ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(Re)Introduction and a couple of questions

Audi S4 Avant
Afternoon everyone - thought I would start off by saying hello before diving into a couple of questions I have. I posted a few times back in 2007 but nothing since!

By way of an intro, I have a 2003 172 Cup that I inherited from my dad when he became to poorly to drive - Mondial Blue with just under 40,000 miles. He used to use it to potter round locally, hence the low miles. I took it on and have tried to tidy it up where I can but I have to say, it drives me crazy! It's a complete hoot to drive, even though it's actually a third car for me (daily is an M2C and I also have a TVR Chimaera) but there is always 'something' wrong with it!

The current issue is an intermittent problem with the immobiliser - sometimes it starts on the button for a week or so, then it will turn over but quickly stop, or it will start then stop, or even not turn over at all. I was stuck at a petrol pump for 15 minutes last week whilst it was playing sill buggers before deciding it would allow me to go home :)

I have replaced the immobiliser ring but the problem still persists - any ideas what else it might be? I'm at the point where I might even see if I can get the immobiliser coded out completely, if that's possible?

Second question is - I had to take the fuse cover etc off to get the BCM sorted out ages ago - when I put it all back together again, I had a bit left over and I cannot work out what it is or where it goes :rolleyes:. It a small piece of black plastic that looks as though it slides in somewhere - the number inside is 7700415853. Looks like this;

https://thumbsnap.com/1BEgM5WJ

I'll stick up a picture of the car, even though you all know what they look like 🤣

Audi S4 Avant
Pic of 'bit' attached

Attachments

• 1BEgM5WJ.jpg
    1BEgM5WJ.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 55

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Welcome (back)! Can’t help you with your plastic conundrum but I’m sure someone will!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Regarding the immobiliser issue, checking earths (namely the gearbox earth strap) and that the big white connector in the engine bay is free of corrosion are always worth checking.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Nobody got any ideas?
I don’t recognise it, but a quick forum search brings up

Photo 6 looks like you can see it on top of the plastic housing

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
If you take the plastic cover off the engine bay fuse box, then unclip the various relay boards from the side cover, you should be able to move them out of the way to see a large white connector clipped to the bottom of the fuse box area. Separate it (it’s probably on quite tightly) and check the pins for any corrosion.

Audi S4 Avant
I don’t recognise it, but a quick forum search brings up

Photo 6 looks like you can see it on top of the plastic housing
Yes! That's the puppy - I vaguely remember removing it when I sent the module off to be repaired.

Thank you so much (y)

Audi S4 Avant
If you take the plastic cover off the engine bay fuse box, then unclip the various relay boards from the side cover, you should be able to move them out of the way to see a large white connector clipped to the bottom of the fuse box area. Separate it (it’s probably on quite tightly) and check the pins for any corrosion.
Great - thanks.

Audi S4 Avant
Just thought I'd post a partial update on the immobiliser issue - it happened again a few times on an intermittent basis until I replaced the battery (which was at about 20% health) - it hasn't happened since, so fingers crossed.

Am dropping it off to Alex at AW Motorworks at the weekend for some TLC, so will get him to take another look to see if there is anything else amiss.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just thought I'd post a partial update on the immobiliser issue - it happened again a few times on an intermittent basis until I replaced the battery (which was at about 20% health) - it hasn't happened since, so fingers crossed.

Am dropping it off to Alex at AW Motorworks at the weekend for some TLC, so will get him to take another look to see if there is anything else amiss.
The issue will almost certainly be the white connector under the fuse box. Mine had exactly this issue, it was intermittent sometimes not happening for weeks at a time.

You pull the fuse blocks out of the holder, underneath you will find a large white connector, inside the white connector it will be all green and horrid. With the battery positive lead disconnected set about the connector with contact cleaner, I like to use some 800 grit paper on the contacts wrapped around a lolly stick, then wash out with more contact cleaner (I use IPA and a tooth brush). Once all the contacts look lovely (the female side is harder) fill the connectors up with silicon grease and reassemble. The silicon grease somewhat seals the connectors and stops moisture getting back in to ruin your lovely job.