ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R-E-P-L-I-C-A!!!

Hi everyone not been on in a while.

I used to own a 2004 172 replica which some of you may remember. I then sold this for a blue ST replica and that should be gone next week and i should have a hefty £4500 in my pocket. With all going well i want to join the clio family again.

My Plan

I have a bug for these bloody replicas and being young struggle to get insurance on a real 182. So here is my idea...
Buy a 2004(ish) clio 1.4. Then i want to make either a trophy replica or a 182 replica in white. Neither of which i have seen done before. What i am asking you lot is advice, hints a tips and i want to keep this thread going so i can refer back to during the project. The previous replicas i have owned have already been done so not much effort was needed but i want to make this my own attempt! :rasp:

So if anyone knows of a cheap 2004(ish) 1.4 clio let me know!
Also again if anyone can help me pick up all the parts together to get this one going then i would be very appreciative for your help!

Want to make this one better than my other clio replica which i know maybe a tall order. Firstly need to compromise a list and tick each one off as i buy!

If i have £4500 then i think just under £3000 for the car and around £1500 for the parts. Would this be a fair assumption?

Thanks guys.:approve:

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
A trophy REP would be v nice if u had the time and the pacience for it mate.

Could be a v nice car!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Pay your £10 and join on here, Plenty of Parts Forsale in the Forsale section that will be needed.

There are currently a couple of interiors, Front bumper / Wings / Grill and Skirts all forsale.

clio 182
id think so mate im sure you can ge a the bumpers skirts and spoiler for that money, 172/182 interior will be easyer to come by and much cheaper than the trophy recaros, as for the painint side of it and wheels i cant see £1500 geting you it all, personaly id get a nice set of 182 cup wheels, some lowering 60m lowering srings as your only having a 1.4 not really a need for coillys. maybe a front bumper,

after all sprayed and fitted and you have a litte more nugget, get a back bumper and some skirts, sorted fitted,

spoiler.

interior..

ph REP complete!!! id say with a £2500 budget youl have a minter of a rep but then i think for the sake of spending that money, buy a 182 and use what ever youd spend on making a rep on insurance its as broad as its long to be honest!

good luck anyway buddy

Charged Superleggera
sounds like a good plan mate but i wouldnt do a trophy rep as it will never look right imo. just like you could never get a v6 to look right. also in my experience you will struggle to get a 182 exhaust that will look decent. so i would stick with a white 172. rich cup had one and it looked amazing. also christopher done a photoshop of his rb in white and it looked very nice.

DSC00020.jpg

DSC_0009-1rswhite.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the only way id think about a replica is if it was built around a 1.5 DCi engine so you would have all the looks with the cheap running costs.

a 1.4 isnt really going to be any better on petrol than a 172 is! where a dci is a cool money saving idea! plus you can pick them up mega cheap and they are bomb proof lol

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
the only way id think about a replica is if it was built around a 1.5 DCi engine so you would have all the looks with the cheap running costs.

a 1.4 isnt really going to be any better on petrol than a 172 is! where a dci is a cool money saving idea! plus you can pick them up mega cheap and they are bomb proof lol

:O

and u have one for sale?

coinsidence??:eek::eek:

clio 182
but i still think spending over £2000 making a rep is pointless you can buy a 182 for £4500 and get insurance paymonthly for £2000 at your age!! even go 3rd party fire and theft for a year, you wont boot it then because you know if you drop a bollock your losing your car!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
:O

and u have one for sale?

coinsidence??:eek::eek:

funny enough its not for sale anymore haha forgot to take it out my name, ive transfered the insurance over to it to take the 172 back off the road for a month or 2 to pay off my holiday haha

dci...
£35 a year tax
£40 a month petrol
£70 for 2 tyres lasts a year
£50 every 6 months for me to service it
£280 a year insurance

£220 odd tax a year
£300 a month petrol
£220 for 2 tyres lasts 6 months
£130 odd service every 12k
£800 a year insurance

it adds up, makes a replica more appealing if your not interested in performance but even at that a 120bhp remaped dci wil be quick lol

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
did any lower spec clios come in trophy red?

I guess the main costs would be the shell respray - although you could start off with a white van shell!

funny enough its not for sale anymore haha forgot to take it out my name, ive transfered the insurance over to it to take the 172 back off the road for a month or 2 to pay off my holiday haha

dci...
£35 a year tax
£40 a month petrol
£70 for 2 tyres lasts a year
£50 every 6 months for me to service it
£280 a year insurance

£220 odd tax a year
£300 a month petrol
£220 for 2 tyres lasts 6 months
£130 odd service every 12k
£800 a year insurance

it adds up, makes a replica more appealing if your not interested in performance but even at that a 120bhp remaped dci wil be quick lol

I think you may end up breaking that Dci if you continue putting petrol in

Sounds like a good project but im not too sure about the white, i just dont like white cars

Insurance wise etc, its a good move.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
pmsl, thats why it wont start then ;)

Lol.

If i was going to buy a 172 tho, i would definatly get it full comp.

You dont want to be going 3rd party fire and theft because alot of parts are expensive to replace even if u bump it into something.

Just look at some of the threads because of the snow and what it has done to peoples cars!

Breaking mk2 DCI

nice plug, that would be a start but lose the rims for 182 rims
get lighter tints its OTT in black,
cup spoiler
172/182 interior
replica skirts

and its half decent
ive seen some nice dci based reps

also the 100bhp dci remapped is FAST really FAST i dare say u'd challenge a few 172s
loads of parts in the forsale section, i bought a pair of 172 front seats half leather 40 quid,
mate got a decat 20 quid
new aerial 10 quid
spoiler 20 quid

so yeah stuffs easy to come by on here

Charged Superleggera
well kind of but the differnce in the twisties between a 172 and a 1.2 with decent coilovers is less obvious then it would be for straight line speed. fred put up a video a while back to prove my point but like i said straight line a 1.2 and a dci would get tanked

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it needs to be very tight twisties for a 1.2 to keep up, ive done the full coilovered 1.2 before and it was fun and kept up with some other quick cars but now ive got a 172 and learned how to drive it properly theres no hope in hell that wee car would be keeping up!

Never above 25mpg
Id buy a PH1 172 for £2000 and spend £1500 on insurance and put the other £1k into savings. Just me though...

still havent found a car yet to get started. do people think it would be too much hard work to create a 182 exhaust for a 1.4?

Charged Superleggera
i have tried and failed mate. unless you cutthrough your wheel well then it still wont look right.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
pay attention. i said that difference would be less abvious on a twisty road compared to a straight road.

guaranteed my 172 would destoy any 1.2 coilovered or not down a backroad.

as for the replica i still dont see teh point unless your doing it around a DCi then i can see it!

dont bother trying a 182 exhaust on a non 182 shell unless your chopping the wheel well out they always look crap from what ive saw! only giving out fumes from one pipe etc, but prove me wrong!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
i made my 182 exhaust myself for £45 and gas comes out both tailpipes without going through the spare wheel well

Last edited: