ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 or Xbox?

RIP Dan
Waited until today to see if they would release a PS3 with COD.

No they fcuking haven't.

So do I wait a week or so and see if they do?

Or just get one anyway now?

Amazon will deliver the 250Gb Slim with Unchartered 2 for £236 to my door.

Or do I get a local deal with 2 platinum games for £250?

Bearing in mind I am a casual player who doesn't have loads of time to play games. I am still picking up MK Wii for 20 mins now and again.

I am unlikely to to play online for hours shooting americans (It does appeal though tbh).

So if I go for platinum games, which ones??

No they fcuking haven't.

Bearing in mind I am a casual player who doesn't have loads of time to play games. I am still picking up MK Wii for 20 mins now and again.

I am unlikely to to play online for hours shooting americans (It does appeal though tbh).

Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Uncharted, Infamous, MGS4, and loads more to choose from:D

It's A Reno
The deal is done. :)
I have a 250gig Xbox in front of me. Forza 3 is on and I am v happy tbh. :D

Nothing at the mo :(

No they fcuking haven't.

or be sensible and get a xbox .

Repairs on a xbox = free

disc repair on the PS3 which seems to be very common now = £90 i think someone said :S

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
or be sensible and get a xbox .

Repairs on a xbox = free

disc repair on the PS3 which seems to be very common now = £90 i think someone said :S

not if its in warranty ;)

xbox only give free repair's because they kno their going to breakdown :clown:

Revels Mum & Sister
I have both. Until Uncharted came out the PS3 has not even been plugged in for a while. The 360 controller is a lot better. I much prefer XBOX Live and the 360 Interface than the PS3.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Cant be fucked reading the thread....360 ALL DAY LONG...I have both...PS3 is just a bluray player...

2014 Focus Titanium
One MAJOR flaw with the PS3's controller, which is that my thumbs slip off the analog sticks like so:

ps3xbox.jpg

I have played both consoles EXTENSIVELY and used to be a proper Sony fanboi, now I realise that whilst the PS3 is still an awesome machine (bluray, wireless, etc) the xbox is far better for gaming: LIVE, joypad, variety of games.

Yaris Hybrid
I've owned both and have a PS3 atm.

The main problem with the PS3 pad is that the sticks are in the wrong place. The left stick should be where the D-Pad currently is. The d-pad basically retains the same positioning of the PS1 pad and of course the d-pad in those days was the main control method but not anymore so it fails. The triggers are rubbish too as they kind of pivot in from the top rather than the whole trigger moving in, so your fingers slide off the bottom. Big fail.

But I have had four Xbox 360's, none of them broke (although they did after I sold them on) and I sold them during various game droughts in the consoles life when I was bored.

I have a PS3 now. It is smaller and quieter and well I just wanted something different but to be honest I game on my PC and I got the PS3 as a small quiet movie player.

That said, Wipeout in 1080p is the best looking console game I have seen on any format and the rest of the games are pretty much identical to 360 version. If you do side by side comparisons then yeah the 360 is better as you might spot odd differences and slight drop in frame rate but basically they are identical to the eye when playing normally.

I haven't played PS3 online so can't compare with Xbox Live. One big issue, none of my mates have PS3's as they all have 360's so I don't have anyone to play with now. But as I said I wanted a Bluray/DVD player without a noisy jet turbine fan more than I wanted a games console.

I've owned both and have a PS3 atm.

The main problem with the PS3 pad is that the sticks are in the wrong place. The left stick should be where the D-Pad currently is. The d-pad basically retains the same positioning of the PS1 pad and of course the d-pad in those days was the main control method but not anymore so it fails. The triggers are rubbish too as they kind of pivot in from the top rather than the whole trigger moving in, so your fingers slide off the bottom. Big fail.

But I have had four Xbox 360's, none of them broke (although they did after I sold them on) and I sold them during various game droughts in the consoles life when I was bored.

I have a PS3 now. It is smaller and quieter and well I just wanted something different but to be honest I game on my PC and I got the PS3 as a small quiet movie player.

That said, Wipeout in 1080p is the best looking console game I have seen on any format and the rest of the games are pretty much identical to 360 version. If you do side by side comparisons then yeah the 360 is better as you might spot odd differences and slight drop in frame rate but basically they are identical to the eye when playing normally.

I haven't played PS3 online so can't compare with Xbox Live. One big issue, none of my mates have PS3's as they all have 360's so I don't have anyone to play with now. But as I said I wanted a Bluray/DVD player without a noisy jet turbine fan more than I wanted a games console.

Very good explanation:clap:

clio 182 black /gold
I have a Wii ATM and im thinking of getting a console. They both seem to be as good as each other. The last time i had a console was the original Playstation and original xbox. I enjoyed playing the resident evil game and grand theft auto on the PS1. My question is can you play the older xbox games on the new console? Lee.

Octy VRS
Now, with all this PSN business a lot of people may be thinking down the Xbox route. Please don't troll, I just want to know IF I got one what can I use it for and which one to go for. I've never looked into it before.

I currently use the PS3 as my main media centre. I record and watch TV, store films and kid's shows for my son. I don't store and play that much music on it anymore but have the option if I want to. I stream stuff from my laptop sometimes when I can't be arsed to transfer. Watch DVD's, Blu Rays etc. And play games of course.

I don't have a spare £200+ to buy one as well as having the PS3 so would be trading a 60GB launch model. Question is can I do all that on the Xbox, bar Blu Ray which I'm not that fussed about as upscaled DVD's look pretty good anyway on a 32"? I notice there is only a 4GB and 250GB now. If I got the 4GB can I just plug in an external drive and play stuff? Is there iPlayer, 4OD etc?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
360 Slim mate. Great things and a bargain ATM.

You'll have to pay for XBL, obviously. Just get it from a reputable eBay seller. I only paid £18 for the year. Not bad considering it's a massively better experience than PSN.

There's loads of regulars on here that play often too. Black Ops, Forza, FIFA etc etc

Nothing at the mo :(
Like chris said, I got mine from a decent seller on ebay for £19 for 12+1 months so not to bad, Again i personally find Xbox easier to use and better online but that's me

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The PS3's a better media hub though. No BR/iPlayer/4od on the 360, so that might sway you to keep the PS3 if you rely on that.

As a games console though, they're very even... I'd even say the PS3 is stronger, it's certainly got the better hardware. But the downside of that is that it's a c*nt to work with for third-party developers, and in the end, it's the user that gets stung.

For £18 a year, XBL's awesome. Huge content, really decent UI and networking is MUCH better than the PS3.

Then there's the 360 pad, which is awesome. Proper triggers FTW. The lack of them cripple the PS3 pad.

In the end though, it's what you want from the machine. The PS3's a great media hub and has LOADS of advantages too.

Octy VRS
I have 2 controllers, Play TV, Eye etc. Where would be best to trade HMV?

What about the drive issue? Can you just plug in an external and use that?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not a clue mate. Shop around, I'm sure they'll be keen to do you a deal.

Try Gamestation. In my experience, they've always been more willing to haggle, being a smaller company.

Mito Sportiva 135
Oska it is in 2 versions, get the 250 GB though as it's not much more expensive. You can't plug in an external HD as you can do on PS3.

Not sure about iPlayer but it has Sky Player which is AMAZING if you know someone with Sky....you can stream media from yuor PC (well games certainly, not sure about films but presumably you can).

I'd look to trade in at game as you might find some decent "as new" stuff in there and get a better trade in price.

1.8 Civic EX
Oska it is in 2 versions, get the 250 GB though as it's not much more expensive. You can't plug in an external HD as you can do on PS3.

Not sure about iPlayer but it has Sky Player which is AMAZING if you know someone with Sky....you can stream media from yuor PC (well games certainly, not sure about films but presumably you can).

I'd look to trade in at game as you might find some decent "as new" stuff in there and get a better trade in price.

yes you can, i do it all the time.

Several films/tv shows etc on my external drive, just plug it into the xbox and away it goes, I also have my gamer profile on a small USB stick, so when I go round my mates I can take it with me and log in on his machine with my profile. (obviously thats my profile only and not game save data etc)

1.8 Civic EX
yup, as long and the file is the right format (I forget which ones it supports now though!), some of them you need to install a quick update to play but that takes literally seconds. Also they don't need to be in specifically named folders (I believe they have to be for the PS3? might be wrong though)

The drive comes up like a very basic folder browser, drill down through the folders to the file you want and hit play.

Octy VRS
You don't have to put them in specific folders on PS3 but it helps. Otherwise you get like what you describe, which is no real problem.

Mito Sportiva 135
yes you can, i do it all the time.

Several films/tv shows etc on my external drive, just plug it into the xbox and away it goes, I also have my gamer profile on a small USB stick, so when I go round my mates I can take it with me and log in on his machine with my profile. (obviously thats my profile only and not game save data etc)

Really? Didn't know you could do that - although thinking about it it makes sense as you can stream from your PC, so kind of the same thing I suppose! Cheers for the info!

Octy VRS
Ok, PS3 YLOD! Sony pissed me off with the £134 replacement refurb offer with a pathetic 3 month warranty. So after it breaks in 6 months I'll have to do it again. Lost all game saves etc so have to start afresh with new games which I'm looking forward to.

Going to sell everything on Ebay and get a 360 instead. Best deals under £200? Want Forza.