ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick & Easy Tyre Questions!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fair point, well made. As a side note, it was nice getting the RS2's at around £65 a corner, but I wouldn't have a problem with paying the current mytyres price to be honest and still be happy that I was getting good value.
I want them, but I couldn't bear to pay 30% more than I could get them for! The indian-cheapskate-gene kicking in!

182 Cup
Lol! If you can hold off and wait for the tyres there's obviously no decision to make when it comes to how much you pay, but if I was stuck and needed to replace asap I'd pay the extra.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
I need two new tyres soon and plan to get 195/45/16 instead of the 205's as per lukes original post.

Would it be bad to have to tyres wider than the others?
eg the 195's on the front and 205 on the back?

Currently running Eagle F1's but looking at Vredstein sportrac 3 .
Any input / advice ?

Thanks.
:D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I ran proxies on the back and pe2's on the front for two days (they had to order another two tyres in & they were a good price so i waited)... Anyway... The handling was iffy to say the least. It may have been psycological but i didn't like it eitherway lol

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I dont think it would be a massive issue if it was just for a bit mate. It is only 10mm after all? Maybe someone else will know... Im however a bit OCD and have to have all tyres the same make etc so it may have just been me :eek:

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Yeah I know what you mean, nothing wrong with a bit of OCD ;)
I changed all four last time round but the rears are still in good condition so really only will be needing fronts in a month or so.

Thought it might save a few pennies as long as it was safe to do so handling wise having slightly wider on the rear?

alien green rs133
Well i didn't like how the car felt with a mix of tyres on it :S. Sorry for giving my opinion on something, il just STFU in future.

new tyres take a bit to bed in maybe???

i admit i prefer all tyres to be the same and that but some cars come standard with different sizes, clio v6 and the new bmw m3 as examples, so there cant be much wrong with it ;)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Ah might have been the new tyres then! Like i said above it was probably psycological. Didn't think about the tyre issues.:)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
new tyres take a bit to bed in maybe???

i admit i prefer all tyres to be the same and that but some cars come standard with different sizes, clio v6 and the new bmw m3 as examples, so there cant be much wrong with it ;)
One slight difference. They are poweful rear wheel drive cars. All you'll acheive by having wider tyres on the back is understeer. There's actually an article on why they don't have wider tyres on the front in the back of evo this month/

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Would a step down from 205 to 195 cause this then Warren ?

I'm just looking for confirmation if its a good or bad idea.

Should I stump up the extra money to get two replacements at the 205 size or step down to 195 & save a few squids? Dont want to regret my decision, hence asking for advice.

Thanks for everyones input so far ! :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've got 195s and my fronts need changing but will be getting 205s this time. Although, the 205s will be on the rear and 195s on the front.

I've always been under the impression to have the grippier tyre on the rear to reduce chances of oversteer.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Would a step down from 205 to 195 cause this then Warren ?

I'm just looking for confirmation if its a good or bad idea.

Should I stump up the extra money to get two replacements at the 205 size or step down to 195 & save a few squids? Dont want to regret my decision, hence asking for advice.

Thanks for everyones input so far ! :)

I've got 195 Eagle F1s all round on mine and wish I had more grip. Whether that's just the tyre grip or the size or the combination of the two, I'm unsure, so moving to 205 PE2s next.

alien green rs133
i had eagle f1's all round and now i have 205 pzero nero's on front and 195 yoki s-drives on the rear and the car is soooo stable, f1's wander like no-ones buisness :D

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I've got 195 Eagle F1s all round on mine and wish I had more grip. Whether that's just the tyre grip or the size or the combination of the two, I'm unsure, so moving to 205 PE2s next.

PE2's are awesome. You wont look back if your pocket can afford them all the time. Wish i could have afforded some :( you can just push and push into a corner and they wont let go. the proxies like a bit of lift off oversteer on tap.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
I have 205 f1 on at the moment & like them, even though walls seem softer than original PE2s.
If I did get 195 they would go on the front as Vish said.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I can't say I've been too impressed with my F1s. I was expecting a lot more, at first I thought it was the car but you can feel the lack of grip sometimes. Even worse now they're worn!

I wanted to try the R888s but as summer seems to have been and gone, I don't think I'll bother.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
PE2's are awesome. You wont look back if your pocket can afford them all the time. Wish i could have afforded some :( you can just push and push into a corner and they wont let go. the proxies like a bit of lift off oversteer on tap.

