ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulsing dash and headlights at idle

Clio 182 cup
Hi All,

So I bought my first Clio back in Jan to use as an occasional daily and track day car.
I noticed right away that at idle the engine seems to pulse a little and the headlights pulse too. I've found an old post on here from a previous owner about the headlights pulsing so this doesn't seem to be an issue given how long it's been happening. I've probably done around 1000 miles init including my first track day at Snetterton and had no major issues.

Now I have noticed that the battery and STOP lights have started pulsing too (see video), this is new. The lights tend to fade as the revs climb but I did notice them faintly staying on while driving when I went to the supermarket yesterday. Does this indicate the alternator is on it's way out? Is there an easy way for me to check this myself? I quickly price checked an alternator and they don't seem cheap so I don't want to change it if that's not the issue.

Obviously I don't want to break down in our current situation so I'm going to use my other car for now until I can have this sorted.

Thanks in advance for the help and stay safe everyone!
IMG_4947.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5066.MOV
    24.8 MB

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It does sound like an alternator/ battery issue.
First step would be test with a multimeter. You should be looking at around 14 - 14.5V with the engine running and 12.6V with the engine off.
It could also be a bad earth or the wire coming off the alternator.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I remember that clio disappearing into the distance, around the G wagon at snetterton!
Definitely sounds like an alternator issue. If you increase the load on the electrics (use air con or fans) does it get worse?

Clio 182 cup
I remember that clio disappearing into the distance, around the G wagon at snetterton!
Definitely sounds like an alternator issue. If you increase the load on the electrics (use air con or fans) does it get worse?

Ha Ha! It was a fun day and my first time on track, what were you driving? I remember a blue 172 with the oval exhaust? i was really pleased with how the little Jaffa performed overall. That G-Wagon was rapid on the straights but a whale in the twisties! I was more pleased at getting past the lotus elise though. :cool:

Yes, it does get worse if I increase the load.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
No, i was in a silver 172, in the garage with the chaps in a black 182. Also my first time on track.
I'd get a multimeter on it and see the output.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
And has already been mentioned, before you buy a new alternator, check the connections and earths. Could just be a dodgy connection.

Clio 182 cup
Small world! Did you enjoy the day and will you do more?
I had booked up Brands Hatch but it got called off so I have a voucher for when things get back to normal.
Am also going to try to go to Bedford after that too.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had an utterly fantastic time. Loved it. Good to meet a load of like minded people and really fun to push the car and myself. I've got my eye on either brands or another day at snetterton once this is all over.
At least this shutdown gives me some time to sort out my knackered wishbones.