ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

radar/laser detectors

im purchasing a radar/laser detector soon but dont know which one to go for.im told the two best ones are road angel and snooper s6-r.has anyone got one of these and do they work?

Bell 990 (or is it the 550 now?) is the dogs danglies. Ive got one and itll pick a gatso up from 200m+. :) Its got the full 5-band detection but comes with X-band switched off so wont go mental in town all the time. You do still get a few false alarms from petrol station doors and the occasional traffic light sensor, but you soon learn where they are and ignore them.

As for laser detectors, although most radar detectors have them built in they are ultimately a bit pointless, as Laser has no scatter like radar waves do so the only time it will go off is when youve been done in the 0.3seconds it takes to register a speed. (Mine occasionally goes off under dual-carriageway bridges too but I assume thats from the traffic master number plate readers that work out the average speed on the road network.) The only way to increase your chances of avoiding getting done is to buy a laser diffuser for about £225 (i think), but then you run the risk of getting pulled for perverting the course of justice. A bloke has been nicked for this recently, but as far as I know its still awaiting going to court.

Down-side of normal radar/laser detectors is that they dont pick up SPECS cameras and Truvelo front-facing no-radar cameras, so the GPS based detectors are better for that - but with those you dont pick up plod and his mobile camera van...

You pays ya money...!

Road angels good in their way but bleep far too much, you can push a button to store locations of gatsos yourself as loads of people do this, you update it regularly via phone line the thing starts bleeping far too much, not everyone pushes button where there are cameras!!

Also unless you pay the extra three hundred quid gives you no protection against mobile coppers with radar or laser guns,

Personally I think gatsos are 8 times out of 10 easy enough to spot its the mobile coppers that are the danger.