, need to consider all possibilities but leaning towards lower mileage at the moment.
Like @Clio_fool says. You'll be hard pushed to find one sub 50k miles. You're really limiting yourself there mate.
If it was me I'd raise my limit to around 70 or 80k miles and a well cared for example. Chances are any problems or parts that will have needed replacing will have been done.
And it'll be hell of a lot cheaper.

Chevrolet Corvette
Like @Clio_fool says. You'll be hard pushed to find one sub 50k miles. You're really limiting yourself there mate.
If it was me I'd raise my limit to around 70 or 80k miles and a well cared for example. Chances are any problems or parts that will have needed replacing will have been done.
And it'll be hell of a lot cheaper.
Thanks Billy. I understand - just interested to see what might be available via the forum that fits the bill. I'm not in a great rush, so I'll just monitor the various forums and get a feel for what's out there.

I have my eye on a couple of lovely 172s...just need to do my research to determine if I'd regret a 172 over a 182.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
172 v 182 thers barely anything in it spec wise unless your eyeing up a 172 cup. Then you've got to consider how well you'd get along without air con and abs and a horrible 00's interior trim. Condition over everything when shopping for these nowadays.

Chevrolet Corvette
172 v 182 thers barely anything in it spec wise unless your eyeing up a 172 cup. Then you've got to consider how well you'd get along without air con and abs and a horrible 00's interior trim. Condition over everything when shopping for these nowadays.
Thanks Fool, food for thought...

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome I’m in Glasgow as well. Echo the comments above about condition over mileage above. Really depends what you’re after really and if you’re going to use the thing or not. Renomotive in fife are fairly local for any spare parts you may need as well they are on Facebook and instagram.

I’ve always found 172s being a bit less a pain in the back side when coming to electrical issues as they have less bits to worry about. But if you can’t live without cruise / traction control then it’s best go for a 182.

What are your actual plans for one is it just to polish and sit on the drive or do you plan to use it for some weekend road trips or track days?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Another Glesga lad, welcome along mate👋🏽

You’re going to need to part with strong money for what you’ve described, i was sent a titanium 182 on Facebook that was absolutely pristine, it was 9k though. I could find out if its still available?

Chevrolet Corvette
Welcome I’m in Glasgow as well. Echo the comments above about condition over mileage above. Really depends what you’re after really and if you’re going to use the thing or not. Renomotive in fife are fairly local for any spare parts you may need as well they are on Facebook and instagram.

I’ve always found 172s being a bit less a pain in the back side when coming to electrical issues as they have less bits to worry about. But if you can’t live without cruise / traction control then it’s best go for a 182.

What are your actual plans for one is it just to polish and sit on the drive or do you plan to use it for some weekend road trips or track days?
Hi Mcaff - thanks, will look that company up.

I didn't realise the 172 doesn't have traction control but not necessarily a deal breaker. I would never use cruise control so no problems there.

As for plans - a bit of both. I'm into detailing so I'd be looking to get it as pristine as possible but would also like to get back out on some road trips, up to Knockhill and the ultimate...the Ring!

I'd likely fit a bucket seat as I'm a tall guy and alongside brakes and tyres, would hope to have a well sorted RS to enjoy.

It wouldn't be my daily so won't cover big miles either.

Chevrolet Corvette
Another Glesga lad, welcome along mate👋🏽

You’re going to need to part with strong money for what you’ve described, i was sent a titanium 182 on Facebook that was absolutely pristine, it was 9k though. I could find out if its still available?
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Was this the one for sale in Kilbirnie? I would have bought that 100%. I messaged the seller but it had sold.

£10150, 2004, 33k miles - I actually took a screen recording of the advert and pics and it's now my benchmark you might say. Just bad timing!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thanks mate, appreciate it. Was this the one for sale in Kilbirnie? I would have bought that 100%. I messaged the seller but it had sold.

£10150, 2004, 33k miles - I actually took a screen recording of the advert and pics and it's now my benchmark you might say. Just bad timing!

I’m honestly unsure mate, i’ll find out and PM you buddy. I bought an immaculate Racing Blue 200 with all the desirable options but just did not gel with it at all, kept it 3 months and got rid! I’ve had 7 Clio 172/182’s and rate them higher than the 200 personally!

Chevrolet Corvette
I’m honestly unsure mate, i’ll find out and PM you buddy. I bought an immaculate Racing Blue 200 with all the desirable options but just did not gel with it at all, kept it 3 months and got rid! I’ve had 7 Clio 172/182’s and rate them higher than the 200 personally!
Thanks, that's good of you. I have always liked the 200 and think it's a nicer looking car than the 197 before it.

