ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick & Easy Tyre Questions!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Just gone out to find one of my tyres has a flat. They are all on the wear bar and iv been skimping on getting them changed for some time now. Since this has happened i may as well replace them all.

Cost of 4 new PE2's = 460 fitted :(

I was going to get some hankook RS2's but they are out of stock on camskill and i need them tomorrow ideally - Whats the likely hood of my local Tyre place being able to get hold of them?

If i only decided to change two tyres and get 195/45/16 instead of the 205's would it be bad to have to tyres wider than the others? eg the 195's on the front and 205 on the back?

Lastly, since i may not be able to get RS2's and cant afford PE2's whats the next best thing price wise? Eagle F1's seem to be a decent price (around 70 each).
Any input?

Thanks, Luke.

M

mini-valver

Try and find some RS2's. Eagle f1's wear really wuickly and are rubbish when its greasy!

182 Cup
I was going to get some hankook RS2's but they are out of stock on camskill and i need them tomorrow ideally - Whats the likely hood of my local Tyre place being able to get hold of them?

Still out of stock!!!???? Bloody hell! Did they say when they're due in?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
If you're going to get different size tyres, get the wider on the back so you have more grip there.

I've got Eagle F1s 195/45/16 all round and they are good but I can't help feeling PE2s will be better from what I've read on here. I've never driven on them so can't really compare but I think I'll be getting PE2 205/45 next as I can get them cheaper through work. My front Eagles have done about 5000 miles of solid abuse and have about 3ish mm left, little enough that I can noticeably get understeer on wet roads.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Try and find some RS2's. Eagle f1's wear really wuickly and are rubbish when its greasy!

FFS... I dont know where to get hold of them apart from off camskill! Il avoid the Eagle's then, cheers dave.

Still out of stock!!!???? Bloody hell! Did they say when they're due in?
Yup. I have emailed them friday night but obviously with it been the weekend they wont have been in to reply. Fingers crossed they can get them in ASAP. Think il roll on the spare and just wait for them to get some in stock?

@ Vish. I have driven on a fair few tyres and can say the PE2 is awesome for an everyday tyre. Even with no grip left they still glue to the road...

another question

there is loads of tread left on the edge (inner and outer) of my tyres but they are on the wear bar in the middle. WTF? do i need to change them still as they have quiet a bit left on the edges?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
@ Vish. I have driven on a fair few tyres and can say the PE2 is awesome for an everyday tyre. Even with no grip left they still glue to the road...

another question

there is loads of tread left on the edge (inner and outer) of my tyres but they are on the wear bar in the middle. WTF? do i need to change them still as they have quiet a bit left on the edges?

Have they been over-inflated throughout use? Normally that would cause wear in the middle as they balloon out. Personally I'd still change as tyres are the only thing in contact with the road.

Good news on the PE2, I'll defo get those then.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yeh i think i will change them. And no they have alwayss been inflated to what they are supposed to be to my knowledge!

So since RS2's are out of the question, and eagle F1's are shite what else can i ask for :(

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Not sure as to why they've worn in the middle quicker then.

Heard mixed reviews about Toyo T1R. Heard some good stuff about a particular Conti but can't remember which one.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Proxes are a good budget tyre but do wear quickly.
Think its going to have to be these... FFS

Not sure as to why they've worn in the middle quicker then.

Heard mixed reviews about Toyo T1R. Heard some good stuff about a particular Conti but can't remember which one.
Probably contisport 2 but heard mixed things on those

B

Bucko

I fcuking love my Conti Sport Contacts, about £70 each, they the best all round tyre i've ever had, and factory fitted on the 172.

I'm due for 2 new front tyres very soon and i'm a bit skint so may consider the Toyo Proxes T1R with the V tread pattern, about £50 iirc

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Think its going to have to be these... FFS

Probably contisport 2 but heard mixed things on those

That's the ones. I think all tyres have mixed revies, just seems the PE2s reviews are more towards them being good. Wished I'd spent the extra £80 getting them now.

Storm Grey 200
I like eagle f1's. I have t1r's atm and imo they are shonky as feck. Just dont really get on with them.

You could try spec 2's? Hear very good and very bad things tbh

Evo 6, E92 320d
Suck in the wet though, they owe me my last car:(

I went with t1-r on the front as they only cost £30 each, and at that price they are very good.

B

Bucko

PE2 and the Spec 2 only come in the 205 iirc, which is annoying as i want to stick to 195 as the rears have LOADS of life left in them and i don't want mixed tyres.

Is the price really that different between the 205 and 195 tyres?

B

Bucko

T1-r are £45-50 delivered on Camskill and Blackcircles at the mo, they have been much cheaper in the past

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
The tyre place i use are pretty good with prices - whatever they are on camskill there only a bit more fitted. Im expecting to pay about £60 fitted for Proxies. They will have to do while next time i need some :(

BMW M135i
I swear by F1's the set of asymmetrics i've got on the meggy have lasted 10k and only the fronts are getting close to the wear marker.

Burning through them in less than 6k on a 1.2 is impressive! I've never found the wear excessive despite what people say.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I opted for proxies in the end. came to 60 each fitted. They are 45 from camskill but fitting round our end is 15 anyway so came to the exact same price. NVM. :( waiting for these to bed in now :D

M

mini-valver

Got T1R's on mine at the minute, they're pretty s**t lad, lol. The fronts will be FUCKED after thursday anyway and Ive got some Dunlop Pilot sports at work to stick on.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I will see. they will do for now i suppose. Soon as these are wrecked and i get a bit more money i think il be investing in some 15" 2118's

M

mini-valver

I can get decent prices on tyres too so gimme a shout when you need some!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You're gay, in a proper non-funny internet way.

Key word being think. If the handcook rs'2s become more readily available il be sticking for a bit. The guy who did my tyres had a DC2 type R. Got speaking to him about them... He knocked some money off the tyres for me :eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've just ordering hankook v12's. In recent tyre tests in Germany, they came 4 th overall. Proxes came dead last. £51 a corner in 205!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
  182 Cup
Fair point, well made. As a side note, it was nice getting the RS2's at around £65 a corner, but I wouldn't have a problem with paying the current mytyres price to be honest and still be happy that I was getting good value.

182 Cup
This is the guy that put up the review you posted:eek:
I am not the kind of driver to deliver a proper judgement on how sporty a tire is (at least not with a Lexus LS dinosaur). If I say the V12evo is not responsive, it might as well be the car.

Yeah, I just read that. Not a good person to make the review. I'll be looking for yours though!