ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:R32

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So last Saturday (30th July) i went to look at an S2000. Unfortunately however, not only was it a shed (disappointing as it was a Honda main dealer), i also realised that ive been very much spoiled by the quality interiors of the Germans for too many years, & the Honda simply didnt cut the mustard. As it happens, the dealer also had a Mk5 R32 in DBP (blue) with leather etc so i had a quick look at that & thought it was very nice. On Sunday 1st i was browsing PH Classifieds (as you do) and spotted a nice looking R32, for a good price. Called the chap up & it turns out that i knew him at uni, so arranged to pop up to Stroud and a have a look, fully expecting a shed tbh ... it wasnt, & despite it desperately needing new rear pads, it had full VW SH, & pretty much all the options. I went home to have a think - i didnt need a new car, was happy with the BMW and thouhght that i was generally being a plum. Sensible head took over :eek:

On the Monday evening i had pretty much decided to stick with the BMW. On Tuesday morning however, i was still thinking about the Golf. As it happens, Russ_16v works at a VW dealer very close to the chap selling it (& randomly had also worked with him at VW), so arranged for him to give it a quick once over and do a diagnostics check, etc. Russ found nothing wrong with it & essentiaslly said that if i didnt buy it, i was a numpty. So the deal was done, & i scooted back up to Stroud on Weds evening to collect it ... :slap:

As im sure most people remember, i used to have an Edition30, which i effectly slated for 6 months, before getting rid of it for the Trophy. The Gti was soulless, with an engine that sounded like a dishwasher, understeer/wheelspin at every opportunity & brakes that faded after decent use. The interior trim was also rank - tartan, really?

So far, the R32 solves the three main gripes with the Ed30, engine noise (character), lack of grip and poor brakes. Its a totally different car, & far better for it.

Spec wise, its got pretty much everything ticked, bar Recaro's, Sunroof & Cruise - which ill be fitting sharpish. Basically if you dont get one with all the toys, they do seem a bit poverty stricken, i mean mines got 6 grands worth of options, so is essentially the same spec as my old touring, mainly: DSG with paddle shift, multi function steering wheel, highline trip computer, heated leather interior, MFD2 DVD satnav, CD changer under armrest, winter pack (heated washer jets, headlight washers) & luxury pack (electric folding door mirrors with puddle lights)

I also forgot how easy silver is to clean/make look good. Great when you're not the most avid detailer in the world ... Iron-X is my new best friend though. Bye bye brake dust!! :cool:

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05494.jpg

DSC05499.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

DSC05510.jpg

DSC05515.jpg

DSC05520.jpg

DSC05522.jpg

DSC05525.jpg

DSC05528.jpg

DSC05531.jpg

DSC05533.jpg

So yeah, pleased so far, even the mpg isnt horrific, ok so its not brilliant, but i think it'll average out at 28-30ish :clown:

Cant decide on the tints though, they are aftermarket and a little too dark i think - esp. when compared to the OEM ones.

500 pages of chat are about to ensue, but page 2 you'll start to discuss selling it, page 3 will be next car options.

Looks rice.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I bloody love that as you know Dave.

I'm going to make a tally of how many times the word's 'noise' and 'soul' are used in the thread, lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ahh, see now I like that. A lot. Silver 5 foor is very discreet.

I love them but I know and you know (we all fuking know!) that you'll hate it after 4 weeks. You'll try and keep it to prove us wrong, but you will sell it before you get to 8 weeks.

I know this.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not a fan of the LWB version or the fact it's DSG, but it looks a great spec!

I drove one recently and loved it too. Great cars.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Mint. Really like these. Fuel bill rumours put me off owning one though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great buy mate, very subtle in Silver also. Oh and those wheels look better than the other "Golf" looking wheels.

You'll still sell it eventually. I've no idea why but you'll sell it. Great all round package!

Epic box, epic Engine iirc!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
These are lovely in Reflex.

Cracking motor, Pitty it's a DSG. :rasp:

Get the flapper mod done ASAP!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I bloody love that as you know Dave.

I'm going to make a tally of how many times the word's 'noise' and 'soul' are used in the thread, lol.

lol, i could have used them a few more times in my description tbh, although at the moment, the noise is still quite discreet, which i quite like. Nothing worse than a loud exhaust on the motorway (old age kicked in yo), ie the clio with its BTB ...

Ahh, see now I like that. A lot. Silver 5 foor is very discreet.

