ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear bearing come apart

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
So, before starting to wash and polish I thought I'd fit the PMS hub spacers. While getting the brake discs off it looks like the whole bearing has come apart instead of sliding off.

Does this mean new discs/bearings or will it slide back together?

20200326_113828.jpg

20200326_113941.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
That "Should" go back together.

Just make sure you get no sh!t in the bearing, do up the nut and then see how it feels. You should know if it's fubar when you torque the hub nut up..

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I'm open and posting parts out for people, just asking people not to come to the unit to collect parts mate (y)

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Not at all! Not for road use and definitely not on track, not a thing to skimp on, will just call it bad luck that it broke as the other one wasn't too bad coming off.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It was missing the hub caps so I think just corrosion between the axle and the bearing, there was quite a bit of rust on the axle.

The other side came off without too much trouble though so I guess I was just unlucky as well!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I've had exactly the same. Slight corrosion on a patch of the stub was enough to hold the bearing on.

I couldn't even remove the disc on mine with a lump hammer, had to use a hub puller.

Screenshot_20200326-233037.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
@Amos91 what did you do to prevent this in the future? Did you grease the stub?

I'm a bit lt sure if you should even grease the stub, I can imagine that you would need friction to keep the bearing from spinning around the stub?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
@Amos91 what did you do to prevent this in the future? Did you grease the stub?

I'm a bit lt sure if you should even grease the stub, I can imagine that you would need friction to keep the bearing from spinning around the stub?
You're not really meant to grease the stub mate. Just a clean down and at most a very very thin rub with some anti-seize to stop anything grabbing hold

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I thought, thanks!

Can't get the hub caps right away but will get them as soon as possible to stop this from happening again!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Quite common for bearings to come apart like this when removing rear discs or drums. Looks to be ok wear wise from the pics, i would clean it up, regrease and retorque, will be fine.

Before all car bearings changed to sealed cartridge type, you packed the wheel bearing full of grease as it came apart like this, and set the preload on the castle nut, no torquing or nowt.