ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust, top end rattles, many, MANY lights on the dash......argh....

2003 Clio 172
Hey squad,
Long time no speak (and i have let my membership lapse.....#shame)
Clio has been trouble free for so long so I can't complain, but lately....wow.....its.....well....its bucked. LOL!
Ok, I'll start.

1.) Exhaust rattles.
Well, this car has a KTec stealth cat back system on it and for the past months......it has been buzzing at around 4k and doing my head in. So much so, I removed ALL of the heat shields to see if it was them. Nope. So I put them all back on, but at least it proved that to me. Seems to be the centre section resonating at these rpm's and its 'orrible. Centre has also developed a hairline crack in it. I did not put the exhaust on the car, it was fitted by the previous owner and from chatting to Becky in KTec, this was about 6 months before I bought it. So I contacted KTec anyway......and they have offered to send me a temporary exhaust and have mine returned for repair while I give them a £100 security deposit until my one is returned. Due to ill health I am going to have to pay someone to remove/replace the exhaust 2 times (cheapest locally is around £120 for both) and I guess the question I have is, is this the norm to repair the exhaust? Granted, I am not the original purchaser and KTec are in their own words "going to lengths" to do this for me. But any lifetime exhausts I have had problems with in the past (supersprint and magnex) were replaced, on the spot......no repairs. Guess KTec have me by the nuts :/

2.)Engine top end
Since I have had the car, I have always serviced it well. Probably too well. But I always use top quality oil and always genuine filters etc. I have noticed, more of late that there is a distinct rattling/tapping coming from the head. The sound is nowhere near the dephaser and it does go when the revs cross say 2000 rpm. Does that sound like hydraulic lifters or something like that? Is that a cost effective fix? Appreciate its probably a total stripping match but I am nearing a belt change anyway.

3.)Dashboard christmas tree
Yesterday, when i got into the car to drive home, I noted that the ABS, SERV and ESP lights were all on. When I drove off, i saw the STOP and handbrake light come on too. The car was given the "full monty" wash the day before.....including heavy work on the arches etc. I suspect this is an ABS sensor as it comes on immediately before the car even moves....but could it be something worse? ABS pump or scary stuff like that?

On that note, was wondering/hoping there was someone in/near Belfast with an RSTuner or CLip who could help me diagnose? Biggest mistake fof ownership was selling my RSTuner but hard times fall on us sometimes and that money saved my bacon.

Is there any other way of diagnosing this?

Secondly, if anyone has an RSTuner for sale, I would really love to hear from you now.

Sorry for the biblical rant guys

Cheers
J

2003 Clio 172
Ok....well......what about this.

There is something obviously wrong that the car reports before it has even moved.....so is there a way of checking the abs sensors?

I know they throw a signal when the wheel is rotated but I only have a turd multimeter.

So given the problem throws when the car is immediately turned on, would I be right in saying I would be checking for a break in one of the abs sensors if they are a closed circuit?

J

2003 Clio 172
Abs rings are all perfect bud.....replaced all just under a year ago and back then, it only threw a problem when driving for a while.....but usually just farted the abs

This is a problem a soon as the ignition goes on

Fuse is ok too as is the speedo.

J

2003 Clio 172
Sorry, search....I know......found this

So I am looking for a resistance of 1130 Ohms on each sensor static......and continuity.....obviously?

J

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I have the same lights on my black phase 2 and on a diagnostic it came up right rear sensor.
But i hadn't moved the car. When i parked it nothing was on.

2003 Clio 172
I hope I get something similar..........always fear the worst.....had an ABS pump fail in on a BMW we had.......arse was never the same after that :/
I regret selling my RSTuner......EVERY.....SINGLE.....DAY
Superbump....anyone have one to sell?

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
Had the dame scare on our touran a couple of months ago!

Had it plugged in said abs pump fault and a new one was £1200!

I googled it and it turns out a dirty fuse can give the same fault. Pulled every fuse in the fuse box, the very last one was green! Replaced it and no more light!

Thank f**k i didn't book it in to have the pump done. The fault would've still been there!

2003 Clio 172
Tell me about it bud....that BMW broke us :(
Turbo went a few months later.....sent it down the line and took a huge hit.

Cars eh?
J

2003 Clio 172
Hi guys,
Not sure if this helps but i went round all my abs sensors tonight with my albeit crappy multimeter.
Not sure if this shows any issues?
Thoughts?
clio.png