ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question about this car/More q's about the 1.6

Shed.
READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!!!1

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=210963

well its for sale, about £4250 i think. Im after a 1.6L clio, of about this age, was hoping for an 03, or 53 plate but this is early 2003 so ill be more than over the moon with it. 33,000 miles.

Personally i love the dam thing and right now ive seet my heart on it, and tbh when ive saved enough cash ill gladly take it form him. Spoken to him and he thinks he may still have it in about 7 months time which is when i think ill have saved enough to be able to sell ym car and put the cash towards it....blah blah blah

I cant afford more than a 1.6L, so dont start reccomending me the 172's, ill be 19 w 1yrs ncb when i buy, insurance will be £1200 for the year.

But what do you make of it ? Alloys ? Exhaust ? (imo it needs zorst taking off)

+how many miles till it needs major work doing to it (cambelt/other common occourences or problems) ???

The Q's

tax for a 1.6 (year)
Price of tyres for those 182 alloys ?

Are the lowering springs/coily's and the alloys counted as a "modification" as i have no intention of declaring to my insurance company that i have modded the car.

Clio 172 Rep (SOLD)
you can get reasonably good tyres called federal 595ss fro 140 quid delivered. and they are good.

I cant afford more than a 1.6L, so dont start reccomending me the 172's, ill be 19 w 1yrs ncb when i buy, insurance will be £1200 for the year.

+how many miles till it needs major work doing to it (cambelt/other common occourences or problems) ???

tax for a 1.6 (year)

Are the lowering springs/coily's and the alloys counted as a "modification" as i have no intention of declaring to my insurance company that i have modded the car.
Frstly I'd forget going for a hlaf way hous either get the 172 or don't don't bother with the half way car keep with what you have now etc. DOn't spend all your money not getting the 172 if thats what you want (personaly I don't see the huge point in the 1.4 and 1.6's compared to 172 second hand).

Have a read here on servicing 72k/5 years for the cambelt but any more than 60k and 4 years I'd get it done since you've no warently to fall back on.

Coil packs fail a lot on there and there no cheap plus there singular so a whole sets not cheap £35 or so each from Renault (you need 4) you can get a set fot £80 I think ebay etc.
Common Clio problems
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108607

Servicing rules/time/whats done etc (Mk 2 phase 2 none RS cars)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107876

Tax is £160 I think.

Shop round for tyres depends how good a tyre you want.

tax for a 1.6 (year)

Frstly I'd forget going for a hlaf way hous either get the 172 or don't don't bother with the half way car keep with what you have now etc. DOn't spend all your money not getting the 172 if thats what you want (personaly I don't see the huge point in the 1.4 and 1.6's compared to 172 second hand).

Have a read here on servicing 72k/5 years for the cambelt but any more than 60k and 4 years I'd get it done since you've no warently to fall back on.

Coil packs fail a lot on there and there no cheap plus there singular so a whole sets not cheap £35 or so each from Renault (you need 4) you can get a set fot £80 I think ebay etc.
Common Clio problems

Tax is £160 I think.

As usual Edde speaks sense.

Shed.

tax for a 1.6 (year)

Common Clio problems

Tax is £160 I think.

super mate.

I want the 1.6 because its a little bit of fun. I cant afford the 172 as im still at college and i intend to go to uni in about a year. the fuel consumption on the 2.0L is dia (i know its ok but i need something a lil more ecconomical) cant afford tax, etc etc, itd just rape me where as a 1.6 is more affordable, and still sorta fun.

Why not keep the 1,2 youve got ?

Because i want a lil more power and something a lil more..."sporty". Seats are nice and the car itself is nice. I intend to shove 172 skirts and bumpers on it and add a front grill, amungst other small mods.

Why a 1.6 and not a 172 ?

.....My income is ~£550 Per Month. Worked out the cost of a 172 and i could just just scrape it. but id have no life because of it. Also, dont think Mummy and Daddy would let me loose with somehting of that power. In fact we discussed it, and they wont.

the fuel consumption on the 2.0L is dia (i know its ok but i need something a lil more ecconomical) cant afford tax, etc etc, itd just rape me where as a 1.6 is more affordable, and still sorta fun.

Because i want a lil more power and something a lil more..."sporty". Seats are nice and the car itself is nice. I intend to shove 172 skirts and bumpers on it and add a front grill, amungst other small mods.

.....My income is ~£550 Per Month. Worked out the cost of a 172 and i could just just scrape it. but id have no life because of it. Also, dont think Mummy and Daddy would let me loose with somehting of that power. In fact we discussed it, and they wont.
Fuel economy on the 172 is about the same as a 1.6 or 1.2.

Don't ever scrape to buy a car stupid ideal theres more to the world if you hae a crash etc you'll be stuck for cash never extend yourself just for a car.

