ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R26/R27 F1/200

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
Hi guys.

Sold my 172 cup unfortunatly earlier this year due to expanding family :)

The clio had to go for some funds for kids stuff.

Now that all sorted in early part of next year I'm looking to get something nice and quick again :)

I've thought long and hard really and I got around 7k to spend

Now I've thought of an Megane R26 as it would be a bit bigger for us but also like the idea of a 197 R27 F1 or clio 200 if can stretch to it.

Just wondering pros and cons of all the cars from fellow members tbh.

I know a fair bit about the clios from previous expierence but not so much the meganes and not sure if they have any common faults?

172 Cup
I've owned a 197 before, it was a good car but.. Wouldn't have another.

If I had 7000 to spend from those options I'd be going for an R26!

Outside of those options I'd be looking to find the best MK1 Ford Focus RS 7k can buy you !

A shiny black one.
I've not owned a 197/200 so I can't really give you a comparison, but I do own an R26 and I think it's great. They do have a few common faults but none that I think are that bad.

Main faults are,
Injectors, usually a cough from the exhaust shows that they are in need of cleaning/replacing.

Hub carrier bearings, quite common to go but can be replaced without the having to replace the whole hub.

Blocked scuttle drains that cause the car to collect water under the carpet and rubber membrane, usually needing the interior to be removed to clear the water completely.

Doors that fill with water due to blocked drain holes. A stupidly placed rubber seal that partially cover the holes doesn't help.

Door pockets that fill with water either because of the above or the fact that water can get passed the speaker and trickle down.

Window regulators fail, mainly due to water but sometimes the plug just becomes loose.

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
I've not owned a 197/200 so I can't really give you a comparison, but I do own an R26 and I think it's great. They do have a few common faults but none that I think are that bad.

Main faults are,
Injectors, usually a cough from the exhaust shows that they are in need of cleaning/replacing.

Hub carrier bearings, quite common to go but can be replaced without the having to replace the whole hub.

Blocked scuttle drains that cause the car to collect water under the carpet and rubber membrane, usually needing the interior to be removed to clear the water completely.

Doors that fill with water due to blocked drain holes. A stupidly placed rubber seal that partially cover the holes doesn't help.

Door pockets that fill with water either because of the above or the fact that water can get passed the speaker and trickle down.

Window regulators fail, mainly due to water but sometimes the plug just becomes loose.

Thanks mate. Have you got pics of the drains in scuttle you mean and where these holes are partially covered?

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
I've owned a 197 before, it was a good car but.. Wouldn't have another.

If I had 7000 to spend from those options I'd be going for an R26!

Outside of those options I'd be looking to find the best MK1 Ford Focus RS 7k can buy you !

Yea RS are nice but just don't fancy spending that sort of cash on a focus that is 10 year old

A shiny black one.
Thanks mate. Have you got pics of the drains in scuttle you mean and where these holes are partially covered?

I'll post a picture tomorrow of the drain holes under the door that are covered by the seal.
The other drain holes are located between the bonnet and bottom of the front window, these get full of crap and I think the water comes in and runs down into the foot wells. I think if you do go for an R26 it's probably a good time to buy as cambelts should now be done on most and problems like the hubs and injectors should have all been done as they seem to become a problem at a certain age/mileage.

Also Renault contribute about 80% (I think) towards the cost to fix the window regs if they're faulty. I think the car needs to be under 100k miles and less than 8 years old.

Last edited:
  A shiny black one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384097120.867594.jpg

The rubber seal runs the whole length of the door and partially covers 3 drain holes, which can cause water to collect.

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
Good luck getting any children in the back of a 197/200 with recaro sportsters :eek:

110% get an r26

I do like the sportsters. The misses will be the one struggling getting past recaros as I've got a clio 1.2 grande as hack to work and back everyday and she'll be using it lol

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm biased but the R26 is a better car than an R27 or 200.

The LSD makes it so much fun to nail through a corner.

