ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear brake installation - fairly urgent advice requested

172 Track Car
Morning team,

Just had been the rear pads fall out on the sighting laps, could someone let me know what side of the caliper the pad retention/slider bar goes in? Top or bottom for both OS abd NS corners

Currently driving home to get bits with the hope to be out later

FF Clio 182
I put the springs at the top and the slide retainer at the bottom. Make sure you fit the locking pin for the slider

172 Track Car

Unfortunately so, the caliper mounting bracket was f**ked, the sliders on the caliper are ok (I think) but the bolt holes that hold the pad retention bracket are no longer aligned, as is the pad retention bracket itself.

As for the bolts, one of the bolts that goes through the sliders is completely shagged, the pads took a 3mm nibble out of a wheel spoke and the deformation of the four bolts holding the stub/caliper carrier/beam together are spectacular.

Bit scary really, made one hell of a bang and the had no brakes. We're as certain as can be that it was installation error on our part, shame really as we had RC8 pads in the back... From now on split pins only for the sliders...

2001 Clio 172
Thread hijack - I don't want to make another when this is on topic (apologies Alex). Me and my mate went to change the rear discs and pads on my 172 yesterday and got stuck when trying to fit the new pads onto the calliper on either side of the new disc. The gap on the left hand side of the disc (if you were looking at the back left wheel from behind) seemed too small to fit the new thicker pad in. The right hand side pad went in no problem as the gap was bigger. We followed the guides on here and seemed to do everything right so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I assume its going to be something silly like the piston wasn't wound in fully, but highly annoying as we ended up re-fitting the old stuff!

FF Clio 182
Did you wind the piston in? Slide the calliper back and lined the little tabs on the back of the pas with the grooves on the piston ?

FF Clio 182
Oh and another thing; have you fitted the spacer to the back of the disc as that will cause it sit closer into the hub

2001 Clio 172
Hi Carl - Yes the piston was wound in, maybe it wasn't all the way back? Although not sure if this would affect the gap on the left side of the disc? Yes the spacer was fitted.

Many.
Left and right doesn't work without telling us what side of the car you were doing.

The caliper, slides in and out, so that will be your issue imo.

2001 Clio 172
They definitely move outwards? I can't picture how they move but will have a go at yanking it! :)

182cup & 172 racecar
The caliper, slides in and out, so that will be your issue imo.

I very nearly got caught like this when I first did the race car ones, in a hurry and wasn't thinking straight.

Feel such a fool when you sit and think about it for a min.