ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

quick 197 question

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to look at a 56 plate 197 on the weekend. Its an early one with silver wheels so i guess its a fatty one.
I know there is a 197 cup but was there a cup suspension option that early on and do all 197 come with the brembos?

I expect this is search-able but try filtering 197 cup packs in search! :eek:

Ta

Meg 250/E36 Touring
The R27 introduced the cup Chassis Iain.

The earliest non R27 cars with cup suspension were delivered in the UK around Dec 07

R

Clio 1970000000
Early ones had the crap gear ratios too. ;)

They are not crap :mad: If anything they are better than the later cars unless you love driving on motorways (when they are a bit sh1te). Car only drops about 1k rpm on the gear change so you are always in the zone. Later cars had a slightly revised 5th and 6th gear (about 200 rpm lower from what I hear).

I have a 56 Nimbus with 41k on the clock now and it's the dog's dangly bits :D

albi 197
They are not crap :mad: If anything they are better than the later cars unless you love driving on motorways (when they are a bit sh1te). Car only drops about 1k rpm on the gear change so you are always in the zone. Later cars had a slightly revised 5th and 6th gear (about 200 rpm lower from what I hear).

I have a 56 Nimbus with 41k on the clock now and it's the dog's dangly bits :D

I agree the ratios aren't crap, excellent for non motorway roads when you want to have a bit of fun. Going through the gearbox is part of what makes this car such fun to drive imo. Significantly better than when I had my 172 with the longest throw in the world.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
The gearing did worry me a little (the gearing on my old swift sport was rubbish, it drove me nuts).
What sort of rpm is it pulling at 70/80 mph in 6th?
It will mostly be used on A roads with a little dc thrown in.

albi 197
Roughly 4000 I think. I've never found mine too bad on the motorway and I'm running a yozza with a decat, but then I'm not overly fussy about noise and comfort etc.

Clio 1970000000
They are 18.5mph per 1000 rpm in 6th so closer to 4.5k

Yes I have reached for 7th a few times but I bought this car as its such fun to drive. It's not the best motorway mile muncher.

182 Cup Racing Blue
Buy a 172 or 182.....or save up for a 200......the 197 was a mistake and that is the truth.

182 Cup Racing Blue
Well I wouldn't buy one for the very fact that Ren released the 200 so soon after the 197. 197's second value will plummet as soon as the 200 becomes a little older. The 200 is what the 197 should of been....Ren know that! they know the competition was too great to just keep making the 197...they had to improve and act quickly....so the 200 was released.

Clio 1970000000
The 197 is a great car and better than the 1*2 but don't take my word for it, go and watch all the 5th Gear, Top Gear and other reviews on Youtube. It is also a better drivers car than just about any other hot hatch for the money. If you don't get a R27 you can pick up a good 197 for around £9k which is a lot cheaper than the 200. The 200 is a great car but not worth another £5k of my money over a 197 IMO.

Adam you're just jealous :rasp: