ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 wins Trackday car of the Year.....

Golf R
Stolen from Renaultsport :

For the second year running, the Clio Renaultsport 197 has been crowned ‘Hot Hatch Car of the Year’ by Track & Race Car magazine. Judging the very best hot hatches at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground at its annual shoot-out, the magazine said the limited-edition 197 F1 Team R27 saw off, amongst others, the Honda Civic Type-R, Peugeot 207 GTi, Vauxhall Astra and Corsa VXR to claim the top accolade.

Editor, Keith Wood, said, “It’s head and shoulders above everything else here for pure track day fun.” Special correspondent, John Hayman, summed up the Clio “Without doubt it’s a non-compromised track car, and it shows and rewards for being so. That’s why it’s the unquestioned winner for me.”

The lap times for Track & Race Car magazine’s circuit at Bruntingthorpe showed just what the combination of the Clio’s engine, handling and braking performance are capable of, posting a time of 1m 25.51 seconds. This was significantly quicker than the Civic Type-R (1m 26.97sec) and the 207 GTi (1m 27.03 sec) and over 2 seconds quicker than the Astra VXR (1m 27.89 sec) and the Corsa VXR (1m 27.75 sec).

Technical Editor, Andy Dawson, said, “It has a superb engine”. This is combined with the Cup chassis setting on the limited-edition F1 Team R27 with its up-rated springs (increased by 27% at the front, 30% at the rear), stiffer dampers (10% front and rear), more flexible bump stops and a 7mm lower ride height. Summing up the changes, the magazine said, “It’s the chassis that puts the Clio into another league. It has that race and track honed feel about it, and that automatically makes you feel so at home in the driving position. The Clio was built and designed to go around a race circuit.”

The 197’s brakes, featuring 312mm cross-drilled front discs with Brembo four-pot callipers and 300mm discs to the rear, also earned significant praise. Editor, Keith Wood, said, “Every manufacturer should take note of what Renault has achieved with the braking systems on both the Mégane and, particularly, on the Clio because there’s nothing else on the market that can compete with them.”

Impressive stuff. It reads a bit like a press release though, which of course it is - but there's a bit too much spin in there for me :)

Good arrows though :approve:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
As said on RS, we all know the latest opposition models are slower than previous models :quiet:

Clio 197 R27
Of course it was this confirms what all of us with R27's already knew.
One note the cross-drilled Brembo discs are an extra and not standard.
I bet it was liquid yellow, the only colour to have:cool:

Trophy #267
lol @ corsa being quicker than the astra.

tbh i think its a pretty good case for a modern car, sure you go back in time and cars are lighter and more nimble but those days are gone due to red tape and H&S issues. Next best thing is to put a damn good chassis into a car with a 'quite good' engine which is overladen with safety features.
re Steve
I imagine your tomato is quite a monster these days with all the stuff youve been putting on it

ST
Wicked..

Awaits the haters.

'no but if i was racing a R27 on my local back road in my modded 172 it'd wipe the floor with it, blah blah blah'

106 GTi
Was the Mini not in the test ? I thought that it was the closest rival to the 197 ?

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
sorry to spam this thread.

can i ask what options where available for the R27 ?

somebody has mentioned the brembo's what else was available?

Mk4 .:R32
just goes to show renault don't focus their cars soley around power, but actually build them with a half decent chassis, suspension setup and good brakes!

ST

Brembo's are standard across the 197 range mate..

Xenons, climate, met paint (nimbus, albi, black, ID liquid yellow) were all options tho theres probably a good few that i've missed out.

The R27 has been takin off of the RS site because they've just about sold them all.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27

red Brembo brakes were standard on the R27 dont know if drilled was an option. The only other options you could get on the R27 was xenons (with corner lighting and wash), climate control (with auto lights and wipers) and electric folding mirrors

Megane Trophy
I knwo John Haymen, if he reveiwed it and said its great then he really must think its great!

hes a good race driver as well :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good comments. Certainly looks like the R27 came out on top.

I'd be mortified though if I owned an Astra VXR and it was slower around that track than a bloody 207 GTi!

D.

Mark 1 Clio V6
I can't wait to get my Cup.

It's like a R27, but lighter so faster. (insert sarcastic smiley here).

Seriously though; if the Clio is only 6 tenths of a second slower than the R26 Megane, how good is the Clio?????????

Hugely impressive how fast these cars are in the twisties.

Clio 197 F1 R27
The VXR's just look the part, handling is terrible and the Astra can't put the power down, tho i would have a brand new one anyday if a swap was on for mine lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
no but if i was racing a R27 on my local back road in my modded 182 it'd wipe the floor with it, blah blah blah

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
just imagine if the engine actually was a genuine 197bhp .. instead of the reported 186-190 people are reporting!

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
lol @ the poor VXRs, the Corsa got murdered round Cadwell park by a vanilla 197 on 5th gear as well.

just imagine if the engine actually was a genuine 197bhp .. instead of the reported 186-190 people are reporting!

Its 197 French hp which when convered to Uk hp its 189 ish,
The 172 and 182 were the same it was realty a few hp less in Uk terms.

A few hp doens't make a huge difference.

Tangoed Works
we all knew the 197 was the tits compared to the competition, and its not only cause we are RS lovers. Thats why I purchased my 182, the fact that it could handle and stop properly as well as go like the clappers.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i can't understand why if the civic and astra were there that the R26 wasn't, might it have shown up the R27;)