ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Random limp mode 1.2 - please help!

Clio 1.2 dynamique
Hi all!
I recently got a 1.2 dynamique clio (its a bit of a dog) on 110000 miles... it has been brilliant so far but has this weird intermittent fault causing the electrical warning light to come on the dash board, and a huge loss of power + slow revving.

Every time it happens I find a small amount of moisture in the fuse box under the brown, black and yellow cube shaped fuse ( I know what they are called.... but for some reason the word escapes me!!) each time I sand the metal connectors and dry the area, there was also some green stuff on the metal pins. So, I have tried to seal the fuse box which keeps the limp mode at bay for a few weeks.

Today it got a bit worse and did it 3 times in the dry (altho, I found some moisture again in the fuse box!) and the orange engine warning light came on..... This threw up a code of p0225 on my cheapo code reader (throttle/pedal position sensor/ switch c circuit malfunction)

some people suggest a sensor on the throttle peddle could be the cause? Others say to clean the throttle body?

some even suggest a rubbed piece of wire near the ecu????

Any pointers or pictures of the sensor would be brilliant!

tommy.

Fuse box in the engine bay.
Big white plug.
Start by cleaning that.
If it's the fuse box in the engine bay that you keep finding moisture in, is your wheel arch lining attached properly? If it's missing or not attached correctly that would certainly let moisture in.

Listerine & Poledo
fix the leak before you fix the electrics.
or you'll just be fixing the same problem every 30 minutes.

clio expression
The most common problem is the tamper proof box above the ecu plug working loose and chafing wires, check the top of the bay below windscreen, if the metal black box is there, you need to remove it asap!
I had the throttle fault thrown up a few times whilst the electrical fault light was showing but if the ecu wires are worn through, you will always be chasing problems that arent there.
Let me know if you locate the box/chafed wires on the plug and ill let you know how i cured mine

Clio 1.2 dynamique
Thank you for your knowledge here!
I have checked the wheel arch liners, one wasnt quite seated on the plastic front wing, and the second part of it had a bunged up drain hole with mud... so sorted those out.

I looked at the large white connector - tried to ope nit up/ pull it apart but it wasnt budging... gave the outer bit and wires a clean as they were filthy.

I have found that mine does have the black box, with some rust dust on the wires coming out of it! It looks to be welded on!!!?? is this something some silly owner has added? If so, they need their head checking!

How on earth do you get it off? @clioziggy

clio expression
I would then assume your car is pre 2004 and has the rubber encased top loom as opposed to the one with the revised plastic cover? If so this is your problem.
Its not welded on but is a thick steel welded structure made by renault to deter theives, and they are designed to be tamper proof so are a pain to remove but its possible! I removed mine with a metal pick and a mirror, as there is a gold wheel located inside the box at the back, so nearest the windscreen, use the mirror to find it and it will help in using the pick in the holes on the wheel the turn it until it clicks, it should then lift out of place! Throw it away as it will always be problematic..
once this is off you can examine the wires underneath, if any are showing wire through then this will cause you all of the problems you mention, unfortunately i have never heard of a repair lasting more than a few weeks so your best bet would be the revised top loom.
I changed mine 6 months ago after my warning light would appear and the car cutting out whenever it did, or going in to limp mode and not driving over 30mph, and it has been faultless ever since!
The loom is £150 ish from renault i believe, but i picked one up from the local scrappies for £5 and fitted it in an afternoon, i can throw a guide up on here if it would help if this is the route you wish to take.

Clio 1.2 dynamique
fantastic, thank you! I will get to it today then go to my local scrappers and get the new section of loom.

Clio 1.2 dynamique
Righto - Managed to get the tamper proof box off - But I think My ecu wires must be the revised type (odd as its a 53 reg) as there is no scuffing, there was a thick piece of plastic around it. Removed it anyway to make sure it doesnt become a problem!
Hasnt gone into limp mode again and ive been about 200 miles today, but none of it in the wet!

Hopefully the wheel arch issues will solve the leak - unless they are known to leak from other places?