ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raspberry Pi

Astra (H) VXR
Anyone got one?

Worth buying?

Can't believe I only just found out about the today. They sound great for watching films, sports etc.. But has anyone for any experience they can share help be justify spending £80 for a job lot..

Cheers

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
There's a pretty big thread somewhere about them, do a search.

Bit gimmicky. I bought a little breakout kit for mine recently to have a play with (basically some wires and a breadboard), but that's only because I like playing with electronics and things.

I have the early model, the newer ones have more RAM so might be better but imo they are pretty rubbish as a media player, I'd rather an xbox which will do everything the pi will (except mkv playback) a lot better.

2014 Focus Titanium
There's a pretty big thread somewhere about them, do a search.

Bit gimmicky. I bought a little breakout kit for mine recently to have a play with (basically some wires and a breadboard), but that's only because I like playing with electronics and things.

I have the early model, the newer ones have more RAM so might be better but imo they are pretty rubbish as a media player, I'd rather an xbox which will do everything the pi will (except mkv playback) a lot better.

MKV is the most popular container these days for media, for this reason I have never used my xbox as a player. The latest Raspberry Pi is plenty powerful enough from what I have read.

Flamer
My brother bought my nephew one for his Xmas he seems to enjoy it... Don't really understand it myself but I'm not the brightest lol

exactly how mines running. Runs smoothly as you'd like, and got a few plugins installed for xbmc

i still use Win Media Centre over xmbc due to the live tv support which we run to extenders throughout the house , however i can see me doing it eventually , metadata for movies and tv seems excellent on xmbc

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Running openelec xmbc on a pi you have a fully featured media player thats very slick . Full remote control from your tv remote as the pi (if your tv does) supports hdmi cec ....

Brilliant soloution for minimal cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U7kZF14tDQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

When I played about with it I used Raspbmc, it was painfully slow when browsing the menus, once playing it was fine. I guess openelec is better, or the newer model with more memory overcomes this problem.

When I played about with it I used Raspbmc, it was painfully slow when browsing the menus, once playing it was fine. I guess openelec is better, or the newer model with more memory overcomes this problem.

​both are the answer to your question .

Raspbmc has come along way lately.

I got halfway through making a double din car stereo out of one. Then broke the touch screen and gave up.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Started playing with mine again today, this thread motivated me to do it..

Installed OpenElec with XBMC. Set it up on an old monitor at work.

img20130613wa0001.jpg

Actually very surprised and impressed with it. May have to find some more uses for it!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Bit of a bump, but I've just got the B+ model and am currently putting RetroPie on it to play Amiga & SNES games etc

I find the B+ much better - using one as a data logger in the track car over a serial line, to a USB stick. Boots much faster than the B+, and can interface more

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I have around 500 movies on a hard drive, can i set up a file system on a pi so i can run these movies on to my tv and possibly see descriptions or covers? I keep hearing of XBMC.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Got my Pi 2 today, it's currently downloading all the files etc for RetroPie takes (16-20hours) but should be good to go then.

I've also got a 2nd one on order.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I really wish that they added gigabit ethernet on the latest model.. :S

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I disagree. When watching really high bit-rate high quality movie files, i'd like gigabit lan.

clio 16v
I used one for a long time and was really impressed with open elec. However they are pretty much obsolete since the Xbox one media player was released imo

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
you think? the interface and the way Kodi (xbmc) categorizes all your content trumps Xbox one media player IMO (I also own an Xbox one).

Since updating my setup with a pi2 and using the OSMC installer I was up and running in 5 minutes. Definite improvement on the old version for sure. The extra grunt from the processor and memory has made the extra difference and for £30 or so, you can't go wrong.

Also got a power adapter for it that plugs directly into the tv's USB so that it automatically boots as i turn on the television.

clio 16v
you think? the interface and the way Kodi (xbmc) categorizes all your content trumps Xbox one media player IMO (I also own an Xbox one).

Since updating my setup with a pi2 and using the OSMC installer I was up and running in 5 minutes. Definite improvement on the old version for sure. The extra grunt from the processor and memory has made the extra difference and for £30 or so, you can't go wrong.

Also got a power adapter for it that plugs directly into the tv's USB so that it automatically boots as i turn on the television.
Just my opinion. Album art etc doesn't really bother me, but I can see why it matters to some.

Got my sky box and surround sound running though through the Xbox with one guide setup. Means one box controls everything and I can control the lot through smartglass on my tablet.

Swings and roundabouts tbh.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
yeah. my dad is of the same opinion, as he also has his virgin tivo running through his.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
in terms of what I use it for, I feel it was worth it in terms of the extra speed.

Picked up a FLIRC case for it too, easily the best quality and easiest to put together case for sure, would recommend it 100%

I assume if I have a pi model B based media setup, I can slot in the new one with all the same peripherals, cables etc, they've not done anything daft?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
just the case really. a pi model B+ case would fit a pi 2, but a model B case wouldnt fit a pi2.