ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raced a Leon Cupra

Now I don’t want to sound like a crazed nova boy but……..

Id just filled up with petrol and was on my way home when I noticed a Leon Cupra sitting on my tail, I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt and thought he was just driving close. We were on a dual cartridge way and he dropped a cog and pulled along side of me then accelerated, the road that we were on goes from 2 to 3 lanes so I decided to follow, it was late evening and the roads were empty so I decided to play. I dropped to fourth and caught up at 1()() I changed to fifth the Leons turbo obviously helping him with acceleration and pulled away but when we were nearing 13() things started to change the cars seemed to even out he was still accelerating but I was catching him. I was slowly reaching !35 and started to pull along side which was a bit nerve racking as the steering was getting lighter, but that’s where it stopped. NO MORE ACCELERATION!! I certainly had none but I thought the Leon cupras had more go about them. :eek:

We both pulled off at the same junction and went our separate ways, credit to the Leon driver though he did flash his lights and give a friendly wave. :)

320d M Sport

yeah similar thing happened with me, left him off a roundabout, theyve got great tuning potential though...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

You do know that if you go to buy a brand new Cupra R soon they will have 225bhp and its just the Audi TT engine dropped in there.

As standard they are quick, but mod potential is huge on that engine! ;)

S2000

I will be driving a Cupra R in about 8 weeks time! My old man is getting one for a company car - excelent!!!!

BTW, it wont be the 225BHP engine, Seat havent confirmed that yet, and have only said they will be releasing it next year in Spain.

Rich, FYI, last year I ran a 15.0!!

S2000

210BHP, 18" wheels, quicker than a S3 225BHP in-gear in every catagory!! Autocar tested it at 6.5s to 60!!! I cant wait, and in case you havent guessed its in contention for my next car along with the V6!

S2000

Im not pissed with the Mk2, I like what it does best, the only thing is they forgot to add build quality into the package, along with a decent gearbox!

BTW, the only French car I will ever buy again will have 6 cylinders about 6 inches behind my left ear!!!!

dont be silly what u think all these other maufacturers build the holy grail your looking for....its a mechanical object wear and tear etc. I have had only minor probs with the renault flier, look on Honda boards they drink oil, the gearbox went in some guys car, the mini BMW its sh*t falling apart what makes you think a CHAIR will be better? come one teady show some faith mwhahahah:devilish:

S2000

172Man,

Really mate you are talking to the wrong person when it comes to Renault build quality. Ive had two 172s, the first one I rejected, Ive kept faith for 2 years now, its time for a change thats all!

I always see a guy in his red Cupra R, looks superb. The normal Cupras look a bit pony. I havent driven one yet but im already put off by the chassis as i have no faith in the VAG group when it comes to handling. Tuning potential maybe there but it wont be able to handle the power at all, i call that nova driver mentality. As someone also said its bloody big, id rather weight for the Ibiza R, 180bhp and yellow with black wheels :)

-Rob

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I have driven a Leon Cupra and no its not a fast as an S3!! Only Autocar has given it those ludicrous stats everyone else has 0-60 in 7.2 and 0-100 in 20, 30-70 in around 6 secs. Yes they have loads of tuning potential but go and drive one and youll realise they arent all theyve cracked up to be. I was fully intent on buying one until I drove it. Most disapointing car Ive ever driven!

190 BHP Willy 2

lol @ Rob

No faith in VAG for handling. They have only produced some of the best handling cars, so not much of a track record. lol

S2000

Paul,

I am reliably informed that the VAG 1.8 T engine needs well over 10,000 miles to get the best out of it! The only mag I have seen with bad times was EVO, they openly admitted that it was a wet track, so 7.2 on a wet track aint too shabby as far as Im concerned. Also if you look at that test, its quicker than S3 in more or less every increment! EVO actually praise its handling, and rate it above the Focus RS and Alfa 147 GTA!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Far point, the one I drove had less than 1000 miles on the clock but then so did the S3 that I drove. Its not just the accelertation of the Leon that was the dissapointment when coming from 172 you appraciate the handling more and the Leon just comes accross as a big wet lettuce. Understeer, understeer and more understeer. Bland and boring but great build quality and very comfortable. Can you tell I didnt like it much?? :D

H22A7 Accord Type R

well, my dad has the Octavia RS 1.8T 180bhp, and one of those has been clocked doing 147mph.......worst things was it was a little TWOCER who got clocked doing it!!! It wasnt in my dads car thankfully tho.......But if the 180bhp Skoda version can do that, im sure the Cupa-R would be very able indeed :D

The R is not a bad car I had one on loan for while just to see what all the fuss was all about.

Its not a bad car & manages to drive just as well as my S3 in the dry.

Brembos are a real bonus, I was surpised though it rolled as much as it did .

Lots of chaps are getting them revod though 262 bhp through the front wheels - no thanks unless you like changing the fronts every 8k miles.

The problem with seats though is depreciation & build quality, i used to have the basic cupra - no end of water links & electrical niggles.

Being built in spain has not done the car much good at all, I can only hope the R will be better though I have my doubts.

In summary its a cheap S3 without the 4wd, kudos & build quality.

S2000

When its a company car depreciation doesnt mean anything, infact it can be a bonus, if you decide to buy it at the end of your time with the car! I changed my tyres on the 172 at 7K miles!:confused:

Can be a bonus but lets be honest after 2 or 3 yrs of hard driving would you want to buy your company car ??

Though I guess most folk get the opportunity to extend the warranty by another year & purchase at trade.

S2000

Depends how cheap its gonna be Jase. The BOS sell their company cars off cheap as chips. I bought a 1 year old Laguna V6 Monaco(£23K new), 30K, for 8 grand!! Absolute bargain!

Yep bargain but as we all know company cars get very hard lifes.

Oh yea its not quicker than an S3 thats just what the mags say, drive both then draw your conclusion.

EVOs like the sun full of boobs :)

S2000

When I say its quicker I mean like 0.1/0.2 on some increments, so not really quicker in the true sense of the word! Probably dead equal on the road, down to the driver as usual!

just one quick thing to say about s3 vs cupra

s3 = £24,820 top gear best price = £22,891

Cupra R =£17,000 tog gear best price =£15781

look at the price diference they arnt in the same league. Mod a cupra with chip etc and u could beat a s3 and still have loads left

i think the cupra R needs 4wheel drive as they get abroad but then it would steal sales from audi so i guess it wont happen

the s3 has 225hp the cupra 210

The R is v quick - my mate has one but it does a lot of the work for you, bit boring IMO - the build quality is pretty sh1te but it is fing quick ... with a capital Q.

It also looks ok in Red - i tried to covince him to get Black but the wait was too long - i like the red know - those horrible lights blend in better

Its v cheap to chip them too - the extra power and torque for a few £££ is amazing

Simon

Quote: Originally posted by big hp on 25 April 2003

lol @ Rob

No faith in VAG for handling. They have only produced some of the best handling cars, so not much of a track record. lol

Just thought id emphaisise they have.