ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Put the sound proofing back on under the bonnet

DMS

A thirsty 172
I had the windows down in my car yesterday while chatting to a mate and realised just how horrible and tappy the engine sounds on idle and at low revs.
I decided to put the sound proofing back under the bonnet lid and it's amazing how much better it sounds.
Has anyone else done this? Or is it just my car that sounds like a bag of spanners?

Car still sounds the same when flooring it though, win win?

Black 197
Took mine off, no real need for it tbh... My induction noise hides the tapping noise anyways :)

I see

But what is the actual reason for taking it off ?? It weighs next to nothing so surely it cant done by people due to lightening the car ??

Surely it must increase engine noise slightly by removing it

Well the main reason was I bought a new bonnet as mine was dented, it never came with the sound deadening and couldnt be bothered to swap it over. Still as they say, every little helps when removing access weight!

took mine off as i think it looks better without and it was hanging off in the bottom corner anyway. no difference in noise that i noticed.

172 Ph2
I took mine off. You can hear a bit more induction noise without it even with a standard airbox (minus acoustic valve) like mine.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah you can certainly hear the induction noise more without it. But the engine also sounds a lot more rattly.
I think I'm going to take it off again to be honest. The car sounds better at full throttle without it on.

Clio 172 RS2
Took it off... as with that plastic engine cover.

The F4R is a lumpy unit anyway.

Reason? Because i can...
(disliking all the Tupperware, wanna see the engine)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mine:
3736612578_f09af21034_b.png

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
That looks freakin' awesome Boosh (Luke is it? (Guess (trying to learn real names)))

What is it you've put there? Just standard insulation board?

Yeh mate, its Luke.

It's just dyna matt sound proofing :approve:

The hoses aren't samco either, its just a cover stuff you put over the plastic pipes (but everyone already knew that ;) ).

Clio 172 RS2
Hey Boosh,

Well i'm not everyone... so i did not knew. :D
Looks good though! Sorry for not liking the Dynamat pieces.

RS RIP
^^^ dug up an old thread: My bonnet insulation has come loose a bit on top and is laying on my coil pack/leads and it looks like the leads have started to melt !!? where it touches..

Anybody know if removing the insulation will in time/eventually damage the paint job of the bonnet ? Because of the engine heat ?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
^^^ dug up an old thread: My bonnet insulation has come loose a bit on top and is laying on my coil pack/leads and it looks like the leads have started to melt !!? where it touches..

Anybody know if removing the insulation will in time/eventually damage the paint job of the bonnet ? Because of the engine heat ?

The amount of people on here who remove it, I doubt it!

Clio Trophy
i was always on the understanding that this stuff is more about pedestrian crash protection, so if you hit some one they bounce off the mat not your engine block

Mk5 Golf Gti
Does anyone know where I can buy the sound proofing? My 182 doesn't have any and I would like to purchase some! Thanks guys.