ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pumas

Z4
What do you think of them? Here's my bros 1.7.

DSC_1002web.jpg

DSC_1005editweb.jpg

DSC_1000editweb.jpg

DSC_1004web.jpg

How did that cheeky cup get in there...

MCS R56
Fun cars them - they handle very well but not too quick (not bad though). What figures have you seen and how much faster are they, in your opinion?

Turbos.
Only the FRP is nice... the standard ones are massively under wheeled and the offset is stupid, they look like boats.

Z4
Fun cars them - they handle very well but not too quick (not bad though). What figures have you seen and how much faster are they, in your opinion?

I don't really rate 0-60 figures much, but parkers say it hits 60 in 9.2! Seriously, the car is faster than that. They have a torque limiter in 1st gear, this can easily be removed. I would a more acurate figure would be 8.2 or something.

It's not about the acceleration though really, it's the whole package. My brother picked up the silver thing above for 2.5k...that's with full busseys sh, one owner, 47k. It handles just as well as my cup, and definetily has the fun appeal. Anyone saying only the FRP is good is ignoorant, these are fantastic value for money

Never above 25mpg
Very girly tbh. Shaped like a PH1 Tigra.

I used to know a girl that owned one.

Cougar is the man's version.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Very girly tbh. Shaped like a PH1 Tigra.

I used to know a girl that owned one.

Cougar is the man's version.
Damn straight. It's not like we drive girly french hatchbacks. Oh wait...............................................................

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
it got :) factor that the 1*2's give think there great had one for two weeks me and the finace loved it nice clean up and sold it for tidy profit.
so cheap and cheerful!

Z4
were the older ones quicker (99-00) ?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=17994
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=19800

no power difference, just that the quicker (to 60) older model is 1kg heavier

I'd take parkers figures with a pinch of salt tbh

From autumn 1997 - end of 2001 they did 0-60 in 8.8, then the torque limiter in 1st was uprated even more (stooooopid!) to make it 9.2. Well spotted btw!

The puma certainly has the smile factor, maybe that's why it was given 5* by evo and car of the year by sevral reviewers (top gear inc).

I know my cup cost twice the amount, but it's by no means twice the car.

Never above 25mpg
I never said my 1.4 Clio was better in any respect my friend ;)

I just said I feel it's very girly, sorry if you took offence to my opinion :)

Inferno 182
Looked at getting a FRP before the Clio. Look great, handle like they are on rails but good ones are rare and pretty expensive for the age. Future classic defo.

Trophy
I had a FRP before my trophy. Loved it to bits.

For ultimate levels of grip, I think you'd have to go very expensive to beat it. Brakes were truly, truly fantastic aswell. Sounded fantastic too, lift off the accelerator and it popped and banged :cool:

Gearbox was perfectly weighted aswell

From about 20-60mph it would'nt be to far off the Clio, but otherwise the Clio would be much faster. Puma really didnt like overtaking at 60+

Down a b-road, Clio would be faster

DCP_4339.gif

DCP_4345.gif

Trophy
0-60 7.9

From a rolling start though, until about 65mph it would be pretty close to a 182. Power came in from about 4000rpm, and then screamed all the way to the limited at 7000 - which incidentally was the end of the rev counter which was nice. For instantaneous response/power the 182 is miles better

Couldnt really ever do traffic light GP in one though as when the car was widend, Ford/Tickford didn't create new drive shafts, they just lengthened the ones from the orignal Puma. You can guess the end result.

The standard 1.7 is an absolute peach of a car imo (and this seems to be backed up by pretty much every motoring journalist ever), it's not silly quick, obviously, but much like the MX-5, if you can get past the image it's a brilliant cheap car to own that has the all important grin factor in spades. Don't know why anyone who enjoys driving would dismiss it, to be honest.

I couldn't stretch to one when I sold my Cup, but if I had £2.5k now I'd have one tomorrow.

Very under rated the 1.7 was

Was it? The Performance Car press still rave about it to this day. Never seen a bad word about it.

That FRP just posted up is truly awesome, I love them:approve: I've only ever seen a couple on the road though.
A dude near me had one a while ago, he got an FRS to go with it, his drive looked sweet.

The normal one looked ace in the bond style ad when they launched them. I wanted one years ago when they came out (well a couple of years after they were out) sadly they were too much money for me then.
I'd have a 1.7 one as a run about now, but not as a main car.

Z4
The standard 1.7 is an absolute peach of a car imo (and this seems to be backed up by pretty much every motoring journalist ever), it's not silly quick, obviously, but much like the MX-5, if you can get past the image it's a brilliant cheap car to own that has the all important grin factor in spades. Don't know why anyone who enjoys driving would dismiss it, to be honest.

I couldn't stretch to one when I sold my Cup, but if I had £2.5k now I'd have one tomorrow.

Very under rated the 1.7 was

Was it? The Performance Car press still rave about it to this day. Never seen a bad word about it.

Exactly, I think it's mosly people who haven't driven one slagging it tbh, it does make me laugh how clio drivers are calling them girly though!

The normal one looked ace in the bond style ad when they launched them. I wanted one years ago when they came out (well a couple of years after they were out) sadly they were too much money for me then.
I'd have a 1.7 one as a run about now, but not as a main car.

Bond style advert? It was Steve Mcqueen! Classic advert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAlklV5TZrE

Clio 182
My girl friends got one and I absolutely love driving it. OK, so it is no where near as quick as my 182 but theres enough power and acceleration to keep a smile on your face (from my research it's 8.7 0-60) and the 1.7 engines are sweet, lightweight aluminium and vvt pushing out 125bhp in a car that light (not to shabby).

The major thing it's got going for it is it's handling. I'm still trying to decide if its better than my clio. one things for sure you can chuck it around alot more and its alot more forgiving. Nothing in its class compares to it in terms of handling.

Truth is, after experiencing that much fun from the handling,it's the only reason I went for the clio.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
The wife's got one.

Not in the same league as my cup as far as handling or performance goes.

Superior build quality but that's about it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

For ultimate levels of grip, I think you'd have to go very expensive to beat it. Brakes were truly, truly fantastic aswell. Sounded fantastic too, lift off the accelerator and it popped and banged :cool:

From about 20-60mph it would'nt be to far off the Clio, but otherwise the Clio would be much faster. Puma really didnt like overtaking at 60+

DCP_4339.gif

DCP_4345.gif

^^^^ - looks the tits, that. :approve:

Only ever been a passenger once in a 1.7 version. I had my Punto GT at the time and the Puma simply embarrassed my car in the way it handled. Sounded like the engine loved to be thrashed and seemed to tick a lot of boxes in what made a very good drivers car, from all accounts.

Can't understand why Ford never really followed it up with a successor, tbh?

D.

Z4

DCP_4339.gif

DCP_4345.gif

^^^^ - looks the tits, that. :approve:

Only ever been a passenger once in a 1.7 version. I had my Punto GT at the time and the Puma simply embarrassed my car in the way it handled. Sounded like the engine loved to be thrashed and seemed to tick a lot of boxes in what made a very good drivers car, from all accounts.

Can't understand why Ford never really followed it up with a successor, tbh?

D.

Something to do with Yamaha would only produce a certain amount of the 1.7 engine which suited it so well. I'm sure they could have revised it with another engine but maybe it would have lost its cheeky handling

Z4
Truth is, after experiencing that much fun from the handling,it's the only reason I went for the clio.

lol same here, I thought 'If I'm having this much fun in a puma, think how much fun I could have with the same handline + more power!'