Issues I've had are the window regs, injectors and hub bearings. These cost me £600 to fix, and haven't had any other problems in almost 3 years.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
we've recently bought an R27, im disappointed if im honest!
if we hadn't bought it, and id driven one and used one for a couple of weeks beforehand, id not have wasted £6k buying it.

with the Recaro's, its a bugger to try and get the car seat into the back with the baby in it, even tho the car has the Isofix setup.
the misses has given up with the seats, but she personally loves the car, so ive just swapped the seats over for a normal set of 197 seats for the time being, to make life easier for her.

if I were looking again, of your choices I think id be considering the megane option, or as mentioned up the page, a MK1 FRS, ive had two previously and they are great cars in comparism to the R27.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
we've recently bought an R27, im disappointed if im honest!
if we hadn't bought it, and id driven one and used one for a couple of weeks beforehand, id not have wasted £6k buying it.

with the Recaro's, its a bugger to try and get the car seat into the back with the baby in it, even tho the car has the Isofix setup.
the misses has given up with the seats, but she personally loves the car, so ive just swapped the seats over for a normal set of 197 seats for the time being, to make life easier for her.

if I were looking again, of your choices I think id be considering the megane option, or as mentioned up the page, a MK1 FRS, ive had two previously and they are great cars in comparism to the R27.

Other than the seats, what are you disappointed with?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
its not the seats that are the disappointment, as the seats themselves are almost the same as I had in the MK2 FRS.

it was bought solely to be a trackcar, to replace my Trophy track car, but it felt horrid on track and wasn't even a patch on the handling ability.
it felt heavy, lathargic, didn't inspire me in the slightest, and after 4 days at the ring with the car I returned home not even wanting to go near the car, so much so that it took me 5 weeks to even consider off loading it from the trailer.
as said tho, it seems to suit the misses, so the car is now hers.
im going to be bringing the Trophy track car back to life, far more fun (for me) had in that car.

RB 182 195bhp
its not the seats that are the disappointment, as the seats themselves are almost the same as I had in the MK2 FRS.

it was bought solely to be a trackcar, to replace my Trophy track car, but it felt horrid on track and wasn't even a patch on the handling ability.
it felt heavy, lathargic, didn't inspire me in the slightest, and after 4 days at the ring with the car I returned home not even wanting to go near the car, so much so that it took me 5 weeks to even consider off loading it from the trailer.
as said tho, it seems to suit the misses, so the car is now hers.
im going to be bringing the Trophy track car back to life, far more fun (for me) had in that car.

I was considering a 197 a few months back too, reading things like this put me off tbh. 200 odd extra kg is a big deficit to make up on a 1*2. Fun will always be lost

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Kelvs reply isnt one i here very often tbh. makes me question if theres something wrong with that car? I do hear lots of people saying theyre not as fun as the 1*2's, being a bigger more refined car. which is understandable. However, personally, id never go back to a 172/182, i feel they're outdated in the handling/braking and obviously in the cabin too. it took some time getting used to the 200 after my 172. personaly, the handling is mind blowing on Semi slick tyres. the car is more planted compared to 1*2's, and thats in standard form, without upgrading anything (if you think theres any need to). much more speed can be carried through bends and the brakes are so sharp, they give plenty of confidence and the Recaro's hold you in. the only reason i can see a 1*2 being a better buying option, is for the cost as a track car, you can buy one for £1500 with suspension upgrades, whereas the 197/200 is still a lot of money to bump on track. unless money isnt a worry. as an everyday car the 197/200 with the cup chasis can be a little stiff. so with the OP mentioning having a family, the R26 seems the better option as a comfier, more usable car, and better mpg

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
dont know why its all ended up being bunched up. i did put spaces. sorry

E92 325D
Thank you Advikaz, shame it doesnt sit pretty enough for someone to actually come and view it and talk prices rather than show interest by text and not turn up :mad: