ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

racing blue 182 track car

330Ci Clubsport
Not sure if this warrants a project thread but what the hell! I bought it pretty much as is with the following spec:

Engine:-
CDA Carbon Dynamic Airbox
Stainless Steel Centre Section
Stainless Steel D/cat Pipe
K-Tec Racing Group N Remap
Mocal 12 Row Oil Cooler

Wheels:-
15" OZ Superturismo Wheels in White
Eagle F1 195/50 R15 Tyres

Suspension:-
Spax adjustable coilover kit
OMP Strut Brace

Brakes:-
Brembo HC Front Discs
EBC yellow pads
Goodridge Stainless Steel braided brake lines
Uprated Brake Fluid

Interior:-
OMP 6 Point Cage
Cobra Monaco S Seats
Sparco 4 Point Harness
OMP Small Steering Wheel
OMP Batery Re-Location Kit behind Passenger Seat

Some poor iphone pics.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

330Ci Clubsport
car performed well on its first trackday but 3rd gear became harder to get, then all gears became sticky and crunchy. Thought in for a penny in for a pound so thundered on anyway :)

DSCF2328.jpg

330Ci Clubsport
so got home, removed the gearbox on my driveway and brought it away to get looked at. Noticed A LOT of scoring around the pressure plate and bellhousing but the actual clutch plate was pretty much fine. Then spotted that a spring had came off the pressure plate and rattled around the bellhousing making a bit of a mess :(

Gearbox wasnt economical to repair (needed 4 synchro rings and a 3rd gear) so looked for a replacement. Finding a 182/172 box that hadnt been abused all its life was going to prove difficult so I went to a local scrappy and looked for a box that would fit. The variety in renault boxes is mad ended up with a scenic box tho lol that was 99% there. Couple of mounting lugs needed removing and a bolt moving and it was good to go. Probably had a nice easy life too.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

up in the air:

0f6c17b2.jpg

Also fitted a new valeo clutch kit for the princely sum of 80 notes

IMG_0534.jpg

Managed to wrestle the box up and onto the engine. Happy days everything seemed cool. bolted everything back up, shafts in, wheels on and dropped the car back on the ground. Around 12hrs in at this point

IMG_0535.jpg

Was a long job alright. So went to start it, nothing. Could see the lights dim on the dash when I tried to crank it so thought maybe the battery was flat just. Tried to jump start it, same problem. Opened bonnet and could smell a funny smell. So suspecting starter at this point. Popped exhaust manifold off, whipped starter out and tested with a jump pack. Was fine.

Then I had an awful thought, the box was jamming the flywheel. Tried to turn the flywheel by hand (with a screwdriver on the teeth) and nothing, would not budge. Contemplated suicide at the thought of removing the box again.

Cracked on anyway, pulled the box out (again) and sure enough there were some marks on the casing where the fly was catching. Mr grinder soon removed those and box went back on. A worse wrestling match this time to get the box up and on took me bloody ages. Put two bolts in and tried manually moving the fly again. This time it moved fine. So put the starter etc back in and connected up the battery and gave it a quick crank. Spun up fine so carried on connecting the shafts etc all back into the car (again). Car started fine so happy days. Put oil in the box and tried it on the drive. Gears were way out (reverse was where 1st is) so some adjustments to the linkage later and all was well. Quick run down the street and it was getting all gears nicely. Ratios seem pretty much the same to be honest, still has a vicious pull to it!

Absolute god awful of a job tho, real hateful f**ker! Especially having to do it twice :$

Also fitted k-tec uprated engine and gearbox mounts, along with the compbrake solid upper suspension mounts so should be nice and tight on track now :) Wish they would include instructions with these things ffs, bloody nightmare trying to figure out how they assemble :mad:

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

330Ci Clubsport
Got the car out a proper run today and the box feels brilliant. Real smooth into all gears including 3rd.

Also had a bit of a rethink with the induction kit. Was going to buy the silicone elbow and thought Id go for a 45deg solution given Ive no battery. £15 odds off ebay

photo9.jpg

nice thread, what a gay the gearbox was, i got to do my clutch soon so u wouldnt recommend doing it on your drive then?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
looks good mate :)

Racing blue is the only colour for track cars ;)

330Ci Clubsport
  TrackCar & F30 330d
The gearbox thing must have been SOOOOO annoying. i was annoyed when i bought a second hand shaft and didnt realise it had a little hole in the boot. Put it all back together and then the boot split. Doh! then had to take it out again.

I drive my track sl*g everyday :) and find my harnesses pretty comfortable.

Love the cage on yours

330Ci Clubsport
cage is probably coming out to be honest. Bit overkill for a once a month trackday imo. Might also put some interior bits back in (minus rear seats) and make it a bit more road (and insurance) friendly.

330Ci Clubsport
after the last trackday the brakes (EBC yellowstuff) were a bit wick so replaced them with new Brembo High Carbon discs and Ferodo 2500 pads. Have Ferodo DS pads for the rear too. Pic shows the stud conversion I done as well. Much handier when taking the wheel on and off.

IMG_0578.jpg

Also replaced the decat with a silenced effort which is proper bore instead of the strange one that was on it. Hopefully free a pony or two :)

IMG_0579.jpg

Also added an OMP rear strut brace but no pics yet.

330i. E30 Touring.
Get those calipers painted black or silver!

Gutted about the gearbox. I know first hand what a pig it is. Luckily, mine started first time after moving the earth strap.

330Ci Clubsport
tempted to run the oem 16s tho. Not sure the 15s really gain me much bar lots of wheelspin when exiting corners.

330Ci Clubsport
well bit of an update, sold the 16s. Have also removed the cage as its not worth the hassle for road use and insurance for me. Also made a bit of an effort with the interior. Stripped out is fine but I like a little bit of refinement. So got a carpet set from a dci clio and fitted it while I had the seats out. Also painted the plastic bits and rear strut brace in kawasaki green for a laugh as I had some lying around. Quite tempted to do the wheels that colour too ;)

couple of pics. Still need the side sills and a gear gaitor.

minging carpet:

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

audi a6 3.0tdi
How do you find the spax suspension? i was considering these but nobody uses them. My mates had a few sets on other cars and has always liked them. They have the adjustable damping etc which i like the idea of.