ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radar Detectors

Anyone know whether the police use laser or radar (or both) in their detector vans / speed traps ?

Also anyone recommend the best detector to pick these up ? not worried about fixed cameras.

Cheers

BMW 328 Ci

Radar detectors are being made illegal. Laser ones are still ok though. My snooper uses Laser detectors to find mobile vans and policemen with the handheld ones. I think radar detectors let you know if a camera is live or not, and if the police are in a car whether they are looking at you. Thats what I have been led to believe anyway.

Banana

The obvious problem with all laser detectors is, that it only detects the laser when its active and pointed at or around your car. So, by the time the detector alerts you, youre problably already caught. Pointless IMO.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Mack on 24 June 2005

Radar detectors are being made illegal. Laser ones are still ok though. My snooper uses Laser detectors to find mobile vans and policemen with the handheld ones. I think radar detectors let you know if a camera is live or not, and if the police are in a car whether they are looking at you. Thats what I have been led to believe anyway.
Read a lot of other past threads usign the search and do some good searching on the net and you may find most of your info is wrong.

It has been discussed a lot before. Theres too much hype about detectors being made iliegal and a lot of people are following.

Ford Fiesta

most police forces now use laser, as it is more accurate. Some may still use the old radar guns though.

Most GPS systems only detect laser not radar.

A radar detector such as all the pre GPS systems snooper S5/valentine 1 etc will detect radar and hence you will be able to tell if normal fixed gatso cams are live or not. Howeverthere are many other cameras out these days that dont throw out laser or radar and hence a GPS system is best.

hope this helps.