ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick component question

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
A mate has some front comps but never got round to fitting the tweeters, just the in-door mids. He must've had them in for a good year now.

I said that it could damage the mid speaker and decrease sound quality, he says not. Who's right?

P.S. It sounds ok, if a little 'distant', if you get me.

Polo + Micra
did they come with a x-over? is it fitted?

but it is still unlikly he could damage it with a little bit of high freqencies

J

jamesy

its unlikely his damaging the mid driver unless his allowing it to reproduce frequencies of which do not conform to its response range however the imaging and overall sound quality will suffer but not from that particular driver do they have a seperate passive crossover?

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
No x-over fitted. Just the mids straight into the doors and connected up.

I thought maybe the cone wouldn't have been designed to reproduce high frequencies and might cause some loss of performance or even damage.

J

jamesy

if you force a speaker to reproduce frequencies its not suppose to you will cause damage by distorsion more speakers are destroyed by this than what are thermally from being overpowered;)

MK1 Clio 16v
Haha that's funny - i found myself in the same mess. I bought some JBL components for £100 last summer but never got round to fitting them properly. I got the mid driver in my door as that was easy to fit and connected that up to the x-over in the boot, which was then connected to my amp. I could never find anywhere to place the tweeters in my MK1 valver, so i just left them out. They sounded rubbish on their own so eventually i took them out when my clutch died.

Now my car is back on the road and yesterday i finally pulled my finger out and installed them properly. I placed the tweeters on the grey plastic triangle cover on the inside of the door opposite the mirror and they sound great! :)

Went out for a test drive then my valver overheated, engine started steaming and it spat out all of its coolant. DOH!