ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R5 GTT Vs Valver (Reliabilty)

133/225/CLS AMG

I would of thought that the R5GTT was less reliable coz it forces more power out of a small engine.

I would of thought over time the R5s engine would give out before a valver.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

5 will prob go wrong more but be cheaper and easier to work on.

Go turbo powered Tom, once you do youll never wanna go back to n/a!

5 turbos get a bad name only because plenty of fools neglect them turn the boost up and either cant afford to mantain them or just dont know how to. i had one for 2 1/2 years it had been well cared for before me and i did the same and it never missed a beat. its a misconception that they are all hanging unreliable sheds.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Theyre not as you describe but they arent exactly bullet proof either. They have more issues than most small turbod cars.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

If you change the oil regularly and arent unrealistic as to what boost you can run on standard components the 5 engine should be about as reliable, maybe a little more favouring the valver. The electrics on 5s arent always too good, but it is an old Renault after all. And if the 5 engine goes wrong parts are well cheap compared to the valver, you can buy a brand new engine from Renault for £650 I think. Matt16v is right tho I cant see myself going back to N/A, turbos are too much fun. Clio 16v GTT you know it makes sense ;)

Nippy white cup

Mine had over 220000 miles on it and it was fine...The only reason they are seen as unreliable i sbecause everyone just winds the boost up..

Chris

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

What kinda maintainance is needed to keep a R5 sweet? Obviously you cant just go playing with boost...

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 26 November 2004

Theyre not as you describe but they arent exactly bullet proof either. They have more issues than most small turbod cars.

well im guessing the one i have personal experience of and owned for 2 1/2 years was a one off then :confused:

i had one and three of my mates did at one point two were spot on (mine and one of my mates) and the other two were a pain. difference was the two that had issues were poorly maintained, tuned on a budget and driven hard from cold, never idled when hot and generally not treated with respect. this is why they have a bad name. too many muppets who know f**k all about cars have owned them.

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 26 November 2004

What kinda maintainance is needed to keep a R5 sweet? Obviously you cant just go playing with boost...

regular servicing, oil changed between services. use OE or uprated parts be they servicing items or otherwise rather than cheap factor stuff. idle when hot to allow the engine to cool off slowly, dont rag from cold and just generally look after it like you would any car and it will be fine if its been treated the same way by previous owners.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I personally like em. But due to the age and the amount of prev owners it must be hard to find one thats been looked after all its life.

£650 for a brand new engine? Fook thats cheap.

But and a BIG but - as pointed out in another post Renault will be entitled to stop selling parts for them soon.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

That looks a gooun though Tom, uprated head gasket is important if running higher boost. Seems like the prev owner has done all the necessary (sp) work to make it safe.

I heard the standard intercoolers are weak though????

r5s have very thin bodywork and the engine will give slightly more grief than the 16v.clio 16v better build quality, but r5 is more fun to drive and easyer to upgrade the engine power and especially torque.......

having said that if r5s are well cared for they can go on for ages, like the 220,000 miler in the previous post, i had a mk1 R5 GTT and i sold it at 192,000 miles still going strong ! only had one rebuild during 192,000 of motoring, not bad for an old turbo renault (1986).