ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres with stiff walls for 15" - Recommations?

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I know tyres get done to death, but, I'm having issues with my new 15" 2118s that came with Rainsport 5's as the tyre wall on them is way too soft and causing me handling problems.

Without going down trackday tyre route (888, NS2R, AD08's etc) what is there out there that has good grip and stiff tyre wall?

I was thinking pilot sport 3 but have been advised these may not be much better than my current RS5's in regard to wall stiffness?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it’s a road car, Michelin PS3’s will be all you need. And more.

if it’s a track car, you’ll want either AR1’s or MRF’s . I currently use MRF’s and I’m mega mega impressed with them. Done 5 full days on my current set and with lots of careful switching around they’ve lasted really well. I actually think I can get another morning out of them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
And… there’s a guy on eBay that sells a set of 4 PS3’s, hardly used, for £80-100.
bargain!

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was going to go with the PS3s, but someone mentioned (on the thread I'm having a proper winge about the RS5s on) that the PS3s may not be much better than the RS5s in terms of stifnesss.

I really don't want to fork out for another set of tyres just to find myself in the same situation 🤷

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So buy some proper tyres. AR1’s, Direzzas, MRF etc.

But unless you get good heat in to them, they’ll be pretty crap on the road.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So buy some proper tyres. AR1’s, Direzzas, MRF etc.

But unless you get good heat in to them, they’ll be pretty crap on the road.

I may do one or two track days a year and as you say, they'd be wasted as road tyres.

I'm starting to feel I may have made a poor choice in alloy size

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I may do one or two track days a year and as you say, they'd be wasted as road tyres.

I'm starting to feel I may have made a poor choice in alloy size
This is the guy I mentioned.

57C3B65E-7717-4986-B82B-2B2413A4C3AD.png

AD08RS and NS-2R have much stiffer sidewalls than PS3 or Rainsports without being as extreme as a full-fledged track tyre like the AR-1. I run AD08RS in 195/50/15 and although my Clio is a weekend fun car only I'd have no problem running year-round.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
What specific handling issues are you having and are you sure it's the tyres?

I've never really felt the ps3 don't offer enough sidewall for just spirited road driving, but you'll never find a road tyre that offers semi slick level of sidewall rigitiy. Road tyres will always be more compliant for ride comfort

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What specific handling issues are you having and are you sure it's the tyres?

I've never really felt the ps3 don't offer enough sidewall for just spirited road driving, but you'll never find a road tyre that offers semi slick level of sidewall rigitiy. Road tyres will always be more compliant for ride comfort

100% the tyres.

Suspension is cup shocks with eibach springs and all checked ok, and handling issues have only arrisen since fitting these wheel and tyre combo.

You can literally feel the tyres flexing if you go into a corner with anything bordering spirited driving. So the front end kinda tucks in and pogos, the back end just wobble lurches round corners like a dog with broken back legs.

High speed stability is also not ideal, as the car now has a very twitchy feel. Also tramlines like an absolute t**t.

Tyre pressures are all correct.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ps3's are quite soft sidewall but does not usually cause a big issue handling wise.

Ad08r old compound used to be a nice compromise of stiffer sidewall and good grip but i believe the new ones are not as good.

Ive had similar issues on my old Kangoo and my current dci when the bumpstop fell apart. The stock cup shocks ride the bumpstops on hard cornering when lowered so make sure its not fallen to pieces. Something to check as easy missed. Also if shocks are getting on check they are working right.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
PS3 is a great tyre IMO and will cope pretty well with track work for a road tyre. If they don’t work out for you, don’t discount the NS2R as a road tyre. They’re a bit noisy but were never really about being the ultimate high performance track tyre, more about consistency. I drove a set on the road for thousands of miles in all conditions, no problem.