ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattling top end help!

Lionel Richie
hum, it sounds like its coming from the middle of the cylinder head

its a blood loud tapping, metal on metal

they're all in spain testing the porsche for the lemans series;)

and this has nothing to do with yozzasport, and we're still very good mates, so cork it :rasp:

Thats what he thinks... ;-)

Anyhow - we have both scratched our heads over it for a few days and not heard anything like it before...

/y0z

ITB'd MK1
tried a different de-phaser pulley yet? if it's lost it's "tension" (for want of a better phrase) internally it could be slopping about

Lionel Richie
right there's no noise coming from the dephaser (i ran the engine with the covers off) haven't bothered changing it as i don't see the point

its had a different set of tappets thrown in

interestingly the noise seems to be coming from the plenham which is very odd

i'm 300% baffled by this car!

Yeah but you've changed the tappets out for old ones. How do you know the old ones were not also fucked? Sorry, I don't know a great deal about engines, but your logic is definitely flawed, no?

Lionel Richie
yeah but the chances of having an identical noise from the same area after replacing all the tappets in random order??

ValverInBits
Whats the standard valve clearance like with F4Rs?
Has the head been skimmed or the block? valve on piston contact?
It's a long shot, but if it's not tappets then I'm out of ideas

Lionel Richie
Whats the standard valve clearance like with F4Rs?
Has the head been skimmed or the block? valve on piston contact?
It's a long shot, but if it's not tappets then I'm out of ideas

well according to the owner the car was taken for a test drive buy the potential new owner, who's obviously ragged it, but the car was low on oil (no warning light) then the noise started

the owner has put in 4/5L of new oil in and then it came to me 4 days after having new oil, i drained the "new oil" and it was black

there's no bottom end knock, there's no damage to the cams/rockers etc everything appears fine

i don't know the full history of this car, i do know that during mapping by "the tuning comapny" the original engine dropped a valve and totalled the engine, it has been fully rebuilt with high comp pistons, cams etc etc

if a valve was hitting a piston i doubt it would run

Megane 225
Mine had oil starvation when the oil blew out through the seal on the filter. Sounded like tappet damage, but after trying everything else we ended up replacing the big end bearings!

2005 Nissan Navara
It will run if the valves are "kissing" the pistons. It sounds the same or similar to noisey tappets....but tbh the noise in that vid is very excessive for this.
Also this has high comp forged pistons?? these usually allow ALOT more clearance than stock items.

Is it localised to one area of the head?? Have you check all the rocker arms??

Another thing to check if its been ran low on oil is that the cam journals havent worn, so the cam(s) are literalls slapping about in the head.

ValverInBits
bottom end would normally give up if he's had to put that much oil in?

Can it really not be the bottom fred?

Megane 225
Mine sounded like it was coming from the top, but was the big end bearings! They're noisey as f**k! Just noticed the video! Mine sounded identical to that!

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
drives fine, haven't thrashed it but it goes fine upto 5000rpm

its meant to have high comp pistons in it

rockers are all find and cam lobes were all identical

the thing is it was ok before, something has happened to it on the test drive to cause the rattle (sounds like there is a nut rattling round inside the plenham)

worth whipping the sump off and having a look?

2005 Nissan Navara
erm....youve basically said it had like a litre of oil in it on the test drive!

doesnt sound like big ends to me tbh. they show up more on load and over run at like 3000 rpm, pretty quiet on idle.

Its probably had enough oil in to keep the bottom end lubricated, but not enough to provide sufficient flow to the top-end.

I reckon its the inlet cam journals.....

audi a3 1.8t sport
did a 1.6 16v at work with the same noise and sounded like it was coming from the inlet manifold and turned out to be the dephaser.

Lionel Richie
right i'm still baffled!! head came off today and there's nothing wrong with that either!

its had a spare set of tappets
a spare vvt pulley
a spare exhaust pulley

and it still rattles its tits off :(

the only thing left to check is the bottom end, but the rattle ain't coming from there so i don't see the point!

Lionel Richie
done that

i think i might have found the cause (cambelt tensioner, this is with the tensioner done up tight)
th_MOV00046.jpg

LY 182
piston slap?? some of these forged pistons sound awful normally on startup but its something to think about

nothing wrong with the cam journals as stan suggested?

bearings on the roller rockers ok?

no evidence of valve/piston contact?

exhaust cam pulley is rubber bushed from memory i think.. that worn?

ITB'd MK1
any idea what the pistons are?

time to take the bottom end apart I think. Could be as simple as the oil pump chain is touching the cover

Lionel Richie
nope, done them too, honnestly there's naff all wrong with it (but there is) if that makes any sense! LOL