ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R-E-P-L-I-C-A!!!

Still no exhaust surrounds? :rasp:

They are the second hardest thing to find (after arch liners!)

Cracking motor though that James.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
lol i know buddy, ive got one but cant put it on till i source another, its a mission. im thinking about usnig the one i have and making a mold and then mass poducing them

your car looks sweet all cleaned up in that pic on the other page

Cheers! I found some surrounds and a full set of arch liners, sent a cheque and have they arrived? HAVE THEY BALLS! f**king scamming s***s! :rasp:

clio 1.6 16v
Well actually i have a supersprint exhaust kit for the 1.6 16v clio and it fits pretty good, and smoke on both sides, surrounds, everything, and the funny thing, i did it myself on a rs fase1 bumper.:cool:

B

Bucko

I don't understand why you would make a replica of such an affordable, readily available car that is easy to buy and insure within your budget?

I've always associated replicas with rare or exotic cars

I was gonna do a rep but now had a change of plans.

Up for sale now is the following:

full RS interior (seats, door cards)
RS front bumper
RS upper grille
RS arches
RS arch liners
RS skirts
172 rear bumper uncut
2 182 exhaust surrounds (was only ever going to use 1 but got 2 by mistake)
K-tec exhaust with sports cat for 1.2 (3.5 inward rolled slash cut)
Plus alot more stuff

Need to buy membership lol!

E92 M3
I don't understand why you would make a replica of such an affordable, readily available car that is easy to buy and insure within your budget?

you try geting insured for one when ur 17 its not buying the car thats expensive

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i still think the only point in doing a rep is around a dci to save cash on fuel bills.

i insured a 172 at 17 for only twice what my mates were paying on 1.2's but i had the looks, the power, the handling, i had the real deal! it was worth it.

a dci is much better on fuel (i average just over 70mpg every day) its much better to drive, quicker than a 1.2 out the box, handles much better out the bo (id go as far as saying my dci handles closer to my 172 than a 1.2, its awesome)

To make their non-sports look nicer.

185lb/ft dCi
i still think the only point in doing a rep is around a dci to save cash on fuel bills.

i insured a 172 at 17 for only twice what my mates were paying on 1.2's but i had the looks, the power, the handling, i had the real deal! it was worth it.

a dci is much better on fuel (i average just over 70mpg every day) its much better to drive, quicker than a 1.2 out the box, handles much better out the bo (id go as far as saying my dci handles closer to my 172 than a 1.2, its awesome)

amen

W

Willy

Id do what someone else suggested, get a PH1 172 and pay for the insurance considering you have had 2 replicas already :)

If insurance is that bad then go for it. I reckon you should mod your non-sport so it looks really clean and nice. Will cost you alot to get it to look like a sport, and at the end of the day its still only going to be a 1.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio's

there are some replicas that will look better and handle better than a 172 and will be cheaper to buy and as you said half the insurance each year.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
there are some replicas that will look better and handle better than a 172 and will be cheaper to buy and as you said half the insurance each year.

for starters lets remember i had a 1.2 16v with well over £1000 of suspension mods, and it didnt handle as well as my STANDARD chassis 172 with a set of sportlines on it!

now take your replica, put 172 bottom arms with 172 anti roll bar, and either 172 suspension or some coilovers, uve already spent a fortune for something that handles like a 172, problem being you cant go quick enough to get the full use out of your new handling car!

similar age and millage your going to pay around £2,000 more at the max for the RS equivelant, personally id rather get a 172/182 thats a year or 2 older with a few more miles for the same price, so its not going to cost any more than your non RS clio to make a rep, plus it will be more reliable compaired to the 1.2 models which have a few issues that the 172 doesnt.

half the insurance, is compaired to a standard 1.2 vs a standard 2.0 (in my case/postcode) now you phone up your insurance and tell them you have sport front and rear bumpers, wings, sideskirts, wheels, fancy suspension (to make it look and handle like a 172) and probably fancy exhaust while your at it, now its not that much cheaper!

im not trying to start an argument on the subject as its been done 1000 times before all im saying is id either do it with a DCi or not at all, especially since the guys not even bought a car yet! i can kinda see the attraction if you already had the car and had spent a bit on it tidying it up but hes not even got it yet.

martin

120d M Sport
Listen to Martin he's been there and done that with a modded 1.2

Fair enough if you wanna replicate a 172 for looks, but as Martin says how much financial sense does it make? If you insure your mod's your insurance is gonna be expensive anyway

Not knockin the lads who do it, you end up with a sorted looking car but utterly pointless thinking a rep could ever (modded or not) be compared to a 172 in the performance stakes aswell! No point foolin ourselves now lol

Stagecoach Ticket
Dnt bother mate such a waste of time and money by the time u get it looking right ur 20 and ur insurance drops anyway. such a money pit just put up with the 1.2,1.4,1.6 and save intill u can afford the real deal i regret my 182 rep big time looks nice but still not the same and cost alot to get it right.

