ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quaife lsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had a pretty hardcore track car, until it had a serious electrical problem, then I just ditched the thing as it was pissing me off (not to live with everyday I should add)

I had AST suspension, which was quite simply epic. I was always set on getting proper suspension, not that cheap raceland shot or similar. You don't have to get AST of course, but get something proper. KWs have a good rep on here too.

Brakes are a MUST! You don't need 4 pots, just proper pads that don't turn to cheese after a few laps. I had PF97s, very hardcore pads. So much so they ruin your alloys and paint.

There is so much you can do before you even think about an LSD, I would really look into brakes - then suspension.

Best thing to do is just ignore the daft comments, You'l get used to it eventually.

Back on topic, as previously said. Better off spending £1k on other things first, Depending on what you want from the car.

You said in a previous post, you'll only be tracking it occasionally. Could you really justify spending over 1k for something you'll rarely see the benefits of much?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Pesronally having drivens cars with and cars without an LSD if I could afford one I would get one for the Clio, I think it would make a msaaive amount of differnce on trackdays.

Anyone who says they have no benefit on a Clio even a standard power one clearly have never driven a car with a LSD properly.. (awaits flaming ;) )

I've technically driven a car with an LSD, the Burpspeed car around the paddock lol ;)

But from what they say, it does make a big difference......BUT.....I would say suspension is definitely the priority over an LSD.

Clio 182 Trophy #229
Fact of the matter is, your driving style/suspension/tyres all need addressing first. Not an LSD.

It's a constructive comment, but you'll be defensive about it I'm sure.

No no i admit driving tuition is useful, you can always learn new things and get better. I know because i did my IAM (which i passed with flying colours) and i improved a hell of a lot. I would love to do my ARDS test at some point and get my MSA National B. My only frustration is that i just wanted advice on an lsd because even if you are Lewis Hamilton and your driving skills are 2nd to none if an lsd makes a difference over a standard car it will show. My driving isnt the thing in question here.
I know suspension and tyres need doing first. My tyres are Falkens not the Michelins it should have and they are top of my list when i get some spare cash, interior, brakes and suspension will be next should i decide to modify my car, then stuff like lsd's and engine mods should i feel the need to take the mods further but it is all just a case of finding out what is available, what is good and then i can decide if i want to just enjoy my car as it is for a couple of years then move onto something like a second hand Elise or VX or spend money doing these things to my Clio.

Well I had a pretty hardcore track car, until it had a serious electrical problem, then I just ditched the thing as it was pissing me off (not to live with everyday I should add)

I had AST suspension, which was quite simply epic. I was always set on getting proper suspension, not that cheap raceland shot or similar. You don't have to get AST of course, but get something proper. KWs have a good rep on here too.

Brakes are a MUST! You don't need 4 pots, just proper pads that don't turn to cheese after a few laps. I had PF97s, very hardcore pads. So much so they ruin your alloys and paint.

There is so much you can do before you even think about an LSD, I would really look into brakes - then suspension.

That sounds brilliant, if i do suspension i will make sure i do it properly. How much are a set of AST's if you dont mind my asking? I will have to look into those pads too, i wasnt keen on getting 4 pots i have to say.
This is the sort of thing i was after, thank you.

Best thing to do is just ignore the daft comments, You'l get used to it eventually.

Back on topic, as previously said. Better off spending £1k on other things first, Depending on what you want from the car.

I'm not sure it is wearing thin, but we will see i guess.
I agree there are, tyres being at the top of my list, then more supportive seats (not that the standard items are bad).

Clio 182 Trophy #229
You said in a previous post, you'll only be tracking it occasionally. Could you really justify spending over 1k for something you'll rarely see the benefits of much?

It sort of explains that in my reply after you posted this. It is all just getting the info together. I'm still not decided on weather i am going to keep it standard and enjoy it as it is for a couple of years then get an Elise or a VX or weather to sink money into my Clio.

Pesronally having drivens cars with and cars without an LSD if I could afford one I would get one for the Clio, I think it would make a msaaive amount of differnce on trackdays.

Anyone who says they have no benefit on a Clio even a standard power one clearly have never driven a car with a LSD properly.. (awaits flaming ;) )

I think you just about missed the flaming........I could be wrong.

My ASTs came to £1700 including top mounts.

That was the final price, including a complete re-valving, different spring rates and corner weighted. So basically fully set-up to my car.

