ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 wins Trackday car of the Year.....

ST
I have to agree Dave, if i needed the bigger car i'd have gone for the R26...

At least you'll agree on the colour of mine ;)

Still... hot hatches are so last season, try giving an award to a proper car, not some french shitbox! ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I have to agree Dave, if i needed the bigger car i'd have gone for the R26...

At least you'll agree on the colour of mine ;)
red is definitely faster, i can't believe how good renault made a flat red look!

CTR
Having just PX'd my 182 for a CTR, I'm pleasantly surprised the CTR came in pretty well! Ok, so well behind the R27, but I bought the CTR cos I liked it a lot more than the Astra VXR and Focus ST on test drives. Still thought the Astra at least would be quicker on the track though!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
As said on RS, we all know the latest opposition models are slower than previous models :quiet:

Both offerings from VX are *significant* improvements on their last 'performance' versions of those models (Astra GSi and Corsa, I suppose the 125bhp 1.8 SRi was their quick one of that...).

However, something is really not right here, it must have been an insanely twisty circuit for the Corsa AND the 207 to beat the Astra. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like Vauxhalls as well... The Astra VXR isn't a bad handling car - unfortunately most people think it is because they watch Top Gear...

Also, where were the Mini Cooper S Works, the Ibiza Cupra, the Leon Cupra, he Golf GTi edt.30, the Focus ST, the Fiesta ST185, the Megane R26 etc etc?

Dan

Mark 1 Clio V6
i can't understand why if the civic and astra were there that the R26 wasn't, might it have shown up the R27;)

Jeremy Townsend on Renaultsport claims the R26 was in this test and was the fastest round the track.
Beating the R27 into second by a whole 6 tenths of a second.

Which is probably the reason the bhp is down on the 197.
If it was pushing out full power it would probably beat Renaultsports "flagship". ;)

As said on RS, we all know the latest opposition models are slower than previous models :quiet:

Both offerings from VX are *significant* improvements on their last 'performance' versions of those models (Astra GSi and Corsa, I suppose the 125bhp 1.8 SRi was their quick one of that...).

However, something is really not right here, it must have been an insanely twisty circuit for the Corsa AND the 207 to beat the Astra. I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like Vauxhalls as well... The Astra VXR isn't a bad handling car - unfortunately most people think it is because they watch Top Gear...

Also, where were the Mini Cooper S Works, the Ibiza Cupra, the Leon Cupra, he Golf GTi edt.30, the Focus ST, the Fiesta ST185, the Megane R26 etc etc?

Dan

The cars in the test were (in lap time order):

Mitsubishi Colt Black Hawk 1m 31.52
Volvo C30 T5 1m 29.44
Astra VXR 1m 27.89
Leon Cupra 1m 27.78
Corsa VXR 1m 27.75
Golf GTi Edition 30 1m 27.50
Mazda MPS Sport Aero kit 1m 27.03
207 GTi 1m 27.03
Civic Type R 1m 26.97
197 F1 R27 1m 25.51
Megane R26 im 24.93

The top 3 were chosen as

1 - Clio
2 - CTR
3 - 207 GTi

dk

911 GTS Cab

Dan

The cars in the test were (in lap time order):

Mitsubishi Colt Black Hawk 1m 31.52
Volvo C30 T5 1m 29.44
Astra VXR 1m 27.89
Leon Cupra 1m 27.78
Corsa VXR 1m 27.75
Golf GTi Edition 30 1m 27.50
Mazda MPS Sport Aero kit 1m 27.03
207 GTi 1m 27.03
Civic Type R 1m 26.97
197 F1 R27 1m 25.51
Megane R26 im 24.93

The top 3 were chosen as

1 - Clio
2 - CTR
3 - 207 GTi
LOL, ok, call me stupid, (no doubt someone will!) but why was the R26 just totally ignored, so even though it was the fastest it didn't even make 3rd?

I'm a little confused at that one, any reason why? Infact, i'm worried that the R26 can be given the accolaide of best hot hatch by other magazines and then doesn't beat a peugeot 207 in this one even though it was much faster around a track, and lets face it, this was a track car award? Was it because 2 cars from the same manufacturer couldn't win and as the R27 is newer it was chosen?

p.s. Jeremy, well done though, both cars in the top two positions time wise, got to be happy with that against all those manufacturers, a lot of them with more power!

Last edited:
  Glacier White 200
I've just bought an F1 R27 in Nimbus with side skirts. It handles much better than the Megane F1 that I test drove. The R27 doesn't torque steer half as much, in fact the R27 doesn't torque steer at all but the Megane does loads!!

It's not always about speed, there are other factors to consider. The Clio has much better visability from inside the cabin and the seating position in the Recaro's is much nicer than the Megane.