180.5 bhp 172
I was gonna do a rep but now had a change of plans.

Up for sale now is the following:

full RS interior (seats, door cards)
RS front bumper
RS upper grille
RS arches
RS arch liners
RS skirts
172 rear bumper uncut
2 182 exhaust surrounds (was only ever going to use 1 but got 2 by mistake)
K-tec exhaust with sports cat for 1.2 (3.5 inward rolled slash cut)
Plus alot more stuf
Need to buy membership lol!

Pm'd you ;)

Can everyone stop slating him for doing a rep ffs! If that's what he wants to do with the car, fair play to him I say!! Maybe he wants a car that looks like an rs, but with the added bonus of cheaper insurance/tax, and running costs!!

Good luck with the rep buddy, I'll be watching this thread for updates :)

Nick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if you would read it im not slating anyone for doing a rep, clearly stating the only point in doing one is to save on running costs, in which case get a dci or dont bother as a 1.2s not really that much cheaper to run than a 172!!

180.5 bhp 172
if you would read it im not slating anyone for doing a rep, clearly stating the only point in doing one is to save on running costs, in which case get a dci or dont bother as a 1.2s not really that much cheaper to run than a 172!!

What!?
Tax.... About 100 quid Cheaper
Insurance.... On average a few hunder quid Cheaper
Pence per mile/mpg.... Cheaper/Better

Plus, I wasnt havin a go at you mate, just generally people dissing what people want to do to their cars.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
What!?
Tax.... About 100 quid Cheaper
Insurance.... On average a few hunder quid Cheaper
Pence per mile/mpg.... Cheaper/Better

tax yep about £100 cheaper, few hundred cheaper insurance, mpg i got 38 odds in my 1.2 on average and average around 30 in my 172, can get over 40 though and its still drivable, drive a 1.2 like a granny and your going no where, very unplesent.

now lets look at a dci, tax is over £100 cheaper than a 1.2, insurance is probably much the same, worked out slightly cheaper than a 1.2 for me but not by much, mpg my dci when going easy gets 75mpg but can drive normally and get 65+mpg its also much much better to drive having the torque and handles much better, more like a 172 than a 1.2 tbh

and i realise it wasnt directly at me, i cant be doing with the guys puting a stupid coment and not justifying it, which is who i think you were getting at

Ultra Red Clio 197
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.. Martin, u've put yours across several times so I dont think whether other people agree or disagree with you or not really matters.. Though I have to disagree with you is that a 1.2 costs the same to run as a 172... that opinion of yours will take some persuading for me to believe it! lol I also have to disagree with your comment that the only point of making a rep is to save on running costs. I personally (now this is my opinion which others may agree with) dont give a hoot about running costs. Although I currently drive a 182 rep. I didnt start out wanting to make a rep.. but it has kind of just happened over the last year! For me it was about having a project to work on, sourcing parts etc.. Making it my own rather than just buying something ready made off the shelf..(i.e. a 182!) Sounds weird but an example would be a freshly cooked meal from scratch is always more satisfying that buying a ready meal! I feel more satisfied driving my car as I know I made it into what it is now. I have enjoyed the experience and at the same time become alot more knowledgeable about lots of different things car related etc. Yes it may have cost me a small fortune, but I dont regret it. Anyway, the moral of the story is that not everyone does it to save money or because they cant afford the real thing.. Voice your opinion by all means but dont keep going on about it!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
172s are practially the same cost to run as a 1.2... my 1.2 on the way to silverston averaged 51mpg. blondies 172 averaged 57 mpg.
mine burns oil like a fucker aswell.
i get 35mpg driving normal. w**k engine. 172 wil cost the same to run.
Stop spamming this guys thread.

