ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Question Re reinstalling windows 7

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
when i got my laptop is came with vista 64bit, i then got a free windows 7 upgrade from dell.

my computer really needs to be wiped and windows reinstalled but...

the windows 7 cd clearly says upgrade from vista to windows 7 64bit. it has a proper MS license code on the from etc but am i going to have to install vista first then upgrade to w7????

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Cool will give it a go later, im assuming w7 is like XP and you still need to install net framework etc...

You have to install visa first, then windows 7 upgrade in order for the key to work. You can however install windows 7 using the upgrade disc, you then have to phone windows and give them your Vista key and they will be able to give you a new key.
The customer service is pretty good, when I did mine.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ah excellent that's the sort of advice I was after, many thanks.

Will go onto the me web site and find their number cheers

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You have to install visa first, then windows 7 upgrade in order for the key to work. You can however install windows 7 using the upgrade disc, you then have to phone windows and give them your Vista key and they will be able to give you a new key.
The customer service is pretty good, when I did mine.

This unfortunately. One of the reasons why I don't like upgrades - too much pissing about come reformat time. The last time I had an Upgrade OS was the Windows 95 Upgrade from Win 3.1 - lol.

D.

This unfortunately.

Entirely and utterly incorrect :rasp:

You CAN do a clean install with an upgrade disc. Completely legal/proper. No work arounds/hacks etc. Pop the disc in and choose "advanced options" instead of "upgrade" (which is basically useless anyway as this only works with certain versions, i.e. Vista Business to 7 Ultimate). Now select "perform a clean install" and install as per any other OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

That is all regarding the OEM/system builder & tetail copy of windows 7 upgrades. Dell operating systems are usually slightly modified with a few logos and missing options.

Entirely and utterly incorrect :rasp:

You CAN do a clean install with an upgrade disc. Completely legal/proper. No work arounds/hacks etc. Pop the disc in and choose "advanced options" instead of "upgrade" (which is basically useless anyway as this only works with certain versions, i.e. Vista Business to 7 Ultimate). Now select "perform a clean install" and install as per any other OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

That is all regarding the OEM/system builder & tetail copy of windows 7 upgrades. Dell operating systems are usually slightly modified with a few logos and missing options.

Surly then everyone can just buy the upgrade version and save money?

Magic jellybean keyfinder for the code then download the ISO depending on what version of w7 it is.

(what verison? 64bit or 32bit?)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Did a reinstall last night and it went well. Just need to find out how to sort the task bar at the bottom out now. I can't seem to get it back to how I want/had it

But hey ho

No, because you're supposed to need the Windows Vista product key in order to activate Windows 7.

Not according to the guys above

Careful wording ftw. Obviously illegal when used in this context but the automated helpline that dishes out new product keys all seemed a bit too easy when I had to do it (though maybe it's just well designed - I've never used it in an illegal way)

Who knows, maybe it's a premium number & they recoup the cost of a license whilst you're typing endless digits into the automated system :rasp:

Did a reinstall last night and it went well. Just need to find out how to sort the task bar at the bottom out now. I can't seem to get it back to how I want/had it

But hey ho

Right click > properties > use small icons (tick box) + never combine (from the drop down menu) at a guess.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
anyone really good on W7?

this is how my task bar used to look, just three shortcuts nothing else.

screenprint1.jpg

now its looks like this. ive gone through google and tried youtube for a guide of some sort to get it back to how i want it but cant find one. anyone help?

it wont let me delete the ones i dont want and every time i add a shortcut to the desktop it appears in the task bar! how gay it never used to do that
Untitled-14.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
its good to have a fully working laptop again and one that doesnt run fooking slow.

if only you could keep em this fresh all the time

its good to have a fully working laptop again and one that doesnt run fooking slow.

if only you could keep em this fresh all the time

Well, if you take care of it you sort of can.

Granted, you can NEVER get rid of anything but you can be sensible. Uninstall things you never use, keep a very sharp eye on your startup programs, use a "clean up" program regularly?

(doesn't have to be one of the ones that eats your registry, just one to delete temporary files, recycle bin items that are over xx days old, remove installation files [nVidia for example makes a big "nvidia" folder on your c drive which is never used again once the installation wizard has run], maybe suck it up and do a clean install once a year - yes it takes a few hours but it'll feel like new)

RIP Dan
Just done an clean install of Win 7 myself, it can't find my wireless ethernet controller. I can plug in a cable and browse the net fine. Have tried to reinstall hardware and it can't see it, downloaded drivers etc and it still won't see the wireless controller...anyone?