ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question regarding cambelt change

Clio 182 Cup 2.0
I'm carrying out the cambelt and auxillary belt change on my Clio 182. I've gotten to the stage that I've locked off both camshafts with the genuine Renault locking off tool and flywheel with pin. The next step is to remove and replace the dephaser pulley. I've got the tool which is used to lock off both the exhaust and dephaser cams but the guide I'm following on here states that the exhaust pulley has to be slackened off before the dephaser pulley can be removed and replaced. I dont understand why the exhaust pulley has to be slackened? Any help would be great, cheers!

Evo
All three pulleys ( inlet, exhaust and crank ) need to 'float' on their shafts, as in spin freely in place without disturbing the shafts. This is achieved by slackening off the bolts/nut to release the clamp on the pulleys.

Once all three can freely spin on their shafts you then set the tensioner and spin the cambelt on the pulleys a few times with the crank and camshafts still locked off. This ensures the tension is equal between each toothed pulley, otherwise tightening up the tensioner would only act upon the belt between the crank and exhaust pulley leaving the other side loose.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
In reality you only NEED the camshafts to be free as the belt tension will still equalise with the crank sprocket seized so don't panic if you cannot free it off. Hitting it will damage it and that would be a massive ballbag. The later F4R's found in the Megane II/III RS and Clio III RS all have keyed cranks which cannot be 'free-spun' yet the process for these is the same.

Mick