ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radiator Replacement

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got a new heater matrix to fit in the coming weeks, so I’m refreshing the cooling system while I’m at it.

My radiator is in ok condition but for the sake of £70, it’s make sense to fit a new one while I’ve got the coolant pipes off etc.

Can you fit a new rad without disturbing the Aircon?

Anyone here changed a rad without having to get a garage to de-gas the Aircon before hand? From the guide I’ve read on here, It looks like it’s needed to stay on the safe side.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If the radiator is fucked the condenser is also likely fucked. I doubt you'll be able to free the radiator without destroying the cage fittings on the condenser

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
If the radiator is fucked the condenser is also likely fucked. I doubt you'll be able to free the radiator without destroying the cage fittings on the condenser
Okay cheers.
Googling that told me I actually had them the wrong way around, its the condenser (at the front right?) that is a bit crumbly and the radiator looks ok.

If it’s not leaking coolant or AC gas and the temps of both are fine is it worth doing anything about?
I guess it would be a reasonably large job

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Okay cheers.
Googling that told me I actually had them the wrong way around, its the condenser (at the front right?) that is a bit crumbly and the radiator looks ok.

If it’s not leaking coolant or AC gas and the temps of both are fine is it worth doing anything about?
I guess it would be a reasonably large job
I'd leave it then. If the bottom of your radiator looks like this I'd be swapping them but it's rare you can replace one without the other.

20200802_130229.jpg

Your condenser failing and losing AC is fine, but your radiator failing and losing coolant isn't so fine.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
I'd leave it then. If the bottom of your radiator looks like this I'd be swapping them but it's rare you can replace one without the other.

View attachment 1607632

Your condenser failing and losing AC is fine, but your radiator failing and losing coolant isn't so fine.
Don’t think in far off that and my condenser looks much worse.
My GF is dailying it at the moment so can’t be doing with a break down. What do you reckon?

Attachments

• 40C47210-7DB7-4864-84C4-60752456B59D.jpeg
    40C47210-7DB7-4864-84C4-60752456B59D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 38

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
For what’s it’s worth, I replaced everything when I did this.

As @Louis said, you’ll be hard pushed to replace the rad without destroying a couple of the caged nuts on the condenser. If you shop around, you ac get a rad, condenser and the cylinder thing that sits next to it cheap enough.

I’d replace it all looking at the pic above. When k pulled mine, it looked the same and crumbled in my hands as I pulled it out the bay…
It’s on my build thread somewhere with a rough sort of guide if you need it.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
For what’s it’s worth, I replaced everything when I did this.

As @Louis said, you’ll be hard pushed to replace the rad without destroying a couple of the caged nuts on the condenser. If you shop around, you ac get a rad, condenser and the cylinder thing that sits next to it cheap enough.

I’d replace it all looking at the pic above. When k pulled mine, it looked the same and crumbled in my hands as I pulled it out the bay…
It’s on my build thread somewhere with a rough sort of guide if you need it.
Great thanks. Your build looks great by the way. Any reason you got a genuine radiator over the nissens one?

How was the job? I just did the steering rack bushes and I’m not ready for another PITA job 😂

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Great thanks. Your build looks great by the way. Any reason you got a genuine radiator over the nissens one?

How was the job? I just did the steering rack bushes and I’m not ready for another PITA job 😂
Thanks mate (y)

I think I ordered a load of stuff from RPD at the time, and it was just easier to get one I knew fit, rather than having to mess around with eBay parts.

it’s not a bad job though. It’s a bit of a wiggle to put everything back in but apart from that, it’s fairly straight forward. I had a nightmare bleeding it tho!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Don’t think in far off that and my condenser looks much worse.
My GF is dailying it at the moment so can’t be doing with a break down. What do you reckon?
Yours looks worse than mine did 🤣
Go nissens or genuine, both are equally as good imho.

May aswell man maths it and do silicone hoses whilst there 😶‍🌫️

Bleeding is also easy, just squeeze all the hoses and leave cap off coolant bottle.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, thanks both of you. Will probably get some Nissens parts ordered and spend a day on it at some point.

Radiator, condenser and dryer needed right? Any fixings/seals?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, thanks both of you. Will probably get some Nissens parts ordered and spend a day on it at some point.

Radiator, condenser and dryer needed right? Any fixings/seals?
You should be able to reseal. You'll need some cagenuts too. Think they're m5?

C63 PPP Estate
Is there a 'how-to' anywhere? I was hearing a high pressure hiss after some spirited driving at the weekend, looking through the front lower grille I can see what looks like Radiator coolant weeping out of the bottom - nearside I think, will have to go and look again once it's hot - of what I thought was the radiator, but if I'm understanding this right, the air-con condenser sits in-front of the radiator so that's what I'd be looking at through the lower front bumper grille? Clio 182 FF

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Is there a 'how-to' anywhere? I was hearing a high pressure hiss after some spirited driving at the weekend, looking through the front lower grille I can see what looks like Radiator coolant weeping out of the bottom - nearside I think, will have to go and look again once it's hot - of what I thought was the radiator, but if I'm understanding this right, the air-con condenser sits in-front of the radiator so that's what I'd be looking at through the lower front bumper grille? Clio 182 FF

Yeah the air con condenser is at the front. Wouldn't normally be leaking fluid, although the greeny/yellow dye they use in with the refrigerant is a similar colour to the Type D Renault coolant.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

AC condenser is in front of the radiator, if a stone punctures it then you will get a hiss. You should see marks on the front of the condenser where the oil thats added to the system is staining the condenser as it runs down. if there is still a bit of pressure in the system then you will see bubbles if you spray a bit of soapy water on it.