Yes it's expensive but the car handled like it was on rails, couldn't have been happier with it.

KW V2s are cheaper, but not necessarily worse by any means.

Pads are a personal thing, I had PF97s as Jay and Tony were getting rid of them as they didn't like them for racing, but they are great for trackdays. There's a thread somewhere on here about trackpads that's recent. Have a look in there.

It sort of explains that in my reply after you posted this. It is all just getting the info together. I'm still not decided on weather i am going to keep it standard and enjoy it as it is for a couple of years then get an Elise or a VX or weather to sink money into my Clio.

Well my track 182 is in the process of being ripped apart and sold (not because I didn't like it....I won't get into why here), I spend quite a bit on it. Don't regret one penny, all part of the fun really. But having recently bought a VX220, I would say save the money that you are going to spend on the Clio and get something like that. I couldn't be happier with it. The same go kart style handling, with more guts to go with it.

Think long and hard though. I'm only offering my opinion to someone who, by the sounds of it, is heading down a very similar road I went down.

I would say save the money that you are going to spend on the Clio and get something like that. I couldn't be happier with it. The same go kart style handling, with more guts to go with it.

This is sound advice irrespective of the LSD situation. I am going to try and resist spending too much on mine, simply because a year down the line I want a VX or funds permitting a Tiv :D The prices of 182 are bottoming out like the 172 before it. In all honesty, it is a fantastic car out of the box or with minor mods, and unless you intend on seriously tracking it or keeping it forever, in my own opinion I wouldn't fork out for an LSD on a Clio...

I have no direct experience with them on the 1*2's, but I do understand that they can make a world of difference in other instances. However unless you are going to fully exploit that world of difference on a regular basis I would be saving my cash...

PMSL at trying to school Tony in how to drive a Clio.

Oh and PMSL at asking for advice and then manning up when you get it. Married to MagpieV6?

182cup & 172 racecar

Oh and PMSL at asking for advice and then manning up when you get it. Married to MagpieV6?

And that I drive my car around at 60mph,and some other abuse that to be quite honest I can't even bother to re-read.
I tried to offer advise,but op has obviously missed it.

Pretty normal these days. Must be a Worldwide shortage of dummies at the moment. Some people should just get their internet cut-off or STFU.

Flol! Missed that before. Trying to keep up with Tony In the twisties is like tying to out drag a veyron.

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
Hehe this is hilarious.
Lsd yes it will improve cornering speeds, will need reasonably well sorted suspension and decent sticky tyres first though.
For track use on dry tarmac an lsd only wants setting quite loose anyway or will just cause massive understeer and you will be massively peed off.
As for driving styles try feathering the brake with your left foot whilst hard on the accelerator this keeps the diff loaded and will stop the light wheel from spinning up. Also try slightly differnt lines into the corner try and keep the weight over the fron end using brakes and engine braking giving you a nice slide and much more grin factor!
Lowering the car and stiffening up the springs with decent tyres will effectively flatten out the front end, make sure the back isnt too stiff as this will cause the front wheels to pick up giving you the issue you are having.

As for heroic driving on public roads I regularly drive at excessive speed sliding around on public roads, and its legal! Its called road rallying and I love it!

Tuition isn't necessarily something you need just more experience so get out on the tracks or the lanes and play a bit. To be honest unless you pay for proper tuition most of the tuition you will get at trackdays are from soo called race instructors who have done a course and a lot of the time have not been very successful racing drivers hence why they teach! I know I used to work with them! They charge good money to tell you what the correct line is into a corner and out of it on the particular circuit, you can generally find this out on the internet before you go anyway! And there favourite line might not be the line that suits your driving style anyway!

Spend the money on the clio they are addictive little cars and can lap the cup spec race cars are quicker than a 456 race car round twisty tracks!

Oh and for gods sake turn the esp off!! And if its got abs pull the fuse on that too no self respecting race or rally driver should ever use esp or abs its a massive hindrance!

Hope this helps!

Davemittel, I hope you are joking.

I probably learnt more about driving in one day with don palmer, some of the cadence guys and Andy Morrison (yes all at the same place at the same time!) then I have in the entire time I have been driving.

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
well I'm not well up on the exact specs of every car, But i wouldnt be havin abs or esp on any car I own and if its got it it gets removed!! I like to drive my car not be driven by it! lol!

