ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put Optimax in after a year off

I put Optimax in my 172cup yesterday, first time for about a yr and what a difference! Theres so much extra bite to it. its snapping my hand off under hard acceleration. quite a improvement.. cost a bit tho..

Der Panzer
I've only ever put Optimax or BP Ultimate in. It's only a couple of extra quid per tank.

I'm tempted to put the cheap stuff in just so I appreciate the difference.

when ever i change from one to the other, the car always plays up the first time i start it.

As i let the petrol light come on before filling up with petrol. So it never wants to start after i put in a different grade of petrol. Once the first start is out the way its fine.

I tend to alternate between the two though, as it is cheaper than optimax all the time, and i cant say i really notice any difference performance wise.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
I just decided to try Texaco's High Octane instead of Optimax and believe it or not i get more miles from the Texaco stuff! I can't really notice any difference in performance either.

Paul

A4 Avant
I know there is probably negligible performance difference, but if Renualt recommend running on it then whom I to be different, especially when it is only about £1.90 more to fill it with super unleaded! Thats less than a pint or a pasty!!!!

My two pence!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i used to run on Optimax all the time, then I switched to the Tesco 99 stuff as all the Shell stations in the area were flattened to the ground and rebuilt. I am now back on Optimax again and can honestly say the car runs better at full pelt.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yeah is very good stuff filled up with £42.00 3 days ago, have done 130 odd miles so far and my mpg computer thing is showing as 250 miles left in the tank, the fuel reading needle is 1 bar above half a tank, thats a combination of thrashing it and driving like an old women.

Obviously if i hadnt been hammering it the mpg would have been alot more, but i remember when i first filled up the trip computer went up to 430 odd miles in the tank, sounds pretty good to me.

Besides no matter how hard i try sometimes does anyone on here struggle to drive slowly, i just love to give it some power even if it does sacrifice my mpg:approve: .

I have 4 optimax stations near me and i think their all 92.9p a litre

P.s my dads ordered one of these and having had a test drive i must say they sound amazing.

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
My car suffered about 4 full tanks of 95ron .. god bless her .. I was a lil skint .. lol

Now she is back on optimax she is as happy as a pig in sh1t .. lol

Maz :)

MY10 R35 GTR
Evo mag did a comparison between Tesco High Octane, BP Ulti and Optimax.
They did the fuel tests on a new M5 and Golf GTI

Bp ultimate was the winner!!
Quote evo
"Explosive low down- sharp response. Wooly top end"

Optimax "On par with Tesco 99 low down but lacks mid range with torque fading slighly earlier. Golf suddenly discovered a top end"

Tesco 99 "Meg mid range, feels laboured to the redline"

Take ur pics boys.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Funnycar55 said:
Evo mag did a comparison between Tesco High Octane, BP Ulti and Optimax.
They did the fuel tests on a new M5 and Golf GTI

Bp ultimate was the winner!!
Quote evo
"Explosive low down- sharp response. Wooly top end"

Optimax "On par with Tesco 99 low down but lacks mid range with torque fading slighly earlier. Golf suddenly discovered a top end"

Tesco 99 "Meg mid range, feels laboured to the redline"

Take ur pics boys.

hmm i dont justify £1.01 for a litre of 97ron bp ultimate when i can get optimax for 92.9p with far better MPG.

So ill stick with the optimax its good enough for me and better than normal fuel anyway.

Clio 197
Isn't Sainsburys 97 actually BP ultimate... (but only 2p dearer than 95)??

That's what I use anyway... the extra £££ to fill-up is made-up for by the extra miles per tank.

MY10 R35 GTR
im not saying which is or isn't better, just chowing u what the mag found! Both Esso stations down my way have shut, We now got a tesco, but it don't do High octane.

The Closest Bp 15+ miles. Shell ur pushing on 22+

Well gutted

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
I found the biggest difference between optimax and 95 ron being in the early morning when the engine is cold. So much smoother than 95, its actually quite nice to drive on a morning now!

Renaultsport Clio 182
I've only ever run mine on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded (97 RON I believe?). Is there much difference between the Sainsbury's Super Unleaded, and say Optimax? Unfortunately there is no BP or Shell garage in my town :(

106 GTi
Josh27 said:
I've only ever run mine on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded (97 RON I believe?). Is there much difference between the Sainsbury's Super Unleaded, and say Optimax? Unfortunately there is no BP or Shell garage in my town :(

BP used to supply Sainsburys Fuel, not sure if they still do.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I always try to fill up with Shell Optimax, the only time i have used other petrol was when there was a shortage of the stuff, then i used that Tesco 99 petrol pretty good, but i still prefer optimax.

J

JACKO CUP 172!

i find with 95 it tends to b easyer to stall! but does go a lot better with the rocket fuel!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
omar said:
Isn't Sainsburys 97 actually BP ultimate... (but only 2p dearer than 95)??

That's what I use anyway... the extra £££ to fill-up is made-up for by the extra miles per tank.

i use sainsburys 97 to, feels 100% same as BP-U.

X-172 Cup
so long as it's 98 Ron or above your engine will benefit

Luckily there's 2 Shell garages within a 10 mile radius of stokecitypottermouse manor

My car loves Optimax, gets all excited when I fill her up...bless...:approve:

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Martin_89 said:
filling mine up with £30 of optimax tonight as its pinking, probably use it all the time from now on, never tried it.

How do you know its pinking? Have you fitted a knocklink or similar?

Thanks

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I've pretty much put optimax or super unleaded in all the time.

Car had a full tank of optimax in it before the accident so if I don't get it back without a full tank there will be trouble!

Tesla MP3 2021
i think i mite starting putting high ron fuel in again....
not had any in for about 1500miles.
my local bp doesnt stcok ultimate tho.:(

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
I would defo recommend the 99 ron Tesco stuff, its the only stuff i use, and 92.9 @ Hatfield Tesco. my car is running super smooth on it.

did anyone read the petrol test in EVO? I thought the difference was quite small, between optimax, ultimate and the 99ron tesco super unleaded, for the gti (closest comparison to 172/182)

someone please correct me if i am wrong

Last edited:
  Octavia VRS
Martin_89 said:
filling mine up with £30 of optimax tonight as its pinking, probably use it all the time from now on, never tried it.

IIRC there is no real difference between Optimax and normal Unleaded for smaller engined cars - it seems only to make a difference for bigger engined 'performance' models.

I just use normal Shell unleaded

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just back now from putting optimax in the 1.2 its running smoother, its pulling smoother (i dont mean faster but it just doesnt feel as rough pulling away on full throttle)

TVO vbmenu_register("postmenu_1396842", true); , you can hear it pinking, or thats what the reno garage said it was, its common on driving school cars because of all the slow driving (mine is ex-driving school)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I'm back on another full tank of Optimax this week after my Sunday fill up. I used to use Saisnburys 97 or BP Ultimate which was OK, nothing startling, then I tried a tank of Optimax 2 weeks ago which amazed me. So much smoother when pootling along and so much more kick with a pronounced jump at 5k and all the while delivering more MPG.
I thought it may have been the placebo effect so I tried Sainsburys again last week then back to optimax this week. The difference is unbelieveable. Well worth the funds.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Optimax only on mine since new, got the garage to go put some in too when I paid for it :p

Nissan 350Z
I use Optimax - after all, it says in the manual and on the filler cap that its "98 recommended". I see no point in buying such a nice car as the Clio and then filling it with cheap petrol.