Clio 172 Cup
There is no way in a million years a 172 costs the same to run as a 1.2, insurance, tax, servicing, fuel just for starters.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the 172 has a newer better running engine, the 1.2 engines are crap on fuel economy. i got 280 miles to a tank of petrol when driving my 1.2 hard, i get 260 to a tank in my 172, i will quite hapily take 20 miles less to a tank for 120bhp more!!!! servicing with the exeption of cambelt change is much the same, yes it needs done a bit earlier in a 172 but oil, plugs, filter etc all the same parts are changed

lets keep in mind i have owned a 1.2 16v, a dci and a 172 i know what they all cost to run and i can tell you that a 1.2 16v clio doesnt cost as little to run as you would think, a dci on the other hand does!

rosmac84, yep perfectly valid point i see where your coming from, i spent a fortune on my 1.2 and loved the fact i could steal bits here and there from higher models to make the car "my own" and every time you got into it you noticed little bits here and there that you take for granted in the 172 but on the other hand when you actually get the real thing you get that feeling when your driving about and people look at you knowing youve got the real deal, or you see a 1.2 with 172 wheels and bumpers and just smile to yourself knowing you have the real thing!

Ultra Red Clio 197
rosmac84, yep perfectly valid point i see where your coming from, i spent a fortune on my 1.2 and loved the fact i could steal bits here and there from higher models to make the car "my own" and every time you got into it you noticed little bits here and there that you take for granted in the 172 but on the other hand when you actually get the real thing you get that feeling when your driving about and people look at you knowing youve got the real deal, or you see a 1.2 with 172 wheels and bumpers and just smile to yourself knowing you have the real thing!

in my opinion who cares what other people think!.. Anyway, said my bit, and glad you see where im coming from... not going to hijack the guys thread anymore! ;)

W

Willy

Buy a 172 or Buy a DCI and mod - end of :)

Have to agree with you though Martin, the 1.2's are not as good as people think, driven hard its terrible!

E92 M3

i kill my mates DCI 80 in my 1.2

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
i kill my mates DCI 80 in my 1.2

You say "kill" yet i bet u most likely only beat him by an inch or so...

The DCI 80 has a nice torque advantage over the 1.2, and i have to say a 1.2 has never even come close to me...

I have a 2004 (54) DCI 80 myself as an everyday car, and i have even beaten 1.4s an that was BEFORE i installed a TDI-Tuningbox (which brings it up to around 105bhp). With the tuning box i beat a 1.6 mini cooper by around a foot on a straight, and the cooper is 120bhp, it all depends on the driver and correct clutch/gear techniques...

Closest i have probably had was a fiesta zetec-s which was my mates and hes a pretty nifty driver, was pretty much head to head...

Glanza V
imo i think you would be better off getting a dci, also i do rather like the idea of a rep, great look + cheap insurance. I mean fair enough you can pick up a nice 172 ph1/ph2 maybe 182 for the kinda cash your gunna spend in total (inc buying the car) but for some people 2.5k -3k insurance is just a rip and cant condone paying it! so a rep is a great choice. best off luck with it mate and hope to see the finished article in the media secection sooon haha.

mark,

Titanium 182
funny enough its not for sale anymore haha forgot to take it out my name, ive transfered the insurance over to it to take the 172 back off the road for a month or 2 to pay off my holiday haha

dci...
£35 a year tax
£40 a month petrol
£70 for 2 tyres lasts a year
£50 every 6 months for me to service it
£280 a year insurance

£220 odd tax a year
£300 a month petrol
£220 for 2 tyres lasts 6 months
£130 odd service every 12k
£800 a year insurance

it adds up, makes a replica more appealing if your not interested in performance but even at that a 120bhp remaped dci wil be quick lol

Nahhhhhh

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
my 1.2 16v is far worse on fuel than the 51 plate 172 I sometimes drive. My mate does more miles and spends less on fuel per month than me! You have to floor the f**k out of a 1.2 to go anywhere!

As said insurance and tax are more, but by the time you have spent the cash making it a rep, You could have insured and taxxed the fucker.

The other big thing with the 172 is the cambelt/service.

Breaking mk2 DCI
well lets drag this back up,

whos knows if i 1.5dci will fit in a 172/182 shell as i have a written off 1.5dci now and i want a 182 or 172 but do around 2000 miles a month and as my donor car cost me almost nothing id be keen to do it,

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
didnt read it proply, therefore i didnt know you wrote your car off lol

Last edited:
  DCi 100
Why wouldn't a 1.5dci fit in any clio shell?

I'm no expert, and the engine mounts and placement of various stuff may be need jiggling about, but a clio is a clio at the end of the day, they don't come in various sizes like condoms.

Anyone have any more pics of this rep please:
NGYnL.png