ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 YLOD...FAO Gally

Bumder With A Buffer
You really should of let me fix yours shouldn't you ;)....

Mate at 5-a-side gave this to me last night to see what I could do with it..had the Yellow Light Of Death. Half an hour or so at work this morning and.........

0d479d83.jpg

0a4a221f.jpg

66818ead.jpg

09104269.jpg

a7719b33.jpg

[youtube]Jai7_nVQK6c[/youtube]

Bumder With A Buffer
f**k knows to be honest Scutch. First one I have done with the YLOD (its a first model outside of warranty) and I havent been able to get my hands on one until now.

Had it running all morning and it seems fine but no TV to test it on at work.

Shal we take bets?? Il say a month! :)

Edit if it goes again il stick it through our proper all singing/dancing reflow machine which can check the pins too. I did this one by hand.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
No doubting it's much better than sending it off to Sony, and if it does go again, you'll know what to do. Just wonder if it's going to f*ck up a lot more often now.

Clever stuff, though. Nice work :cool:

Bumder With A Buffer
To be honest if the repair is done properly then there should be no reason for it to happen again. Wouldnt surprise me that sites advertise you to send to your ps3 off to them for repair do sooo many that they dont take much care and just bang a s**tload out per day.

Obviously being the first one I have done I may well find I need to change the technique used but meh thats the fun of playing with s**t isn't it :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
:(

I'll price up postage! It's cost me about £60 so far and it broke after 2 weeks.

On another note have you heard the machine working overtime when online gaming? It seems that's what killed mine mate.

none :(
will sony not replace it for you.

mine broke last june and it was out of warrenty, rang sony, they sent me a new machine next day foc

Bumder With A Buffer
What was wrong with it in the end?
Doesn't look complicated at all, nothing compared to a proper PC.

Similar issue to the XBOX clamp issue and dry solder joints to be honest.

Reflow/heat the CPU, GPU and new heatsink compound.

Its a bit of a git to get down to that level though but theres fcuk on the main board as you can see. Quite interesting really for a geek like me :)

I have had my fan sound like a jet a few times Gally but touchwood its still going.

Sony wouldnt touch his one apparently, (according to him), they wanted £70 just to try and fix it...I will charge him a few beers/ £10 :)

Like I say touchwood that the "repair" lasts...just have to wait and see really.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Mine fucked it self this morning. Turned it on and within 5 mins it was dead, I managed to save my mw2 disc though.
I rang sony they said that they can replace it fir £140!! That's for a reconditioned one with 3 months warranty so not worth the risk. I'll probably just by a new one. I'll pop it open and have a look tomorrow though

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
well took it apart and stuck the mothorboard in the oven and put it back together. Then soiled my pants when it started working, as the people who have me on their friend list can see.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Honestly mate? I'm thinking about trying this.

How hard is it to take apart? I know nothing much about taking computers.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Fairly simple mate just need a Phillips head and another wierd one. There are guides on YouTube there was a good one I'll track down for you. The oven thing got it working not sure how long it will work