ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle/Vibration from engine

Hi guys, recently got a Mk2 172 and the more I rag it without the tunes pumpin I have noticed a rattle/vibration in the engine...this will be hard for me to explain cos I know dick all about engines :oops:. Anyway at about 4000 rpm in second for example a rattly vibration seems to start from the frontish left side of the car (thats what it sounds like) and then goes when you go past 4000rpm (maybe just cannot hear it cos of lound engine noise?) and then if you let off the power it happens again as the revs come down past 4000! Renault said they thought it was a heat shield but want £57 per hour took have a look and fix it!! Anyone else had this and is there a simple way to fix yourself?? Thanks guys...

WestWood

Renault Laguna Coupe

This sounds like the famous 4k rattle. Its the exhaust, usually the centre box. Either take it back for Renault to fix, or chuck the exhaust away and get a Magnex / K-tec or whatever stainless steel exhaust you prefer.

If youve got a MK2 172, odds are its still under warranty. Probably 90% of 172s have had this 4k rattle problem. I had it on my MK2 172 from 3000 miles and my MK1 172 is developing right now at 31k miles. Do NOT let the cheeky theiving Renault dealers charge you £57/hour to fix it if you are still under warranty. They should repair their shoddy workmanship for free.

If you are out of warranty, do as Mike says and get a full SS system for half the price that Renault charge for their mild steel piece of sh*te.

Rhys

Thanks for the replies - glad to see its a common problem..I think. Well when I took it to Renault they did work on the car, airbag light, humming noise when starting, fixed me key etc and said it was under warranty. When I picked the beast up after the work was done they said we cannot find it on our system and it is probably an import so there is no warrantly - give us the money for the work we did you bastad (basically) :mad:. I said screw you and got out of paying for all except me new key but am left with the worry of me car being an import even though the guy I bought from said it was not (I have his address :D) and it came up HPI clear which I thought would tell me if it was an import?? Anyway so it cannot be fixed easily no? Surely I dont need to get a new exhaust just for a rattle - would be nice though!

WestWood

Looks good, and that would definately get rid of the problem, I dont want to get a new exhaust and still have a rattle? I.E. you are sure that is what the problem is? Any good websites I can look @ to price up some bits? Thanks,

WestWood

Quote: Originally posted by WestWood on 01 November 2003

When I picked the beast up after the work was done they said we cannot find it on our system and it is probably an import so there is no warrantly - give us the money for the work we did you bastad (basically) :mad:.

I think all MK2 172 imports have a 3 year warranty, provided they come from inside the EU (eg: one from Greece would not have a 3 year warranty). Its been discussed to death over the last two years, so if you do a search on the General forum you will find some details about this.

it came up HPI clear which I thought would tell me if it was an import??

HPi will only give you details on whether it is clear of Hire Purchase or not, plus some details on mileage and theft i think. Its not illegal to sell someone an imported car. In fact, I think most 172s on the road are probably parallell imports due to the excellent prices compared to those at your local robbing dealership.

Anyway so it cannot be fixed easily no? Surely I dont need to get a new exhaust just for a rattle - would be nice though!

I think they might be able to replace just the bits that are causing the problem, but if you shout at them enough they might give you a whole new system....you never know!

When I was @ renault they showed me the computer and it said the car had a paint warranty and corrosion one but no other warranty left - it ran out in November last year which meant it only had a 1 year warranty :(. Bastads

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by WestWood on 01 November 2003

Looks good, and that would definately get rid of the problem, I dont want to get a new exhaust and still have a rattle? I.E. you are sure that is what the problem is? Any good websites I can look @ to price up some bits? Thanks,

WestWood
Itll get rid of the problem for sure. Exhausts are available from lots of places - http://www.k-tecracing.comK-tec racing and http://www.demon-tweeks.com/Demon Tweeks are popular (for Demon Tweeks you really need a catalogue).