ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulley Locking Tool - What Goes Where?

RB 182
As title

Have all the correct tools from Renault, just looking at them (cars at home), and doesnt look obvious how they fit on!

Ive got the single gear, and the plate with the two gears on

A quick pic or brief explanation would really be appreciated!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
46afbe7c.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its for non renault sport models I believe, but I have only ever done renaultsport so cant tell you which ones (all without dephasor I assume)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Ah! Always though the tool came setup for others and you had to change it for the sports. Fair enough.

Make sure you don't get the crank locking tool in the wrong place on the crankshaft and search for advice on equalising the belts tension and setting the tensioner. You really shouldn't attempt this if your not experienced with interference pulleys and have done plenty of research on the niggles of doing this on an F4R.

Saying that if you end up with a settled belt, the tensioner is set right and the tools fit back in then the jobs a good 'un.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed, very easy to hit a balance drilling in the crank instead of the TDC one, the pin should slide right in all the way, if it doenst quite you are in the wrong hole!

RB 182
My thoughts too.

Have some faith guys - im a tech for Audi and deal with floating pulleys all the time on the TFSi engines, plus this is the 2nd F4R belt ive done, the first I didnt use this tool but thought id give it a whirl this time
Dan@SJM does it replace the top or bottom gear on the tool?

Have some faith guys
Exactly, whenever it comes to someone changing their own belts the assumption is they have no idea whereas the opposite is usually true. I have seen more horror stories from dealers changing the belts opposed to DIY.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Just checking! You wouldn't be the first experienced mechanic to muck it up :p A lot of the crank location issues are due to someone previously mucking it up.

In short the pulley tool is a multi engine tool.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Other way round, it comes for non dephaser models and you change it to a dephaser model with MOT1509-01

Cool, thanks for clarifying, I obviously swapped mine over before I first used it and have never needed to swap it back as I only do renaultsports so mine is other way around, lol.

RB 182
She's running, all correctly timed, rotated backwards before torquing then turned over and the tools slotted in beautifully

Built it back up, took her for a run and that 5k kick is one of the most pronounced ive felt in my 4 previous 172s!

Start to finish 3hrs, although I have no A/C or acoustic pipe work

The pulley tool is a godsend, had much more faith nothing would moe whist torquing the pulleys up

Many.
I use the flywheel mark to get the crank pin location. Get it where I think it is roughly using the cams and then find the mark on the flywheel, line it up with the bell housing mark before slipping in the locking pin.
Faxo I was looking forward to doing the belt & dephaser on that car due to the cup aux setup.

RB 182
AlexW Subframes being changed this morning, have also got two CUP arms, and all new ball joints and ARB bushes. Got a KTec Stealth to go on too, dont know weather u saw whats on it now, but im pretty sure it's a 1.2 back box!

Many.
Sweet! It'll be as good as it looks then.

I did see the exhaust, did look like a proper bodge job, sounded alright considering.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Nicely done! Engine noise is pretty good on these which is why the kwik fit special exhaust on mine will only be changed when it dies. No chance of failing a noise test is a bonus.