ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rattly gearbox

ive been hearing a rattling sound from the gearstick area for a while in my 16v now. it happens as you rev the engine and seems to be worse in reverse. obviously the gearbox mounts are gash and im wondering if it could be related to this?

or perhaps bearings?

thanks in advance for your help

SC 172 FF

im having my gear box recond as we speak!....think it was the bearings that went.....1st it sounded like i quiet squeekin noise like a flat tire then it started sounding like a crisp packet was stuck behind my wheels!

get it on sum ramps n turn the front wheels as fast as u can, shud b able 2 find out where the sounds cumin from that way m8!

Williams 2, STi N12

Just had my gearbox rebuilt also - for the second time!!

Bearings went, but you could hear a grinding sound that worsened either on full load or lift off. I.e. When the transmission goes from one extreme to the other and the shaft running through the bearing flexs.

Try draining your gearbox oil, as the sump plug is magnetic and should have bits of swarf and metallic streaks in the fluid if a bearing is going. It is cheap to re-fill and is a lot cheaper than paying a garage to investigate before even telling you what is wrong.