The 172/182 itch for me is just something I need to address. You're a good man to know if you've had 7 of them!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks Billy. I understand - just interested to see what might be available via the forum that fits the bill. I'm not in a great rush, so I'll just monitor the various forums and get a feel for what's out there.

I have my eye on a couple of lovely 172s...just need to do my research to determine if I'd regret a 172 over a 182.
I had a 172 from new for 4 years. I've now had my 182 from new for almost 17 years. I can't believe how fast time as gone lol.
Looks wise. I prefer the 182, the wheels the twin exhaust. As for performance there's nothing in it at all.
I think some of the very late 172s had cruise and traction control, but its probably not that many.

Chevrolet Corvette
I had a 172 from new for 4 years. I've now had my 182 from new for almost 17 years. I can't believe how fast time as gone lol.
Looks wise. I prefer the 182, the wheels the twin exhaust. As for performance there's nothing in it at all.
Good to know Billy. I agree re. the looks of the 182.

Does it take much to increase the power on these to say, the 200 mark?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

It takes some work to raise them to 182 😂😂😂. Imo they are fast enough for the B roads where they excel and handling and braking mods are more effective than chasing a few extra bhp.
Unless you boost it that is 🤔.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thanks, that's good of you. I have always liked the 200 and think it's a nicer looking car than the 197 before it.

The 172/182 itch for me is just something I need to address. You're a good man to know if you've had 7 of them!

I learned a hell of a lot along the way with them for sure mate!

I’ve messaged the lad to see what the state of play is, it was a very nice example!

Chevrolet Corvette
It takes some work to raise them to 182 😂😂😂. Imo they are fast enough for the B roads where they excel and handling and braking mods are more effective than chasing a few extra bhp.
Unless you boost it that is 🤔.
Again, good to know. Cheers.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member

You’re welcome to come a ride along in mine once I’ve dug it out of storage for summer. 190bhp with cams etc

They are perfectly useable for all the stuff you’ve mentioned. Mines on 107k and If the weather was better I’d drive to the ring in it tomorrow.
AA9829F0-459C-4F7B-AC8F-A9BC39CCDE43.jpeg
0E1E8ED9-DA09-4F2F-8D8B-FEF810E085FC.jpeg
2903A01A-277E-4AD0-9EC5-F167600D5F06.jpeg

Chevrolet Corvette
  Chevrolet Corvette
I've driven a Corsa VXR and can safely say that if you liked that you would love a 172/182, other than seats I found the little Clio better in nearly every way.
Yeah, the VXR's seats were great, if a tad high for me. Nothing that can't be fixed with an aftermarket option in the 172/182.

I had an Up GTi when they first came out, first one registered in Scotland. Low power and not a 'proper' GTi as some might say, but a cracking car that just needed better seats...and damping, which was terrible.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, the VXR's seats were great, if a tad high for me. Nothing that can't be fixed with an aftermarket option in the 172/182.

I had an Up GTi when they first came out, first one registered in Scotland. Low power and not a 'proper' GTi as some might say, but a cracking car that just needed better seats...and damping, which was terrible.
If you get one you should join up on here - its a great place for information and the people (on the whole) are genuinely nice... plus the for sale sections are always packed with good stuff (y)

A while back there was someone who went from a 182 to an up GTI and loved it, said it was a slower but more modern 182 which I thought was high praise.

Chevrolet Corvette
If you get one you should join up on here - its a great place for information and the people (on the whole) are genuinely nice... plus the for sale sections are always packed with good stuff (y)

A while back there was someone who went from a 182 to an up GTI and loved it, said it was a slower but more modern 182 which I thought was high praise.
I will do 👍🏼

Yeah, it was a great car but hit a pothole and you were almost guaranteed a puncture...as I found out one winter on several occasions. You were dodging one and hitting another, the roads in Glasgow were so bad!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if its been mentioned above but when you start looking at them (regardless of miles)...

Timing belts are a bit of a c**ty job, big engine, small bay - if your not doing them yourself its over £500 in most places now. Timing belt is a 5 year job, aux belt (for alternator and other accessories) is a 3 year interval - I forget miles but mostly its years rather than miles as people drive them less than they used to.

I've not actually come across many timing belt failures (or read about them here) mostly the auxiliary belt fails first which takes the timing belt out and causes damage.

