ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put Optimax in after a year off

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Martin_89 said:
TVO vbmenu_register("postmenu_1396842", true); , you can hear it pinking, or thats what the reno garage said it was, its common on driving school cars because of all the slow driving (mine is ex-driving school)

Cheers, never knew you could hear a car pinking, always thought it needed some form of electronic display/gadget i.e. knocklink, det cans etc. You learn something new everyday :)

ph2 172
POW_Clio said:
IIRC there is no real difference between Optimax and normal Unleaded for smaller engined cars - it seems only to make a difference for bigger engined 'performance' models.

I just use normal Shell unleaded

Sorry mate your wrong! I worked for Shell for 3 years and remeber when Optimax first came out. Shell claim that you should notice significant gains regardless of whether you car is "performace" or not. I must say I used it quite often in my old 1.6 Golf and the different was quite noticable especially on cold mornings.

Shell Optimax was not intended just for sports cars, its an all round fuel.

Maz said:
I agree with Daz.. BP are a rip off I would never give them my money .. lol

Only reason I don't use BP is that they're all more expensive than the likes of Shell, etc. where I stay. Just down the road in Grangemouth is the most expensive BP garage ever - always about 4-5p per litre more than the other local garages without fail.

But guess what this BP garagre is located next to in Grangemouth? Yep, the feckin BP refinery... I mean, the fuel only has to travel about 1 mile max between the refinery and the garage!

Octavia VRS
ollie82 said:
Sorry mate your wrong! I worked for Shell for 3 years and remeber when Optimax first came out. Shell claim that you should notice significant gains regardless of whether you car is "performace" or not. I must say I used it quite often in my old 1.6 Golf and the different was quite noticable especially on cold mornings.

Shell Optimax was not intended just for sports cars, its an all round fuel.

Duely noted mate- you will know better than me

I was basing my statement on a test carried out by Fifth Gear I think it was. They tried all the various types of unleaded on a new Clio 1.2, Golf Gti and another sports car. They said Optimax only seemed to be effective for the Golf Gti and the sports car.

Octavia VRS
Ally said:
Only reason I don't use BP is that they're all more expensive than the likes of Shell, etc. where I stay. Just down the road in Grangemouth is the most expensive BP garage ever - always about 4-5p per litre more than the other local garages without fail.

But guess what this BP garagre is located next to in Grangemouth? Yep, the feckin BP refinery... I mean, the fuel only has to travel about 1 mile max between the refinery and the garage!

True mate...very bizarre!