ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question... 172 Mk1 Noise on idle

s2000
I had a look at a couple this weekend, what noise do they make on idle.. is sounded like a normal engine, but with a spool type (whissshin) noise.. ?

Is that right?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
no that means a pully is worn.... should sound normal....but lumpy idle....the ones that sound like a milkfloat.....they need the bottom pully changing

s2000
ben_p said:
no that means a pully is worn.... should sound normal....but lumpy idle....the ones that sound like a milkfloat.....they need the bottom pully changing
Cheers

so.. whats the cost? the danger while driving and what causes this noise (i.e what up with the pully?)

Basically i have seen a car so sell for 4600, how ever it needs the following:
2 rears tyres (soon ish)
front brake pads,
windscreen whipers
Drivers electric window not working. (moter ok, and you can hear the solonied clicking)
A few touch ups on the paint (scrape on rear bumper)
a good valet/clean.

Apart from that it drives good, no knocking.. looks good underneath and in the engine. all the panels (no plastic) are totaly straight and the car is all one colour) its a W with 55k and not had too hard a life. (This is just for the misses to drive about)

So im thinking of offering about 3.8K

Last edited:
its the bottom idler on the auxillary belt, its about £50+vat from renault, and an absolute pain in the arse to change, but mines been fine for 20,000 miles so far.

s2000
Danlp6 said:
its the bottom idler on the auxillary belt, its about £50+vat from renault, and an absolute pain in the arse to change, but mines been fine for 20,000 miles so far.
50 for the pully,, and you have been driving 20K with the noise? and/or did you fix it yourself?

Cheers..

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
think hes been driving on it like that...? just buy one that doesnt do it if u dont want to carry out the work (unless that one is cheep and mint)

s2000
ben_p said:
think hes been driving on it like that...? just buy one that doesnt do it if u dont want to carry out the work (unless that one is cheep and mint)

well its not mint, but cheap (if i get it for that price) and quite happy to spend 200-300 getting it up to a1..

just need a little more info abou these pullies please..

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
kk... basiclaly its a ldler pully which the bearing wears and whines.. its not too bad to leave it but not for long as the bearing will wear away and brake .. letting the aux belt slip off which in 80% will knock the cam belt.....(new engine time)

once the idle pully has been changed then it will be fine..... would wana fit a new aux belt when its changed as it has tio come off any way and there only £15 and it save doining it again

s2000
Pete said:
£4600 is not cheap for a ph1, especially with those problems.
im going to offer 3700/3800 .. you think that is about right?

and the cost of the change.. the Renault dealer said about 200. .hmmmm

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
should buy mine!! 4250 ono

but if u can get that one for 3.8 then yer... but thats 800 from what hes asking

s2000
ben_p said:
should buy mine!! 4250 ono

but if u can get that one for 3.8 then yer... but thats 800 from what hes asking
i know.. but the work carried out etc.. i think thats fair.

ok ben.. where are you .. link to pics and info on stuff done, cam belt etc.... can i call you pm me the number etc. where are you..?

and please don't have a big bore on it. :)

i live near Bath.

Mike@Rentech changed my idler bearing over in 10 minutes, the belt wasn't even removed.

The part was around £45 from renualt.