ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rapid loss of water! help please!

i started my 172 after 11 days of bein away and didnt think anything off it and the day after i went on a 400mile road trip.
anyway today i fitted a new bonnet and realised it had no water in it.... i filled it up and ran the car for bout 15mins to which i saw steam coming from the airbox side of the radiator so i turned it off and then a large amoount of red water ran from under the car. the water botle had gone down by half.....

i have just recently ran it up again for 15mins and there was no steam and no water loss?!?!?!?!

help im sooo confused!!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Water pump on the airbox side? Don't think so.
Take off the airbox. Look at the radiator where the fan housing sits against it. They can vibrate and wear a gap. You may see some staining on the radiator bottom hose if it is. Will leak as it warms up and when it vibrates (on more bump roads?). Fix is a new radiator and cutting away some of the fan housing. BTW the coolant for 172s is Type D only from Renault and it's green.

fitted a new rad and trimmed some of the top hose because it was perished. the aircon rad had broke of the brackets as well aand was ratteling and moving around plus previous owner looks like theve gashed an aircon hose with tape so theres no chance of re-gasing it now.

and about the coolent its suposed to be green? its got the pink stuff in it atm? will it make a difference?