Gearboxes are ok but not exactly rugged. The 182 box had a better supported diff bearing which is better then the 172. The syncros are the weak bit on the 182, usually the 3rd gear synchro goes first - easy to identify with a fast change into 3rd. Boxes are painful to remove and another £500+ job to have refurbished.

Parts are slowly running out and they aren't as popular as other cars so the aftermarket isn't making parts to replace the discontinued Renault parts.

Saying all of that - the rest of the car is pretty well engineered and no worse than anything else. The above wouldn't put me off buying/owing one but might help you choose between two cars or to negotiate a better price from the seller.

Chevrolet Corvette
Not sure if its been mentioned above but when you start looking at them (regardless of miles)...

Timing belts are a bit of a c**ty job, big engine, small bay - if your not doing them yourself its over £500 in most places now. Timing belt is a 5 year job, aux belt (for alternator and other accessories) is a 3 year interval - I forget miles but mostly its years rather than miles as people drive them less than they used to.

I've not actually come across many timing belt failures (or read about them here) mostly the auxiliary belt fails first which takes the timing belt out and causes damage.

Gearboxes are ok but not exactly rugged. The 182 box had a better supported diff bearing which is better then the 172. The syncros are the weak bit on the 182, usually the 3rd gear synchro goes first - easy to identify with a fast change into 3rd. Boxes are painful to remove and another £500+ job to have refurbished.

Parts are slowly running out and they aren't as popular as other cars so the aftermarket isn't making parts to replace the discontinued Renault parts.

Saying all of that - the rest of the car is pretty well engineered and no worse than anything else. The above wouldn't put me off buying/owing one but might help you choose between two cars or to negotiate a better price from the seller.
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I hadn't considered the prospect of discontinued parts tbh!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for taking the time to write that. I hadn't considered the prospect of discontinued parts tbh!
I can testify to this as I've almost finished my 182 RB restoration - have a read if you've got a few spare hours. https://cliosport.net/threads/resto...rt-in-racing-blue.840322/page-5#post-12380859

Sold my other 2 182's last year, partly because I couldn't get the parts I needed to do a full resto. So the plan was to just focus on the 1 and then run it as a daily. Or I may sell it if the price is right.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
You're welcome. Its not a major issue for mechanical parts - the common jobs you end up doing (engine parts/clutches etc.). But annoying parts like wheel arch liners.

A few years ago it was fine, Renault discontinued a bunch of parts but the cars were still cheap so lots were getting broken. Now the cars are more expensive fewer get broken so parts availability can be a bit annoying. I can't think of more examples other than the arch liners but I know there will be more!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You're welcome. Its not a major issue for mechanical parts - the common jobs you end up doing (engine parts/clutches etc.). But annoying parts like wheel arch liners.

A few years ago it was fine, Renault discontinued a bunch of parts but the cars were still cheap so lots were getting broken. Now the cars are more expensive fewer get broken so parts availability can be a bit annoying. I can't think of more examples other than the arch liners but I know there will be more!
Off the top of my head you can't get the following genuine parts and as you say many 3rd party makers no longer do them:

Arch-liners
182 Cup Springs - front and rear
Xenon headlamp levelling sensor - sits on the rear subframe
OSF Wishbone
NSR ABS Sensor - although i think the aftermarket version is still available
Airbox and pipes
Sump covers
Bonnet and bulkhead sound deadening
Boot mat
High-level brake lights
Fuse box under bonnet
Starter motors (only refurbished ones) and heat shield
Rear heat shield (above back box)
Tons of bolts, screws, grommets, interior trims
Seat belts and that little bracket and cover that the inertia belt goes through
Plastic cam belt cover
Battery bracket
Gearknob
Cabasse stereo updated
Steering angle sensors
Seats
Driveshafts - 3rd party still available

Probably loads more I can't think of. Mine is original (genuine parts) other than the springs and exhaust, but not many, if any, are in original condition.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yes drive shafts!

But as you say some of the list is available as aftermarket. For how long I don't know. Rear ABS sensors are available on Autodoc but I had to buy 6 (not kidding) before the right one arrived, partly my fault.

PS - I have a feeling the level sensor is used on other vehicles too just with a different mounting bracket and arm.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm interesting about the sensors as my local dealer said they couldn't supply any more - a few months ago now.

Reading between the lines the OP isn't too bothered about modifying so should be ok.

I never struggled to keep the race car going to be fair.