ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

question... front cross member fmic prob

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

right ok,

on the front of the clio if u were to take the standard bumper off in the centre of the bumper behind the number plate there is a nut that holds it on if u take that off u see the huge black cross member across the front of the car, now it looks like a c shape, i have a front mount intercooler and the bottom of the cross member is in the way, i want to know if i cut a bit out of this is my car gonna fall apart, ???

a simple front on drawing atm it looks like this

--------------------

--------------------

now basically i want to cut a bit out like this

--------------------

---- ----

so i can fit the top of my intercooler in that space...

now i was gonna cut it and fit the intercooler and weld a bit of metal over the top of it so it would look like this...

--------------------
----------
----/ \----

if u get what i mean... now would this be ok our is my car likely to fall apart????

the bottom part is like 4" deep and i was gonna cut like 2" back....

so help me please:D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

wow a mod being um unhelpfull.... that doesnt happen often :p

its a genuine question !

I really really wanted to help but as I started typing I suddenly realised I really didnt know...... so I thought Id put that instead LoL

no dude, u cant risk it

dont listen to any1 that tells u otherwise, im thinking a head on collision

cant u just bolt it up to it?

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 27 April 2004

I really really wanted to help but as I started typing I suddenly realised I really didnt know...... so I thought Id put that instead LoL
class

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

:( spose i will have to, just it sticks out infront of the bumper then :( and this is with my k tec kombat bumper :( and i have that shifted as far forward as possible, so it fits right, and doesnt look odd... other option is to stick it under the cross member, but then about 1/4 of it is covered by the bumper... :(

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if you cut it then it would need strengthing as the cross member is part of the vehicles main strengthing structure. if you can get away without cutting it then that would be best.

Yep also it might be wise to strengthen it before you make the cut, so as the shell wont sag, R u sure its worth it, try position intercooler someplace else, do a cut out in bumper and then put grill over that

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

lol this is a HUGE front mount intercooler in the middle of the car is pretty much the only place it can go m8...

going to have it looked at this week, dont really wann be cutting so will see what happens...