Its an easy swap, this guide assumes you have bought an AC condenser that comes with the drier fitted already, which most do.

Remove the plastic covers over the valve on the AC pipes, there will be 2, a High and a low pressure one, one is bigger than the other.
image-from-ios-3.jpg

Wearing protective gloves and eye protection, give the centre of the valve a press with a long screw driver (its the same as a tyre valve) and see if you get a hiss, if you do, its still got gas, if you don't its empty.

if its got gas, It would be possible but extremely irresponsible to the environment and illegal to just vent it to atmosphere so of course it would be wise to get a garage to remove the gas.

Once its empty remove the front bumper, drain the coolant system by disconnect the 2x radiator hoses (top and bottom) from the radiator, disconnect the connector to the radiator fan and the AC pressure switch (bottom right hand side). Remove the top cross member that has the bonnet latch on it (2x 13mm nuts at either side and 2x 13mm nuts on the front - These 2 don't need removed just loosened as the holes are slotted)

remove the 10mm bolt from the 2x AC pipes to condenser and give them a gentle wiggle/twist until the pop out. now you can remove the radiator and AC condenser from the car as one unit.

When off the car, attach your new rad and AC condenser together and swap the radiator fan and AC pressure switch over and refit to the car.

Replace the rubber Orings on the AC fittings or grease them up if in good condition and re connect, these don't need to go mega tight, you don't want to strip the threads.

You want to get it regassed as soon as possible to keep the drier in good condition since it now has moisture in the system from the air which will be removed at Regas

once the garage has regassed the system its worth spraying some soapy water over all the joins and connections to make sure everything is happy and no leaks (bubbles!)

My local garage are £60 to regas the system but do me a trade price of £30 if they are literally just doing a vacuum and gas and its up to me to ensure its all sealed etc so they don't do any leak testing

C63 PPP Estate
AC condenser is in front of the radiator, if a stone punctures it then you will get a hiss. You should see marks on the front of the condenser where the oil thats added to the system is staining the condenser as it runs down. if there is still a bit of pressure in the system then you will see bubbles if you spray a bit of soapy water on it.
Thanks Martin, what was coming out and dripping on the floor was bright green, so I assumed it was coolant (it was dark and I was tired, and engine was still too hot to touch). It was leaking from right at the front bottom corner of what I could see through the grille.

Annoyingly I had it re-gassed at the beginning of summer.

I'll go get some photos and post up, any advice on confirming if it's the rad or condenser would be great. Sorry for the novice questions; I have to work on my car on the road so always like to be as certain as poss before dismantling the damn thing 🙃

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The AC system oil will generally have a green die in it so you can leak check it using a UV light so you might find thats what it is, but it generally just runs it shouldn't be dripping much.

Check the lower rad hose is on tight as the clamp down there can corrode and snap off and the pipe can start working loose, especially when hot and pressurised

C63 PPP Estate
Your coolant level will be going down if it's that.

Get some pictures of you can.
Not that I expect any of you to be able to make anything out of these photos, but that’s the drivers side of the condenser/radiator looking through the lower front bumper grille
8B247F77-6410-4DD6-811E-EDB99D3AC36C.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C1FE923-E4F9-4D4C-843E-F9B0BDBA0BB5.jpeg
    9C1FE923-E4F9-4D4C-843E-F9B0BDBA0BB5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20DB6F6F-DD99-4138-80CE-25017533444C.jpeg
    20DB6F6F-DD99-4138-80CE-25017533444C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 98E8AD11-B602-44AB-B571-E749E91B25C3.jpeg
    98E8AD11-B602-44AB-B571-E749E91B25C3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like coolant to me.

The dye in the AC oil is usually more luminous looking.

Hard to say for definite. What's your coolant level like, is it going down? It would be very noticeable with a leak like that.

C63 PPP Estate
Looks like coolant to me.

The dye in the AC oil is usually more luminous looking.

Hard to say for definite. What's your coolant level like, is it going down? It would be very noticeable with a leak like that.
Nah think you’re right; it was REALLY luminous when it came out. Prob is it’s quite cold at the mo, but pretty sure ac not as cold as it was blowing. Coolant level hasn’t moved

Mini cooper
Thanks Martin, what was coming out and dripping on the floor was bright green, so I assumed it was coolant (it was dark and I was tired, and engine was still too hot to touch). It was leaking from right at the front bottom corner of what I could see through the grille.

Annoyingly I had it re-gassed at the beginning of summer.

I'll go get some photos and post up, any advice on confirming if it's the rad or condenser would be great. Sorry for the novice questions; I have to work on my car on the road so always like to be as certain as poss before dismantling the damn thing 🙃
I would be pointing towards the condenser, theoretically shouldn’t need to “top up” system. If it’s being re gassed it’s because it’s lost it. Best way to check is if you’ve got someone local who’s ac engineer to get a gauge on it, on 134a you’d be looking at about 3 bar ish on the suction (bigger) port