In my experience of RenaultSport cars the R27 is the ultimate hatch for driving involvement, assurance, build quality and handling. I've owned two RenaultSport cars in the last 5 years which were a Cup and a 172 Sport.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've just bought an F1 R27 in Nimbus with side skirts. It handles much better than the Megane F1 that I test drove. The R27 doesn't torque steer half as much, in fact the R27 doesn't torque steer at all but the Megane does loads!!

It's not always about speed, there are other factors to consider. The Clio has much better visability from inside the cabin and the seating position in the Recaro's is much nicer than the Megane.

In my experience of RenaultSport cars the R27 is the ultimate hatch for driving involvement, assurance, build quality and handling. I've owned two RenaultSport cars in the last 5 years which were a Cup and a 172 Sport.
LOL, you wanna try driving a VXR before you say the megane has loads of torque steer, was it the F1 or the R26 F1 as they are different and the R26 has the diff which makes a big difference? The reason you don't feel torque steer in the clio is because it hasn't got enough power to make it happen.

Totally disagree about visibility too, i think the megane has much better visibility and the seats are also way nicer, like a lot of people i am not a fan of the cheap cardboard type seats they have in the R27 that don't seem to last very long without starting to look tatty, its not as if the megane doesn't have recaros! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=308320

I guess you can stick to your R27 and me to my R26, but which F1 car was actually a winning one.........;)

My megane doesn't really torque steer really at all that i have noticed, certainly no more than my 182 did, both cars used to find ruts and i'm sure the 197 is the same.

Last edited:
  Glacier White 200

LOL, you wanna try driving a VXR before you say the megane has loads of torque steer, was it the F1 or the R26 F1 as they are different and the R26 has the diff which makes a big difference? The reason you don't feel torque steer in the clio is because it hasn't got enough power to make it happen.

Totally disagree about visibility too, i think the megane has much better visibility and the seats are also way nicer, like a lot of people i am not a fan of the cheap cardboard type seats they have in the R27 that don't seem to last very long without starting to look tatty, its not as if the megane doesn't have recaros! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=308320

I guess you can stick to your R27 and me to my R26, but which F1 car was actually a winning one.........;)

My megane doesn't really torque steer really at all that i have noticed, certainly no more than my 182 did, both cars used to find ruts and i'm sure the 197 is the same.

I think we can forget the VXR because it's not even worth discussing! As I said above it was the F1 Megane I was talking about.

My point about seats was not down to the actually quality of the build, but that more involved seating position and visability of R27 in comparison to the R26. I've had no issues with my seats, but I do agree those leather Megane Recaros are gorgeous and better made!

I drove 1x2 series Clio's for five years on Mitch Pilot Exaltos for the most part. The reason why I upgraded to the F1 was cause I was sick of the constant bashing and bombardment of the British roads (even on the Mitchy's). The R27 just takes this all in its stride and I couldn't even compare the the old series Clio's as they are worlds apart!

The point I was trying to make was that I do really feel that for the money the R27 is the underdog that just kicks arse. The results of that trackday prove it. I see it kinda like the V6 and the 172 Cup. On the outside the R26 is the superior beast with its turbo and limited slip diff, but watchout on the track cause the smaller rock solid handling of the R27 is only a whisker behind you!! ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

I think we can forget the VXR because it's not even worth discussing! As I said above it was the F1 Megane I was talking about.

My point about seats was not down to the actually quality of the build, but that more involved seating position and visability of R27 in comparison to the R26. I've had no issues with my seats, but I do agree those leather Megane Recaros are gorgeous and better made!

I drove 1x2 series Clio's for five years on Mitch Pilot Exaltos for the most part. The reason why I upgraded to the F1 was cause I was sick of the constant bashing and bombardment of the British roads (even on the Mitchy's). The R27 just takes this all in its stride and I couldn't even compare the the old series Clio's as they are worlds apart!

The point I was trying to make was that I do really feel that for the money the R27 is the underdog that just kicks arse. The results of that trackday prove it. I see it kinda like the V6 and the 172 Cup. On the outside the R26 is the superior beast with its turbo and limited slip diff, but watchout on the track cause the smaller rock solid handling of the R27 is only a whisker behind you!! ;)
LOL, the important point being still behind me though;)

On a long sweeping track the megane will have a bigger edge, the shorter and more twisty the track, the clio certinaly does catch up.

I prefer the look of the 197, but the meganes engine just does it for me.

Glacier White 200

LOL, the important point being still behind me though;)

On a long sweeping track the megane will have a bigger edge, the shorter and more twisty the track, the clio certinaly does catch up.

I prefer the look of the 197, but the meganes engine just does it for me.

Fair play.

williams and trophy

havent driven an r27 yet. but was well impressed with the few lap stint of the r26 a spa. felt considerably quicker than the williams over the lap, yet i was passing most 197s in the willy. ;)

wouldnt mind a go in the r27, but my money would be on the r26 still. tbh