Shed.
the fuel consumption on the 2.0L is dia (i know its ok but i need something a lil more ecconomical) cant afford tax, etc etc, itd just rape me where as a 1.6 is more affordable, and still sorta fun.

Fuel economy on the 172 is about the same as a 1.6 or 1.2.

Don't ever scrape to buy a car stupid ideal theres more to the world if you hae a crash etc you'll be stuck for cash never extend yourself just for a car.

which is why i want a 1.6 and not the 172. can afford the 1.6 wirthout any trouble.
#

So...what do you all think of the car in question ? Timmay's 1.6. Not much damage atall (small wheel scuff and a scuff on bonnet which is rarther small). Interior seems to be mint.

RB 200 Cup!
160 quid tax edde? hmm more like 125.

theres nothing wrong with 1.6 (not a half way house at all IMO)

its a quickish car that has nowhere near the running cosst of a sport - very fun. If in doubt of this ask Al (area rep) he loved his. lol

mk4 golf gttdi180
160 quid tax edde? hmm more like 125.

theres nothing wrong with 1.6 (not a half way house at all IMO)

its a quickish car that has nowhere near the running cosst of a sport - very fun. If in doubt of this ask Al (area rep) he loved his. lol
agreed timmay .0 is obviously gona b more petrol

Shed.
well i get 280 miles to a tank with my induction kit on......

172's get what 250 ?

yeah the engines on the 1.,2 are supposed to be cheaply made or somehting/.

Shed.
get 360 to a tank and thats without long journeys

fuckin hell//

how does that happen is it a 40L tank, ie. £35 for the full tank roughly.....

About the tax. Nice should be able to afford this with no probls. even have a lil more cash to modify the thing :quiet:

Well if by the 3rd of November when im 19 youve still got the car and still wanna sell it youve got yourself a buyer ;)

306 GTI-6
Have you had insurance quotes yet? Mine varied massively, some were double the amount of the other ones.

Doh! Just reread the first post, yes you have. My bad!

Last edited:
get 360 to a tank and thats without long journeys

f**kin hell//

About the tax. Nice should be able to afford this with no probls. even have a lil more cash to modify the thing :quiet:

Well if by the 3rd of November when im 19 youve still got the car and still wanna sell it youve got yourself a buyer ;)

My 1.2 16v does 400 to a tank, there is not a lot of difference between the 1.2 16v and the 1.4 16v.

Shed.
f**kin hell//

My 1.2 16v does 400 to a tank, there is not a lot of difference between the 1.2 16v and the 1.4 16v.

Poeple were asking for like £3000 lol.

Dunno how you manage that lol. Never ever beaten 300 miles. there is a noticable difference.

Poeple were asking for like £3000 lol.

Dunno how you manage that lol. Never ever beaten 300 miles. there is a noticable difference.

Theres not much in it to be honest, 300 miles from best part of £40 worth of petrol, do you go everywhere in first?! Its a 1.2 not an Evo!

Shed.
well i let it run to the last bar and then i give it a full tank which works out at about £32 lol

Got 248 miles the the last tank. and i dont even hammer it anymore.

well i let it run to the last bar and then i give it a full tank which works out at about £32 lol

Got 248 miles the the last tank. and i dont even hammer it anymore.

Oh rite I don't fill up until the light comes on, hate going to petrol stations, very nearly run out once though, did 50 miles on the light, couldn't find a petrol station.

Shed.
im suprised how well some of the bigger engines can do as far as fuel is concerned. I can apreciate that a 1,2 is power-less allmost and its suitable for us younger drivers, but at the same time id expect it to do better on fuel.

yeah the engines on the 1.,2 are supposed to be cheaply made or somehting/.
There made to a price first engine to be built by Renault like that but its not a bad engine realy.

im suprised how well some of the bigger engines can do as far as fuel is concerned. I can apreciate that a 1,2 is power-less allmost and its suitable for us younger drivers, but at the same time id expect it to do better on fuel.
Treat it gentle and it does.

M

mini-valver

i get 40 mpg+ in my 1.6, It's mint on fuel! Thats with decat, prospeed cat back, inlet matching and simota forced IK. How anyone can get less than 40 in a 1.2 is beyond me......

Shed.
holy s**t how. I dont get it. I journey to college and back during rush hour twice a week. mebeh thatswhy.

a trip to th moveis allways puts my mileage up as its a long straight drive.

M

mini-valver

50 mpg at 70-80 on the motorway for me! If you know how to drive econimically its easy. Some people presume 5th gear 1.2rpm around town is economical because your revving less but it's not if you're labouring the engine. You'd use less fuel in 3rd at 2.2k

M

mini-valver

Don't encourage me, I've calmed down since knocking the shells out of my Corsa engine 30 miles after putting it in!