ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

question for captain slarty

right..

definitely a technical question but not strictly clio related. however, still french query and i have a clio so hopefully that will do ;)

girlfriends car.... Peugeot 106gti

"seemed" to have got damp on sunday as got about 12 miles into 44 miles journey and started misfiring.... we had all the fun of the AA coming out and being fecking useless.....

it to me looked like it was running like one of those things they use to hammer tarmac flat... thats how rough it was running.....

AA couldnt fix it and suggested a distributor problem...

got the car taken to a bloke i can trust with cars..

he changed the plugs and cleaned / dried all that could be dried and pointed out a cracked cover in the distributor / plugs area (possible damp entry point).... and also pointed out a metallic rattling noise on startup...

he said maybe the CAT / something in / on the exhaust... anyway... car was running ok this evening so the other half headed across to the garage we bought it from as they are doing any work that needs doing under warranty...

she got about 15 miles and the rattling suddenly got louder and this coincided with the misfiring / labouring of the engine to the point she had to leave it on the site but not in a parking space (in true "there you go, you sort it style" she left it a roadway that leads to the actual workshop)

now until sunday evening, its been fine... never not startedn first turn, never run rough....

now the question is.. could this be something to do with the cat ??? like its knackered and is obstructing the exhaust flow ??? could a sensor be knackered ??? i dont know about these things so am open to suggestions......

id like to be armed with some possible suggestions for tomorrow so i dont get fed any bull over this..

cheers in advance

it could be the cat / sensor... hard to call really.

It could be ignition related (faulty coil pack or similar) causing misfiring and the misifre is causing the rattling due to shaking and possibly pre / post ignition.

They need to look at the ignition waveforms in the analyser whilst the problems occur.

sorry I cant be more specific.

Could even be fuel related with same result as above - uneven running causing rattling and vibration ?

Joe.

thanks Joe....

I would guess it is some combination of the above really....

Its off to Peugeot apparently today so no doubt they wont be able to find anything wrong with it ;)

pain in the arse though.....

vr6 man-

i used to own a 306 s16, which are notorious for ignition coils burning out. the time lapse thing was exactly the same when these burnt out to what you describe. i found peugeot sometimes useless (replaced a lambda sensor after i told them to check the coils first), needless to say i was furious when i drove for ten minutes to find the same symptom occuring, upon which they took it back in and said its your ignition coil sir, not the sensor!

a similar sympton occured when something called a vasc unit? went caput, and also the lambda sensor. If its the lambda sensor, these can be purchased from halfords and probably euro car parts (as can the coils) for about half price or less.

good luck mate and let us know what it was, and sorry about ranting about peugeot.

chris