ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Q for those with crunchy 3rd gear synchro

i've noticed that the severity of the crunch when shifting into 3rd from peak rpms in 2nd has recently worsened in my gearbox

having had a little play, i've also noticed that i can drive around it by short-shifting (at, say, 50-55, instead of 60)

my question is, will the crunching make its way down the rev range as wear progresses, or is this a 'safe' way of continuing with it?

i can be as lazy as i like with the shift at 60; it'll still crunch - seems rev related, rather than shift. the gearbox has already been rebuilt recently (30k ago) and i don't really want to go through the financial trauma again if i can just drive around the problem - wondering what people think

thanks

Last edited:
  RS CLIO 197
put it this way it wont get better - its worn and will only over time get worse - as for how long to get there too many variables

may be worth changing the oil and checking for metal in it

thanks chaps. i suspect the third gear synchro wasn't actually replaced when it was rebuilt. it's had a recent gear oil change, but i might do it again for another spec oil, to see if that helps

it is what it is - i'm wondering how the problem has progressed in other's cars

BMW M135i
What oils in it atm?

As said it won't get any better, left to it own devices it'll either just get worse and worse until you'll end up double declutching, you'll loose the effected gears or if something lets go something will exit the gearbox casing with a bit of force (extreme but has happened).

i've got TRT in it at the moment, but was thinking of trying TRX, or maybe the Castrol stuff

the people who rebuilt it refilled it with ATF :)rolleyes:) and changing it for TRT helped quieten it down a fair bit (the ATF transmitted noticeable gear chatter)

the synchro thing's not tragic and has only ever occurred at peak rpms, but its severity has worsened recently. i realise it's not going to get any better - just hoping that i can retain some enjoyment/use by adapting to it, rather than throwing the best part of another grand at it in the near future

i guess it's a 'how long is this piece of string' thing, but would be interested to hear other's experiences:)

172 cup
from my memory the atf fluid should only be used on automatic transmission cars my mate had same trouble when he had his rebuilt they said use automatic transmission fluid and that just destroyed his box now hes on proper stuff and all is fine but he had to have it rebuilt though

172 Race Car
Mine was fine with the 'wrong' oil in it last year. Put the correct grade in it over the winter and it is so bad. Have to shift very slowly, not rush it Its fine in normal driving but a bit annoying on track

RS CLIO 197
from my memory the atf fluid should only be used on automatic transmission cars my mate had same trouble when he had his rebuilt they said use automatic transmission fluid and that just destroyed his box now hes on proper stuff and all is fine but he had to have it rebuilt though

not strictly true - some manual boxes do take the stuff

running fully synthetic in the 197 - does help the change ;)

PH1 172 Sport
Mine was reasonable bad when i had cheap comma oil in there. Since putting the castrol stuff in its been fine and only does it very slightly when cold shifting from 3rd to 2nd.

It doesn't seem to have got any worse since feb but i know at the back of my mind its worn. I'll probably just wait until it gets really bad and then get the box rebuilt.

thanks for the thoughts

TRT's already a GL5 spec oil and i wasn't anticipating a difference, but may just try it anyway

same as you, Caister; i think i'm just going to have to be mindful (drive around it) and wait to see if/how it worsens - certainly doesn't justify another rebuild at the moment anyway

PH1 172 Sport
thanks for the thoughts

TRT's already a GL5 spec oil and i wasn't anticipating a difference, but may just try it anyway

same as you, Caister; i think i'm just going to have to be mindful (drive around it) and wait to see if/how it worsens - certainly doesn't justify another rebuild at the moment anyway

The comma stuff I had was GL5 as well, but an oil change with the Castrol stuff has pretty much covered up the crunch for now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When mine was doing it, we tried all different oils, three types iirc and nothing helped it or made it worse.

Just my 2p but i'd not bother wasting time/ money changing the oil. If its crunching its broked. :(

Megane Trophy, Golf
Dude whats your engine mounts like, mine had worn mounts and used to stutter going into 3rd sometimes, then I changed me mounts and its been fine ever since. Just a thought ;)
Oh and I also have some Motul fully synthetic gearbox oil in and its does seem quieter.

you're probably right and i don't fancy spending £40+ on changing it just now, but it can't hurt at some later point

irony is that my 200k 205GTi box felt much nicer to use than the Renault's, even when it only had the 30k i bought it with on it

ed. wizard - thanks; the engine mounts are all fine (got the Vibratechnics/poly mounts on)