ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

r1 vs veyron

SLK 350
^ doubt that, a bike has to stop sub 200kgs, a car has to stop 2000kgs+ in the case of a veyron.

You're joking me right?

Doesn't matter how much braking power you have, you brake late on a bike, you either swing wide onto the wrong side of road, or you come off as your front end locks up.

A car will destroy a bike through bends which require braking, as you can hit the power as soon as you're through the apex.

I can keep ahead of my mates Ninja 636 down windy A/B roads by a good margin, as soon as we hit anything straight for any length of time though he's already past me.

182FF c/w Recaros
i remember reading an article (it was answers to correspondants in the daily mail)

They did a super moto gp bike vs an f1 car, rounda track x amount of laps, and the car won due to the fact it could brake later, and be on the power earlier.

And I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that practcally ever track where u put a fast bike (say Moto GP) against a Fast Car (F1), the car will come out on top practically every time.

The bikes may be missiles in a straight line but they get hammered under braking and cornering.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Bikes are cack in the bends end of.

World superbikes only lap around the same time as the porsche cup series cars

ian

impreza sti prodrive
You're joking me right?

Doesn't matter how much braking power you have, you brake late on a bike, you either swing wide onto the wrong side of road, or you come off as your front end locks up.

A car will destroy a bike through bends which require braking, as you can hit the power as soon as you're through the apex.

I can keep ahead of my mates Ninja 636 down windy A/B roads by a good margin, as soon as we hit anything straight for any length of time though he's already past me.[/quote]

your having a laugh arnt you...:lolup: :lolup:
not a chance.:nono: a bike can keep up with virtualy any car. just need a good rider. :rasp:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Evo ran a piece a while back comparing a Crescent Suzuki 1100 against a Lambo Mercialago (sp?) I think, around Silverstone.

If I recall correctly, the bike whupped the Lambo's fat ass.

Nippy white cup
True but surely the Bike is one of the better bikes around and the Lambo is as you say a fat ass.....Fq400 is quicker (if you believe that Clarkson is a better driver than a test driver lol ) and I'm sure there are many faster cars round a track than that

Chris

Yaris Hybrid
Complicated issue, lengthy explanation:

Firstly an early R1 is barely any quicker than a modern R6 so you have to look at the exact model year. E.g. My ZX6 is actually more powerful and a fair bit lighter than the early CBR1000R Fireblades. Most people with no knowledge of bikes just think every blue bike they see is an R1 and very fast...

Plenty of info on bike v cars. A lot of people make false assumptions.

Firstly my bike can carry a higher mid corner speed than my car but I would not dare on the public road because a biker has a far lower risk threshold for obvious reasons - huge consequences of making a mistake and more exposed to changes in grip levels from white lines and spillages etc.

A magazine recently tested an R6 and an Elise and found that the mid corner speed was actually the same. The bike loses out from turn-in to the apex and from the apex to the exit point. I.e. the transitions. In terms of braking the bike wasn't that much slower than the car. The bike has to brake a lot earlier because it is obviously travelling a sh*t load faster than the car at the end of the straight and this gives casual observers a false impression about the braking. The car though can brake hard to the apex and apply a lot more throttle from the apex.

Going back to transitions and braking points...when 0-100-0 tests are carried out the bikes usually own everything to 100 but then the top few fastest cars catch them under braking. It is not the braking where they pull back most of the time though but the transition point from where the bike comes off the throttle and builds up to 100% braking power. Even my 600 is floating the front wheel at 100mph so if you just slam on the front brake it will skid out from under you as the wheel isn't on the ground! So you have to roll off the throttle and gradually build braking pressure whilst the car driver just goes straight from throttle to 100% braking.

Evo did a track test where they put an M3 CSL and a Radical SR3 up against some bikes and the bikes won but you can choose tracks that suit different vehicles. You also have the Clarkson factor with his rigged tests. E.g. the one where the Porsche beats the bike around the track? Odd because if you send both vehicles around on their own in a time trial the bike will set a faster laptime... hmmm.... If you watch the Lambo v Ducati 5th Gear test you will see that everything I said is true and that in the middle of the hairpin and other turns the bike is travelling easily as fast. Obviously it can't corner as fast as 500kg trackday specials with downforce like that Jaguar JP1 I drove. My bike would own it on the straights but under cornering and braking the car is out of this world. I drove a Caterham, VX220 and Evo on the same day and don't believe for one minute that any of those three come close to that Jag for braking and cornering forces. Not even the Caterham is close.

A litre bike will have over 1000bhp per tonne versus 550bhp per tonne for a Veyron. I think the 0-100 time is similar - just over 5 seconds. The big difference is that the driver does not "drive" the Veyron. It has computer controlled four wheel drive with traction control and launch control so the driver does nothing. The bike has one wheel drive, no traction control, no launch control, no computer distributing power to the most grippy wheel, no stability control, no ABS...

A ZX10 can be had new for £6700 in the Autumn which of course means I can get one come the autumn! A Veyron may or may not take me at the lights but I can't say I have met one yet!!!!

mini cooper (RIP 172)
so really if i want to race a bike and win i can only race chavs on mopeds?

ha ha say no to chavs....

Yaris Hybrid
Here are links to the stories that I shamelessly stole from another forum! Makes a bloody interesting read if nothing else! I never say that one is better than the other as they are two completely different types of vehicles but I find the differences in how to get the best out of each type interesting when looked at in a matter of fact manner - as opposed to the cartoon clarkson nonsense you hear repeated in pubs!

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/media/fastfeud/index.php

1st Page: www.flickr.com/photos/johnnystorm1976/346535670/

2nd Page: www.flickr.com/photos/johnnystorm1976/346535939/

3rd Page:www.flickr.com/photos/johnnystorm1976/346536206/

4th page: www.flickr.com/photos/johnnystorm1976/346538345/

The graph on page 3 demonstrates the transition problems the bike has when cornering whilst showing that the mid corner speed is the same.

Meg 225 with cup packs.
  Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Awesome cars. However, I don't think that's an R1? Looks more like an R6, so I'm told... Maybe wrong though!

95' 16v
Toypop, is that the palmer motorsport sensation you are talking about? If so i have been on that day and fully agree with wht you say about the jp1 in the bends. But then i drove the formula palmer Audi and that was even better, i couldnt believe how quick you could take bends in it!

Yaris Hybrid
I wasn't that impressed with the FPA but you drive it solo with no instructor (obviously!) and the instructor is worth 10 seconds a lap when you don't know the circuit or car that well!

So I found the Jag much faster round the corners although I think the braking was the same. One thing I know for sure is that the Jag felt quicker in a straightline although I think there was something wrong with my FPA because it would kind of stutter and struggle two thirds of the way up the rev range but then suddenly break through it and accelerate better. Still didn't accelerate as well as the Jag though.

They brake and corner harder than you think possible so without an instructor or loads of practice you would never know what they can do unless you deliberately try to have a huge crash!