ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Rattling" Sound on bumpy roads..

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Hi recently my car has started making a "rattling" sort of noise.
Its a 1.2 16v 2005 clio.
It started after i got off the motorway the other day after a short journey 2 days ago.
After going over speedbumps and once "landing" back onto the road id hear a rattling type of sound.
It seems to have got worse today, seems to be doing it over a normal, a little bit bumpy road.

Theres a rattling/banging type of noise, its coming from the middle, im no mechanic but im sure its not from the wheels/springs.
Any idea's as to what it could be?

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
I meant the front, middle underneath of the car, my car doesnt have a sunroof

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I thought this was feature of all clios?! lol. check the exhaust heat sheilding is all ok under the car as thats about the only thing I can think of in the bottom middle of the car...

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
I should of made it clearer, i meant at the front of the car under the engine. In the middle, not the wheels, but in the middle of them.
Its a Extreme 4, the model that doesnt come with a sunroof.

Could be anything really, albeit these renaults are rattly in general. As said loose manifold sheild perhaps, have a good butchers from where you think the noise is coming from shake a few parts see if they are loose/rattle. It may even become obvious once you've had a good look.

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
I havnt had chance to have a look yet, will do once i get a chance.
It feels as if its coming from directly the middle of the car, like next to my left foot while im driving.
This may be a wild guess but iv read something along the lines of this before.. could it be gearbox mount or something?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Balljoints, ARB droplinks, shocks, springs

Those are just the things to check (looking is the only way to tell) before anything else

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
521b25e2-2249-9951.jpg

I think I found the problem,
Looks as if some bar has come off it's nut? But the nuts still there?
What's that bar called?

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Quality isn't good once uploaded you can just faintly see, I'll try get a better pic tomorrow.

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
I thought that too, but when i type it into euro car parts, the pictures is of something else, what the bar connects/is screwed on to.
Would it be that part that needs replacing?

172 Cup
Yep thats the anti roll bar, if the nut is still there then it sounds like the washer has snapped and disappeared, making the bar drop through the nut.

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Does the link come with the washer?
Oh i was planning on having a shot at my self looked simple enough, sounds like it isnt

Clio 1.2 Extreme 4
Thanks for the help, going to order the lemforder one.
Would my car need a service? (oilchange etc)
It was last serviced last January its only done about 7000 miles in the year. (its an 05 with 50000 on the clock)
Spark plugs were changed about this time last year.
The only problem iv had was the coil pack this time last year, but iv noticed the car is running abit rough at idle so perhaps as service is due?
If so which oil do i use? Not really sure which and what all these numbers mean 5w30/10w30 etc.