ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear caliper, stuck firm!

330i. E30 Touring.
Having a few niggly problems with one of my rear calipers.

While both bolts that hold the caliper on are done up tight, the caliper won't slide as it's meant to! It doesn't make a difference which one you loosen, but as soon as you loosen either bolt even half a turn, it slides freely and works as it should.

Anybody got any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Cheers guys.

Golf GTD Mk7
The nuts should be tight mate, so loosening will make no difference really. You'll need to remove the slider pins and regrease them. Really easy to do. Remove disc/carrier to make it easier. If they are like mine the boots might be worn, but couldn't work out how to remove them so just regrease. if they do it again i will just regrease.

330i. E30 Touring.
And that sorted it?

Think I'll have it apart at the weekend.

I just found it strange that it moves freely until both bolts are done.

Golf GTD Mk7
is it the sliders that move when they are loose or the bolts themselves? Mine seemed to be fine once regreased yeah. You're not losing anything by giving them a look. Hour job tops.

What made you notice they weren't sliding in the first place?

330i. E30 Touring.
The sliders move when the bolts aren't done up tight, but they stiffen up and go solid once the bolts are tightened.

Nope. Will do one night this week.

Rust was appearing on the disc in a ring around the outside. Where the pad wasn;t touching it.

330i. E30 Touring.
There's also a bit too much play in the disc itself. Doesn't feel too steady.

Will be replacing it asap.

Golf GTD Mk7
hmmm wierd. If it's not that i'm stumped mate. From what i can tell there wasn't much that could go wrong with the sliders really.

Ph1
Sounds to me like you need new disks. Could be warped or the bearings failing hence the movement.

There shouldnt be any play in the disk even if the caliper is fully off