This is gonna start another 57 posts or so about the specs of each vehicle now look what I gone and done! :rasp:

Yeah that's fair enough mate, the point is that removing the ABS fuse on a 182 and then driving it with enthusiasm is gonna result in you meeting your maker long before the front inside wheel spins up.

Clio 182 Trophy #229

Why is he someone else who thinks bullying idiots like yourself should leave it out?

And that I drive my car around at 60mph,and some other abuse that to be quite honest I can't even bother to re-read.
I tried to offer advise,but op has obviously missed it.

If making smart arsed remarks then telling me i am a bellend is helpful advice you can keep it.

Flol! Missed that before. Trying to keep up with Tony In the twisties is like tying to out drag a veyron.

I dont care if he is Lewis bloody Hamilton it doesnt give anyone an excuse to talk to people like they are dirt. It has clearly gone to his head, your not helping the swelling.

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
Yeah that's fair enough mate, the point is that removing the ABS fuse on a 182 and then driving it with enthusiasm is gonna result in you meeting your maker long before the front inside wheel spins up.

Yes well bad advice from me then!! :eek:
No lsv etc means nasty brakes! I get it!
Not owned a 182 so wouldnt know tbh! :S

However removal of abs for a track car is definately recommended!

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
Why is he someone else who thinks bullying idiots like yourself should leave it out?

If making smart arsed remarks then telling me i am a bellend is helpful advice you can keep it.

I dont care if he is Lewis bloody Hamilton it doesnt give anyone an excuse to talk to people like they are dirt. It has clearly gone to his head, your not helping the swelling.

Ok I was being nice to this guy and giving some advice, which is what he asked for.

Instead of replying to advice hes more interested in upsetting people.

Clearly an arse!

big boost cup
They really do make a difference. although it was one of my important mods there was no need for it with standard power. so just spend your money on other handling mods first

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Tony offered advice mate. If there is anyone to listen to it's Tony!

You're just being premenstrual because you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

If you're driving fast enough to spin the wheels coming out of wet corners on the road you're driving wrong.

Why don't people listen to advice on here anymore?

Advice from 19 year old chavs or an experienced track driver... i'm gutted this place is full of oldies...

Clio 182 Trophy #229
Ok I was being nice to this guy and giving some advice, which is what he asked for.

Instead of replying to advice hes more interested in upsetting people.

Clearly an arse!

Hang on a minute i started this thread wanting some advice and the usual crowd of arse wipes found it and decided to stick they're nose in making unhelpful comments! Who's the arse?
The people that posted the confrontational content in the first place. If i had got ADVICE throughout the thread there wouldnt be a single out of place comment on here.

Clio 182 Trophy #229
Tony offered advice mate. If there is anyone to listen to it's Tony!

You're just being premenstrual because you didn't get the answer you were looking for.

If you're driving fast enough to spin the wheels coming out of wet corners on the road you're driving wrong.

Why don't people listen to advice on here anymore?

Advice from 19 year old chavs or an experienced track driver... i'm gutted this place is full of oldies...

I wasn't looking for any specific answer, i just wanted to know if it was a worthwhile addition or not. Thats deffinitely not what the problem is.

I dont have a problem with oldies, thats deffinitely what is needed, but its oldies that are painfuly superior and talk down to you, making out thet you are the one in the wrong when they are being tossers that i hate, pissing people off and then makeing sarcastic smart arse comments.

The first thing Tony said was "I read this and worry" clearly making a judgment on my driving, jumping to the conclusion that i am being irrisponsible? Helpful advice? I think not.

Clio 182 Trophy #229
The 2nd bit of "advice" from Tony with no reply to his comment what so ever was:

I'm sorry but I'm not trying to bite,but finding it hard with some of his driving heroics on the road.

I'm out.

Not at all called for.

Followed by:

I would assume this is you driving on the road,so don't be a Bellend.

None of this is advice, its just being a smart arse.

182cup & 172 racecar
Hang on a minute i started this thread wanting some advice and the usual crowd of arse wipes found it and decided to stick they're nose in making unhelpful comments! Who's the arse?
The people that posted the confrontational content in the first place. If i had got ADVICE throughout the thread there wouldnt be a single out of place comment on here.

If thats aimed at me,I think you should read post 12 again,then f**k off.

Clio 182 Trophy #229
If Tony wants to give me some proper advice from his extensive driving and tracking career than i am all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.