ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ramps, Lifts.. MOT related.. Help!

S13
Car went in for it's MOT the other day, all well and good.. except for the car never actually had the MOT 'cos it was too low to get on the ramps. Gutted tbh, since I worked quite hard getting it to a state where it might actually pass an MOT.

Apparantly the guy told my dad (I was at work at the time) that it needed to be raised 4 inches so it could go on the ramps, I'm fairly certain that it's never 4 inches lower than stock, and even if the car was lowered 30mm surely it would still go on the ramps.

Can someone in the trade (or anyone that happens to know :p) describe to me, or give me a picture of, a type of ramp that my car would be able to get on?

Or, preferably, tell me somewhere in East/North London that has ramps suitable for slammed motors that do 'sympathetic' MOT's ;) .

Cheers,

Rob.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ramps that are sunk into the ground.

I thought all MOT rams had to be completely flush with the floor..... I may be wrong.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
find somewhere thats got a pit rather than ramps, then they can get underneath it without having to raise it. although pits are pretty much a thing of the past, they guy who does mine stil has a pit in the MOT bay :)

172mk2 - flame
I have a pit in my garage! lol dont ask my why, seems to go down well with the local rats!

Lionel Richie
if mine can get on the ramp then anyones can! (mine has to be reversed on)

IMG_0569.jpg

They just don't want to do it unless its realy low and there ramsp don't go low they havn't realy any excuse.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
any newish mot station will have a ramp that when lowered sits flush with the ground so you can drive straight. a mot station must only use a flat bed ramp or pit. try another mot centre

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
as said above mot ramp should be a 4 poster that sits flush to floor, like so....

Image008-1.jpg

as you can see unless the car is literally 2 cms off the floor it shouldnt have any bother getting on the ramp, 2 posters on the other hand are a royal pain in the back side for my 106! have to get trolley jacks under it and then but blocks of wood under the wheels to raise it up enough :clown: the joys of having a modified car eh! :rolleyes:

S13
It wasn't so much getting it on to the ramp, I didn't explain very well. Once the car was half way onto the ramp, there was like 2 sections of metal running between the 2 halves of the ramp that apparantly they jack the car up on while it's on the ramp to check the steering components, and it was these that the car couldn't get over.

But thanks for the replies anyway, I'll take it somewhere with flush to the floor ramps and tell them to reverse it on.

P

phill172

have the same problem with my vw beetle, its so low that i had to narrow the beam by 4.5 inches! Just find any garage that does classic cars etc as they all have flat ramps and are sympathetic to lowered viechles or a small private garage, i wouldnt bother about going to a 'average' garage as there all run by pricks!