Exactly what I want to hear. Wish I'd got them in the first place :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Let me know what you think when you get them mate as my old ones haad about 6k miles on them so wern't exactly fresh - but still gripped and gripped even upto the wear bar. they didn't even feel like they needed replacing :(

alien green rs133
like i have already said, i have driven plenty of cars on pe2's and imho the pirelli pzero nero's are about on par with them, once they are bedded in, takes nearly 60 miles :rasp:

and they are a decent bit cheaper

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tyres are so personal. I can't get on with pe2's, they go off far too easily for me. Yet I really liked f1's, probably the best I've used. Pirelli's were good, but a false economy, as they lasted less (almost as bad as t1r's in that respect). On 195's you'll get less overall grip, but the car feels more playful.
You really don't need to put wider tyres on the rear, that only applies with power oversteer. The clio's a fwd hatchback, it's set-up to understeer as standard.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I need two new tyres soon and plan to get 195/45/16 instead of the 205's as per lukes original post.

Would it be bad to have to tyres wider than the others?
eg the 195's on the front and 205 on the back?

Currently running Eagle F1's but looking at Vredstein sportrac 3 .
Any input / advice ?

Thanks.
:D

I have these on my Jetta. Very good tyre. Had Conti Premium Contacts on before. Less road noise, loads of grip in the dry, and wet grip seems very good although I have never really pushed it in the rain tbh. It's a very different car from yours though. Daz (screen name Daz.) has them on his 172 (and his Williams before iirc) and he seems to really rate them. It's why I eventually chose them after some humming and hawing.

I have only had them a month so can't comment on wear.

I got mine from Camskill. £53 for the tyre, and then I found a garage to fit them for £13 per wheel. £66 for a 205/55/16 tyre is very good imo.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Only reason for putting the new tyres on the rear, is to use up my F1s currently on the rear so I can get matching four next year. The 195s are defo playful but I crave more grip. Fronts have lasted about 6-7k of continuous abuse.

I'll have a look at the Pzero neros but really want to give the PE2s a bash. Boosh, will let you know how I get on mate, can't wait to get em. Prob won't have them on all round until next year though.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
:rasp: Got nearly 16k out of my F1s so far.

I do drive like a pussy though :eek:

Thanks Sco03tt I liked the sound of the Vredsteins too, had good reviews. Always a tough decision: once fitted & crap = no turning back lol

M

mini-valver

Never ever put wider wheels/tyres or spacers on the rear that are different to the front on a FWD. It'll RUIN the handling, the chassis only works with a wider front track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Best to stay with 205 all round in your opinion then Dave ? as opposed to 195 front 205 rear.

M

mini-valver

You could do 205 front 195 rear, just never ever add track to the rear if you aren't adding to the front too.

Mis matching will make the rear more lively too!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You could do 205 front 195 rear, just never ever add track to the rear if you aren't adding to the front too.

I knew something didn't feel right when i was pushing with mine. even though i had 205 front 195 rear it still felt.. Different.

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Cheers Dave, guess il spend the extra squids & keep them all the same width then mate.
:)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Let me know what you think when you get them mate as my old ones haad about 6k miles on them so wern't exactly fresh - but still gripped and gripped even upto the wear bar. they didn't even feel like they needed replacing :(

Got the PE2s and bedded them in. Fooking awesome, so much grip, 205s though compared to my 195 eagles. Turn in is awesome. However, real bad scrubbing once lowered on coilies, think it may have been the width on same profile so bigger circumference. So stuck them on the rear and put my 195 eagles back on the front, they've done 7k but only on the rear so loads of tread left. Close but not close enough to the Michelins. Can feel them sliding slightly when I chuck it in aggresively, when driving properly and smooth at speed though, very good but do lack grip against the PE2. If 205 PE2 were a 100 grip rating, I'd say the 195 F1s are 90. Very good, but on the limit and all out grip, they lack. My front F1s gripped so well until around 6k, so don't think this is an issue with the rears now on the front. When it comes to changing, I think I'll continue with the PE2s.

Never ever put wider wheels/tyres or spacers on the rear that are different to the front on a FWD. It'll RUIN the handling, the chassis only works with a wider front track.

I knew something didn't feel right when i was pushing with mine. even though i had 205 front 195 rear it still felt.. Different.

Maybe preference this. I found 205 fronts with 195 rear made the back a bit light on fast bends, great on tight corners as grip was awesome, but I had to back off on the longer bends as it felt like the back was wanting to slide a little. It's my preference to have a solid rear on FWDs. Now the turn in on tight corners lacks a little (maybe be down to different tyres) but on country roads, long bends etc, I feel much more confident as the back is staying in check and haven't noticed understeer yet. Really glad I switched mine over, but also down to the 205s being brand new PE2s and 195s being slightly worn Eagle F1s.