ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raced my mates 2.0L 16V Nova!!

It was quite funny! I met him at my mates mechanic shop and we both decided to go for a spin as it was a nice day and he rarely gets the Nova out. (Its a show car for his car stereo company http://www.LMCarAudion.co.ukwww.LMCarAudion.co.uk *free plug*)

We raced down many dual carriage ways from the north end of Stevenage down to Knebworth and it was pretty much neck and neck! He has a Calibra 16V engine which is supposed to put out 155bhp as standard but its got cams, zorst and filter etc. His gear ratios are completely different to mine and he would pull away at low revs (up to about 4000rpm) then I would get right up his arse and nearly past from about 4.5K to 7K. Neither of us were getting any further ahead or further behind eachother!!

Had to really rag my car though. As I noticed the gearing differences I had to adapt by using first gear for much longer than normal (coming off busy roundabouts etc). First gear has such long throw in a 172! If we both floored it in 2nd from about 30/40mph he would be gone! (isnt that wierd!)

The only thing that bothered me though is that he (appeared) to corner better than me. He has had it dropped 60mm on standard (fcuked) dampers and it scrubs like anything...yet he still seemed to have more grip on the road?

-What could this be due to? I have toyo tyres on 17s with a 30mm drop. (standard dampers)... how can I improve handling?

Overall it was a good laugh and we both agreed that for a quarter mile they would probably get the similar times (if we both got off the line at the same point!)

I know someone with a nova sr thats had a 2ltr put in & dropped -60mm on 17"s. Now that handles sh!t. Me and my mate (whos got a pug 205 gti 1.9) have raced him (only I won!) and both of us backed off when we saw it go round corners cos it looked like he was just gonna lose it. Looks very twitchy!

Will try putting mu old 15s on but doubt that would make any difference surely? The extra width of 17s alone should allow for better grip than 15s?

Nice engine bay above- throttle bodies too!!!

mk2 172

is it runnig right your mates? not to put the 172 down in anyway but a standard one would spank a 172 from 80 onwards if it indeed has the right engine (155bhp) some are less. i know of a few, my mates being one of em(its a 2.0 turbo now tho). look at adis mates, standard and crossing the line at high 90s mph. they go like the stink top end

craggy

Doesnt make sense that the car handles better than yours, the big engine in the front would destroy the handling. My mate has an 8v 2.0 in his and its sh*te.

-Rob

Craggy If its an car stereo companys demo car its likely to be full of subs etc ie lots of extra weight so this would account for it not been faster.

Willy2

you will find that your standard wheels on the 172 are lighter so if you race him again on standards you will have him!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 01 May 2003

Doesnt make sense that the car handles better than yours, the big engine in the front would destroy the handling. My mate has an 8v 2.0 in his and its sh*te.

-Rob
Yeah but the 172 is a 2.0ltr as well.:)

clio 20v

my mates 2l nova and mine are very similar in a straight line even up to 140 there was nothing init he ran a 14.6 at york

but add bends and it doesnt do so well its lowered 60mm on 15s but doesnt corner very well at all

adi

i had a nova 1.3sr wiv 17s lowered 35mm on koni adjustables and the werent much that could touch that on the corners!

b4 that it was lowered as far as possible roughly 100-110mm on 15s and it handled even better!

standard there sh*te but wiv abit of work they handle nice