Great buy mate, very subtle in Silver also. Oh and those wheels look better than the other "Golf" looking wheels.

Why thank you, i too like the silver, blue is gorgeous, but harder to keep clean, & there's something nice about just pootling around anonymously in a silver Golf, only getting the odd know glance from other drivers 'in the know'. Although some bellend in a Astra VXR did try it on off the lights yesterday lol. In the wet :rolleyes:

Mint. Really like these. Fuel bill rumours put me off owning one though.

Im sure the fuel bill wont be any worse than a 3.0 BMW or M3, or indeed, a 197 lol.

LOL, are you ever going to buy a house?

Yeah, we will at some point, but the type of house we want requires a substantial deposit (which we're nowhere near), & i'm currently unsure whether to buy in Basingstoke or elsewhere (one of us might be moving jobs in the next 18 months or so). We could buy somewhere now, but not sure if there is any point if we then have to move again in 2 years time.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Fuel is perfectly acceptable IMO!

It's not as bad as you'd think, circa 260 miles to a tank.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely stuff.

Not a huge fan of the wheels though.

Where does this fit in with your collection then?
Trophy - track
BMW - commute
R32 - ..buying the newspaper on a sunday?

M16a
Looks in good nick and spec list is impressive.

Just not special enough in the silver for me personally, I get the whole discreet thing though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bit of condensation in the n/s/r light?

Yeah, seals a bit naff, need to pull tyhe light apart and get the hardryer/silicone sealant out i think.

Lovely stuff.

Not a huge fan of the wheels though.

Where does this fit in with your collection then?
Trophy - track
BMW - commute
R32 - ..buying the newspaper on a sunday?

Ah see, i prefer the earlier wheels to the later ones!! Took a while to clean though :S

BMW - being collected by the new owner tonight. Didnt even advertise it lol, bar on here.
Trophy - not sure, going to decide over the next couple of months.

Turbos.
I like the subtlety of it personally, but am always a 3dr over a 5dr guy.

Going for a subtle colour myself, i'm actually surprised by how many people engage in conversation with me about the R. One guy was disappointed that mine wasn't a V6 though!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Don't get how it's got too many doors? Nothing worse than having to get out in the pissing rain to let folk in/out.

5dr looks loads better too! IMO.

M135i and the shed
Nice wafter that Dave. Silver is the intelligent choice for those without a detailing obsession. Always looks tidy.

I'd imagine you bought that with a similar mindset to me when I bought the ED35. All round package, quick and generally a quality place to rest your arse. You always need a bit of Renaultsport in the garage though imo. ;)

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I thought you bought it so you could get rid of the BMW and the Trophy? Now you are thinking of keeping the Trophy? LOL.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
What did i say about you would sell and get another car :rasp:

On another note one of my mates is getting one on Thursday so will be going out for a test in it then .

How are they like in terms of performance to the 182 handling speed etc .

Alan

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It's nice, really nice, but it's got too many doors. :(

I do however love how every time you get a new car you try to convince us it's a keeper. :eek:

I prefer the looks of the 5dr actually, think the 3dr looks a little ungainly from the side. Re: it being a keeper, i think its fair to say that each time i buy a car i think i'll settle down with it, but then another bargain comes up that i cant resist :eek: I hate the idea of depreciation, so what i do actually makes considerably more sense than keeping something long term and watching the 'investment' reduce in value!

I thought you bought it so you could get rid of the BMW and the Trophy? Now you are thinking of keeping the Trophy? LOL.

Wont be doing anything with it for a couple of months purely as im in Thailand for most of August lol.

What did i say about you would sell and get another car :rasp:

On another note one of my mates is getting one on Thursday so will be going out for a test in it then .

How are they like in terms of performance to the 182 handling speed etc .

Alan

You know me, can never resist temptation :eek:

Performance/handling i cant really comment on as i havent really driven it much yet, but i would imagine that incredibly quick progress could be made cross-country. Steering is still a bit light for my tastes, but apparently that can be toyed with somehow via Vagcom - so i need to look into that.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
there is always one and that is me...im really not a fan of the mk5 or silver or auto box :quiet: but its a r32 none the less and like others have said you will have a different car sooner rather than later and im guessing it having some sort of m badge

M135i and the shed
I hate the idea of depreciation, so what i do actually makes considerably more sense than keeping something long term and watching the 'investment' reduce in value!

Apart from the fact that you're the sole sponsor of the 'DVLA Christmas Party'. ;)